Recording 24/96 Digital Output ?

I looking for a solution to record 24/96 music from a digital source (Toslink or RCA coax).  There are expensive pro audio boxes which I am trying to avoid.  Also,  not keen for the cheap e-Bay boxes which claim to do everything but of dubious quality.  I suspect a solution will involve taking the Toslink,/RCA coax input and inputting via USB to a laptop but am open to other options.   Getting an internal sound card is out since it is Win 10 laptop.

The closest reasonably priced option is a Sound Blaster Digital Music Premium HD (also known as Sound Blaster X-Fi HD).  Has anyone tried it?   Are there any other options to record 24/96 digital output?

I use an RME Fireface 400, a FireWire interface to a Mac Mini, then Bias software on the Mac. It’s an ADC but has digital inputs as well. Superseded by USB interfaces now. I use it for digitising analog. Probably a bit more $$ than you want to spend, but it’s very good. There are cheaper USB interfaces for Mac/Windows machines. No more than a couple of hundred bucks, Focusrite, Presonus etc, have a look at some pro music shops like The Electric Room www.electricroom.com.au or Soundcorp www.soundcorp.com.au You need one with digital input 

• Like 1

I use a tascam uh-7000 for digitising analog as well. fantastic unit.

though very capable I am not sure will do exactly what you are hoping but I wouldn't be surprised if there isnt a similar Tascam unit that does exactly what you are after.

Guest Muon N'

I used to capture with just line input into the PC's on-board sound using Audacity, worked fine and didn't sound too bad too. You could do the same and use a half decent sound card for an even better result.

3 hours ago, frednork said:

Just looking to understand a bit better. Can you explain a bit further why?

Looking to see whether I can extract higher resolution music from blu ray audio which is usually at least 24/96.  I tried the normal way of ripping the disc and using a software package like DVD Audio but the extracted music is 24/48 from the DTS layer.  Have a HDMI de-embedder can generate either a Toslink or RCA coax signal at 24/96.   Hence, the post for a method of recording this 24/96 signal. 

Thank you @mjs and @betty boop for the  pro audio suggestions.  Have looked at some of those units and the ones with a digital input tend to be the higher end, more expensive units.  I have about 25 blu ray audio discs, so difficult to justify a pro audio unit.

And agree with @Muon N' that the external sound card that I mentioned should be better than line-in with Audacity.

I have a spdif extractor on my hdmi line from my AppleTV as well, not sure that it’s absolutely great quality, point being that maybe there’s not a lot of difference b/w 48/24 and 96/24 if the latter comes out of a dodgy splitter. (He says, having recently downloaded a whole lot of 192/24 and DSD hi-Rez files [emoji1787][emoji1787])

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjs said:

I have a spdif extractor on my hdmi line from my AppleTV as well, not sure that it’s absolutely great quality, point being that maybe there’s not a lot of difference b/w 48/24 and 96/24 if the latter comes out of a dodgy splitter. (He says, having recently downloaded a whole lot of 192/24 and DSD hi-Rez files emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png)

The thought did occur in my mind that there is little if no difference between 24/48 and 24/96.  I have a decent hdmi de-embedder, maybe it may make a difference???  

8 hours ago, Music2496 said:

Interesting, thank you.  I had a detailed look at the manual and it does not do Toslink to usb. 

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I had a detailed look at the manual and it does not do Toslink to usb. 

I use it everyday for TOSlink to USB...

I feed HQPlayer Embedded Server via a TOSlink source... Any TOSlink source -> USBstreamer -> HQPe Server...

943671797_ScreenShot2019-06-02at10_48_28am.thumb.png.36fd4d055a7a6f3a830e71c719dfe206.png

Edited by Music2496

1 hour ago, frednork said:

35 minutes ago, The Rock Puppy said:

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but have a look at DVDFab Hi-Fi Audio Converter ( https://www.dvdfab.cn/hi-fi-audio-converter.htm?trackID=headmenu2#tech_specs ). It might do what you want. Has a free trial, too!

Thank you for both your suggestions.  I am looking for an alternative to ripping the BD Audio (at least one unable to rip) and correct me if I am wrong, but the rips are at 24/48?

22 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

I use it everyday for TOSlink to USB...

I feed HQPlayer Embedded Server via a TOSlink source... Any TOSlink source -> USBstreamer -> HQPe Server...

943671797_ScreenShot2019-06-02at10_48_28am.thumb.png.36fd4d055a7a6f3a830e71c719dfe206.png

Ooops!  I assume you can then use Audacity to record?

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Ooops!  I assume you can then use Audacity to record?

Dunno... you could jump on miniDSP's forum and ask them?

