YouTube 5.1 sound clips

Just tried a couple of 5.1 Test clips on Youtube through my surround sound set-up and although the sound was sort of impressive and the picture quality good, the sound was only through the front 3 speakers and the sub with the AV receiver only showing Pro-logic , but there was no rear sound.. Is this normal for Youtube?

Try different setting on AVR. 5.1 . I can get 5.1 sound form Youtube but my AVR doesn't always switch automatically, sometimes it sounds weird so I have to change the setting manually.  No dolby atmos though. 

23 hours ago, Irek said:

Try different setting on AVR. 5.1 . I can get 5.1 sound form Youtube but my AVR doesn't always switch automatically, sometimes it sounds weird so I have to change the setting manually.  No dolby atmos though. 

A quick search on Google and l find i'm not alone. A lot saying that Youtube does not do 5.1 surround.

So why would they show 5.1 in their search menu ?     -   confused !

3 hours ago, Grumpy said:

A quick search on Google and l find i'm not alone. A lot saying that Youtube does not do 5.1 surround. 

So why would they show 5.1 in their search menu ?     -   confused !

Strictly speaking Grumpy it doesn't do 5.1 surround ;instead its a 5.1 > 2.0 mixdown that retains the phase relationships of the rear surrounds into the front L/R and drops the .1 lfe . In other words what we used to have in the old days ;  dd2.0 :) Diffferent sources have differing 5.1 capabilities like a ps4 explained below.  Heres a good background on the ins and outs over the years and currently..

• Like 1