Sign in to follow this  
Jon Snow

Help with SoTM / EUNHASU config

I suppose I should ask, is the unit still under warranty?

I get the audio files listed in the MUSIC folder. They play in a windows music app. So I’m convinced that the hard drive is working properly and the sotm is networking.

The bit I’m struggling with is the way to direct the Eunhasu program to find the hard drive so I can control the sotm interface.
I figure I do have to specify the path so that the Logitech can read the library and let me choose tracks via my phone app.

I’m waving the white flag tonight.
I’ll give this another go tomorrow night.
Thanks for your help and ideas Mark, much appreciated.

I'll think about it tonight.

@bilbo
Bill , do you have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this situation?
My guess is the correct description of the file path in library config screen......... I’ve tried many combinations without success

@Bilbo that'll get him. 

Hi Mark
I noticed a new sub folder in my windows explorer - NAS.
This is name I’ve given to my library in Eunhasu.
When I click on NAS sub folder I can see all the music files.
Sadly, I still can’t access the library via Eunhasu.
I’m unsure why this subfolder now exists , as I have the library path configured as I have previously, being:

//[iP Address]/mwdata/music/USB1/MUSIC

Can I ask how your library config is expressed on the Eunhasu screen?

c1c4b4626c1b940a80b52e15b937f4af.jpg089c805d078a07ac530e290dd6eb514b.jpg

I did it!!!
I got my music library remounted.
I can know blissfully enjoy 39797 tracks at my leisure.
Thanks Mark for your help. You were right that the NAS setting was a red herring.
I upgraded to V 4.59 and all is back on track.
The process to update the sotm software ain’t so easy first time around but I got there in the end.

Sorry mate, i dropped off the map there for a bit. I am flat out at work with a few presentations happening. Glad to hear it was went well. 

Now you can go back to enjoying your music collection ;)

Well done. Glad to see you got it worked out. I deliberately avoided giving advice earlier because I'm Windoze illiterate.

I found by trial and error that reloading the SD card is the answer to most problems.

@Jon Snow

Sorry I've not provided some support earlier but I have been flat out and no time for audio this past week so I'm glad you worked out the problem.

Now here's a tip for you to try.

@scumbag & @a.dent

Instead of connecting an outboard hard drive to your SMS-200 using the two available horizontal USB connectors use the dedicated vertical output USB connection. (The one SOtM recommends for the DAC).  In other words - swap your input and output USB connections.  This follows the old Linn theory that the best signal should start at the source - in this case the music files on your hard drive.

A friend told me about this, so I tried it and to my great surprise it sounded much better.  The dimension/sound stage and timbral balance sounded far better.

So easy to do and sounds much better (to my ears anyway).  

58 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

@Jon Snow

Sorry I've not provided some support earlier but I have been flat out and no time for audio this past week so I'm glad you worked out the problem.

Now here's a tip for you to try.

@scumbag & @a.dent

Instead of connecting an outboard hard drive to your SMS-200 using the two available horizontal USB connectors use the dedicated vertical output USB connection. (The one SOtM recommends for the DAC).  In other words - swap your input and output USB connections.  This follows the old Linn theory that the best signal should start at the source - in this case the music files on your hard drive.

A friend told me about this, so I tried it and to my great surprise it sounded much better.  The dimension/sound stage and timbral balance sounded far better.

So easy to do and sounds much better (to my ears anyway).  

I never thought of trying that. I'm not sure I agree with the logic but I'll give it a go.

Andrew,

I'll admit, I'm wondering about the logic too but I've learned over the years to not be too quick to discount things and at least try them out. After all, this is a free tweak so nothing lost in trying it. I would have assumed that the "audio" usb would be tweaked to give the lowest noise and lowest jitter.

However, if we are talking about the "best" way to link a HDD to a device then I have to bring up my experience. I was over all bilbo's place a month or so ago and I noted he had all his music stored on a WD Purple (surveillance) drive with NewerTech Voyager S3 USB 3.0 Dock. I use a NUC running Roon Rock and have my music library directly connected to it. I got hold of one of the docks on Ebay. Anyway, the combination of that dock and a WD Red (NAS) drive versus the existing 2.5" external HDD that I have been using was easily identifiable in blind tests (i did single blind on myself and I did a double blind with a mate). As permanent solution I ended up getting  a 6Tb Seagate Ironwolf (NAS) drive. The NAS drives are rated for 1 million hours and for 24 hour use. They also run very quiet, use low energy and have internal harmonic balancing. I also went for the Seagate Ironwolf as it has a larger cache than the WD equivalent. If you have powered dock of decent quality and a good quality HDD (NAS or Surveillance) then it would be worth the 30 minutes it would take to try this out.

Guest Arni
On 09/06/2019 at 4:29 PM, scumbag said:

Andrew,

I'll admit, I'm wondering about the logic too but I've learned over the years to not be too quick to discount things and at least try them out. After all, this is a free tweak so nothing lost in trying it. I would have assumed that the "audio" usb would be tweaked to give the lowest noise and lowest jitter.

However, if we are talking about the "best" way to link a HDD to a device then I have to bring up my experience. I was over all bilbo's place a month or so ago and I noted he had all his music stored on a WD Purple (surveillance) drive with NewerTech Voyager S3 USB 3.0 Dock. I use a NUC running Roon Rock and have my music library directly connected to it. I got hold of one of the docks on Ebay. Anyway, the combination of that dock and a WD Red (NAS) drive versus the existing 2.5" external HDD that I have been using was easily identifiable in blind tests (i did single blind on myself and I did a double blind with a mate). As permanent solution I ended up getting  a 6Tb Seagate Ironwolf (NAS) drive. The NAS drives are rated for 1 million hours and for 24 hour use. They also run very quiet, use low energy and have internal harmonic balancing. I also went for the Seagate Ironwolf as it has a larger cache than the WD equivalent. If you have powered dock of decent quality and a good quality HDD (NAS or Surveillance) then it would be worth the 30 minutes it would take to try this out.

Hi Mark, so your 6tb Seagate Ironwolf NAS is connected to the vertical output USB as Bilbo has suggested?

Thank you 

Posted (edited)

No.  I use a NUC running Roon Rock and have my music library directly connected to it.  

I find the direct connection to work best for me. 

Edited by scumbag

I switched my USB in/out on the sotm today as per Bill’s suggestion.
It works well. No issue accessing the library on my outboard hard drive.
I can’t discern any SQ differences. I’ll leave it this way for a month and switch back and I should be able to hear any differences then.