As per my screenshot above it is plug and play on macOS and Linux and they have a Windows ASIO/WDM driver...

So my guess is it will work as TOSlink to USB for anything... I can't imagine it being limited to specific apps...

You can also ask miniDSP if they have a money back guarantee, to make purchasing a bit less risky.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

Dunno... you could jump on miniDSP's forum and ask them?

Thank you.  This topic does cover stereo Toslink to USB to a Win 10 laptop.  It looks like this will do the job!  ?

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/usbstreamer/13611-how-to-get-pcm-stereo-above-44-1-over-toslink

Edited by Snoopy8
added link
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thank you.  This topic does cover stereo Toslink to USB to a Win 10 laptop.  It looks like this will do the job!  ?

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/usbstreamer/13611-how-to-get-pcm-stereo-above-44-1-over-toslink

If you go down this path, first thing you need to do is load the correct firmware when your receive it.

They have different firmwares because the thing can do multiple different things.

The firmware you want to load for stereo TOSlink to USB is the folder named "Stereo" below.

503660210_ScreenShot2019-06-02at11_39_40am.png.f0c7700f625e32b63a1f371a746e8502.png

Edited by Music2496
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thank you for both your suggestions.  I am looking for an alternative to ripping the BD Audio (at least one unable to rip) and correct me if I am wrong, but the rips are at 24/48?

Havent done this myself but they indicate direct transfer to 24/96.

Regarding recording I have to wonder if a 24/96 recorded stream in that environment is actually going to better a 24/48 rip anyway. will be easier though

see here also

https://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=614

1) AudioMuxer --> Tools --> Extract Audio From DVD-Video
2) Select VTS*IFO file
3) AudioMuxer should show the VOB file with "DTS-96/24 5.1 Channels, 1510 kbs, 96kHz"
4) Check "Load In AudioMuxer And Split in Chapters"
5) Check "Rename"
6) Check "Export to Flac" and choose your compression level (all are lossless, 8 is smallest file)
7) Do not check "As SPDIF WAV"
? Click on the DTS line
9) Press Extract
10) Choose where to write output file(s)
11) Enter Tagging info
12) Press Tag
13) Save Cue file

Extraction in Progress

14) Rename files if needed, otherwise press quit
15) Mouse over ("hover") the eac32to line, you should see a pop up showing the output of the eac3to operation, 

16) Open on of the flac files in foobar. It should show as "FLAC | 7486 kps | 96000 Hz | 6ch" in foobar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Looking to see whether I can extract higher resolution music from blu ray audio which is usually at least 24/96.  I tried the normal way of ripping the disc and using a software package like DVD Audio but the extracted music is 24/48 from the DTS layer.  Have a HDMI de-embedder can generate either a Toslink or RCA coax signal at 24/96.   Hence, the post for a method of recording this 24/96 signal.

It may be that by using the word "recording" in your first post youve implied your doing an analogue to digital ADC process and that might explain  subsequent posts being being misdirected. I think your wanting to capture the SPDIF data? I wonder if its worth it? SPDIF cant handle high bit rate multichannel data. TOSLINK receivers can give timing errors.  A 48kHz direct rip seems like it would offer more reliable data then a 96kHz TOSLINK SPDIF capture but Im just guessing.  Can linux machines extract the 96kHz audio files?

• Like 1

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but have a look at DVDFab Hi-Fi Audio Converter ( https://www.dvdfab.cn/hi-fi-audio-converter.htm?trackID=headmenu2#tech_specs ). It might do what you want. Has a free trial, too!

I was a little intrigued by this product. I think I have seen previous versions, it looked like it might suit the OP requirements if you have a BR drive available. Anyway, downloaded the trial version (I think!) but buggered if I could get the audio rip to work, software is not that user friendly IMO, documentation just as bad, dare I say it, a typical Chinese product. Expected that it might do the trick, but I couldn’t get it to work using a 5,1 Mac Pro with a BluRay drive, plenty of grunt, but no cigar [emoji1787][emoji1787]
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your inputs.  It has made me re-think what I am trying to do. Decided to revisit Blu ray ripping again where I had, a few years ago, limited success.  This second look has produced better results with the following tools:

• MakeMKV to rip the Blue ray audio disc and create a mkv file
  • Music Media Helper (Manual) to split mkv to flac files
  • Use combination of Music Media Helper and MP3tag to update tags
On 01/06/2019 at 10:37 PM, Snoopy8 said:

I tried the normal way of ripping the disc and using a software package like DVD Audio but the extracted music is 24/48 from the DTS layer. 

Just to correct my own earlier confusion, you can only get 24/48 if you convert multi channel music to stereo.  If there is a 24/96 stereo layer, it can ripped at that resolution

• Like 1