Sign in to follow this  
wolster

New or old turntable?

I was in at @Douglas HiFi this morning and spotted a Denon DP-1200 direct drive turntable set up in one of the listening areas.

Bit surprised to see a 40 year old TT in that area but Simon explained that he had set it up for testing after a service and new cartridge installed. The owner had originally called in with the intention of buying a new turntable but when Simon asked what it would be replacing, he suggested to first try a service and and new cartridge.

Well I had to have a listen, didn't I? - and I didn't hesitate to ask if we could compare it with a new turntable north of $2K that was sitting on the same rack.

I hope Simon's boss doesn't read this but that customer saved serious dollars. Both decks had a 2M black installed and the Denon won hands down. More detail, better sound stage and just more enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks for the demo, Simon - and the coffee :thumb:

what would have been the value of the Denon new, compared to a $2K tt today ?

Many vintage turntables hold their quality, and are much better than current new.  

I wonder how good the currently manufactured turntables will be in 40 years. 

19 minutes ago, wen said:

what would have been the value of the Denon new, compared to a $2K tt today ?

Good question. Would be interesting to know.

Posted (edited)

@wen...In 1978 it sold for around $600 AUD...

Apparently allowing for inflation that is approx. $2.3k today.

So when a customer asked me should  he buy a new turntable or get his serviced and i found out it was a quality vintage deck i recommended getting it serviced unless he was wanting to spend 3k+..

He  elected to get it serviced and once it came back I had a good listen... and whilst today's T/T (3-4 k retail) had a lower noise floor... the vintage deck had a superior  soundstage, (better definition and seperation of instruments).. it also had better texture/definition across the whole bandwidth  and a better transient attack as well as superior overall detail.

Bass was also more clearly defined, tuneful  and less bloated...

Please keep in mind that the vintage deck was quite a high end deck that had just had a full service to return it ot it's full glory by Mike at https://liquidaudio.com.au  (great tech in Perth)  👍

Both decks had Ortofon 2M Black cartridges mounted and were listened to through the same phono pre.

download.jpeg.jpg.aa8a3dceb90e232887ec17558285db5c.jpg

(This pic is generic off the web not the actual unit.. however it was in 9/10 cosmetic condition).  🙂

Edited by Douglas HiFi
Captioned photo

Hi Wolster,

I bought my DP-1200 in early eighties for about $430, couldn't find the sales docket. Put it in cupboard about 2002,

because I was playing CD's more and had more by that time than LP's. Pulled it out about 2-3 years ago after hearing people here rabbiting on how good Vinyl was. Had to buy phono pre amp, an Ortofon 2m red and Knosti cleaner. Which I know improved sound compared to 2002. Don't regret that one bit.

Great to hear someone talking about this TT, I love it and have no reason to change but I don't listen to any others.

I would certainly recommend it. I don't really think of it being nearly  40 yrs old, it's my current TT.

I have always liked the "flying saucer" design of the Denon turtnables.

Posted (edited)

Great looking turntables.

I have a Denon DP 57I as my back up table, to my VPI TNT.

Edited by handysteel

I certainly wont be moving my DP75 on any time soon either!

It would have been easy to recommend the new TT, but all kudos to  Simon for recommending the service for the old Denon, so that was great advice. Apart from wiring and maybe the odd capacitor or two, the old turntables don't actually degrade. Sometimes a bit of judicious damping is recommended but the superb engineering always remains on the old stagers. 

Popped into Audio Connection in Sydney a few months ago. They had several vintage direct drive turntables from Denon, Luxman and Yamaha. The Denon's grabbed my attention with their big rosewood plinths and flying-saucer styled platters. The build looks very high quality and they are stunning to look at! Shame they don't make them like that anymore!