Itunes Closure

I’m certainly not thinking downloading is over. 

If Apple, destroyer of CD, breaker of Walkmans, and creator of the most successful MP3 player is giving up the download, is the download already in trouble?

Music download, welcome to niche status?

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2019/06/02/apple-itunes-finished/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Morning News - 20190603

Edited by furtherpale

The End of Downloads? I think not. The end of Apple as the go to music source of a generation? Again, I think not. The end of Apple plundering that generation who have grown up thinking that they are the ducks nuts? Definitely, positively not! But how does this affect us and the wider, non Apple acolyte world?

I suppose that depends upon just how much the individual is reliant on Apple for their music. Personally, it doesn't affect me one little bit. I suspect that the people who use Spotify, Tidal,et al may find that it's a bit of a nothing event as well.

There are always going to be people who want to have their own personal copy of whatever music floats their boat, be that an Edison roll, a shellac 78, vinyl, cd, or as a file residing on a hard drive. For them the streaming services are like a tasting platter in a fancy restaurant, you give everything a try and having done so you then go back and order the dishes that particularly took your fancy. If your restaurant of choice (to stretch the metaphor) is Apple then you have some changes coming your way which, in a years time, will appear as a fading ripple in your memory. For the rest of us life will go on as normal.

This change in the Apple business model will have no effect whatever on the way I search out, listen to and buy the music that I do. There are plenty of places to buy new music from out there aside from Apple. Bandcamp springs to mind, as does Nugs.com and UMlive. Los of studio recorded music and lots of live recorded music. A little searching on the net can find you with a myriad of options if only you take the time to look.

The choice is yours.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people hate Apple and there'll be quite a few comments on how it doesn't affect individuals BUT this whole thing impacts me and to a lesser extent the family with iTunes being made redundant.

Not because I am an apple fanboy as such but because it is really the only thing I've known and I still use the iTunes library on my PC which currently also allows me to use my iPod classic and iPod Shuffle and to store music on my PC in a library i have been able to customise to my liking and am now very familiar using etc.

i Still buy CD's and Vinyl and the only downloading i do is via 320kbps digital token from a record i've bought in which case i then put into my iTunes library so i can listen in the car or at the gym etc - I don't download music any other way so there is no loss there - I am looking to get a Tidal acct and Bluesound Node 2i in the near future.

There are obviously other programs I can use to store the music but moving things to and from my x2 iPod classics, iPhone and Shuffle is potentially now an issue -

I'll need to find another program like iTunes to store the music and play it from my PC etc  that will hopefully have all the options of iTunes like genre's as want them, cover art etc but the thing i am most keen on is the future and ongoing usability of my iPod classic and shuffle

All this said, i am hopeful/confident there is plenty of folk out there that still use an iPod classic at home or traveling,  still use a shuffle while running or going to the gym etc so Apple you would think need to accommodate this somehow?

I have read just now there is going to be separate apps for movies and music and streaming but nothing yet for PC users and nothing regarding existing music libraries and users of previous Apple products like iPods and Shuffles etc.

• Like 1

Im guessing that although Apple will discontinue the product as such, the software will remain operational - just no more updates etc....I have ignored the update offers for years, having been burned with so called 'improvements' in the past only to find things i like removed or slow the system down.  I have an old ipod as my music source in the car so I hope the Itunes software will continue.  Ive never use the store however, so Im unsure what will happen there.

Tomorrow we'll all find out but yes I hope the software remains as it is (no further updates is fine by me) and i'll make a copy of the program files in case it all goes to poo.

There is likely to be quite a few people that dont care for the download side of things and itunes store etc but just want the program and functionality for their iPods and shuffles.  If the program remains and just grows old i am quite happy with that outcome LOL

cheers

I actually read about this earlier also, it seems as though mac users will have separate apps for their music, podcasts and movies. PC users (like me) will see no change for 12months and then who knows but ultimately it means no change for me and many others who still use a shuffle or iPod classic etc.

17 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

i've never used the cloud, it scares me LOL

haha I know. I'm not too keen on putting anything bar music up there. reality though is with things like photo stream and contacts and such all that is up in the cloud. and handy when changing phones and such.

its just matter of sliding a little bar across that says ... use iCloud.... but then it can cost depending on how much want to put up there :) a little bit is free.... :) 

• Like 1

Not really sorry to see it go (the iTunes everything idea)

Had experiences installing iTunes to extract data from various friend's iPhones to a Windows Box. Apple doesn't want your data to leave the Apple Universe. Freaked me out so much I built a virtual computer, installed iTunes on that. Afterwards deleted every last trace of the virtual machine :)
(sorry never liked the new Apple, ie. post Apple II in the 70s)

Back to topic - is this just a change of name and branding? Doubt greatly the library will change to online/cloud only. I just spent a long weekend on holiday - phone data was rarely around, even on major highways. Can't lose your music there.