Sign in to follow this  
GavL65

Upgrade tonearm on Thorens TD160B MKII

After several years of very pleasurable listening to vinyl on my Thorens TD160B MKII (purchased off StereoNet and pictured below), it's time to start to add my own personal touches.  My 160B came with the TP11 tonearm.  I'm thinking of changing it out for an SME 3009 or similar to start to see how far I can push the TT!!  Any advice on the first of my mods would be greatly appreciated.  I'd also be keen to hear from other Thorens owners on what they've done to their TD160's!!

20190531_071251.jpg

20190531_071238.jpg

Well I am a big fan of the SME3009 arms myself.  I have 2  variants,one on my main turntable, and one on a Technics SL-150 DD (a classic combo).

Good luck and  have fun with your upgrades.

In my experience Thorens pair well with rega arm. Value for money also it's great

@GavL65

The Thorens tonearm should be a bit better than an SME 3009 series 2.  (I assume that's the one you're thinking of?)

Both the Thorens and the SME are designed for high compliance cartridges.

A modern Origin Live tonearm will be an upgrade over the vintage tonearms IMO. Having said that, I still think tonearm differences are in the realms of subtle degrees, not massive as some people suggest.

If you meant to say SME 309, then that's different, that would be an upgrade....

You haven't mentioned budget? The SME3009 is okay, not great, but well overpriced in the current market.  I'd go with a Jelco or pimped Rega arm (because the stock ones are schit).  

I’ve had a few of these tables with Rega arms that have been upgraded. They work very well.

I have an adapter plate for Thorens/Rega somewhere you can have for free should you go this route. 

The 250 from memory goes well. Try and get one that’s been cardas wired or similar. 

The SME might be better if you like cart swapping. 

10 hours ago, Peter_F said:

You haven't mentioned budget? The SME3009 is okay, not great, but well overpriced in the current market.  I'd go with a Jelco or pimped Rega arm (because the stock ones are schit).  

Thanks Peter_F.

The Rega's appear to be the most popular suggestion so far. As for budget, it would all depend on what it is and what condition it's in. 

9 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

I’ve had a few of these tables with Rega arms that have been upgraded. They work very well.

I have an adapter plate for Thorens/Rega somewhere you can have for free should you go this route. 

The 250 from memory goes well. Try and get one that’s been cardas wired or similar. 

The SME might be better if you like cart swapping. 

Hey there Jakeyb77.  This is one of your old TT's!! I might need to switch my focus to finding an upgraded Rega!!

1 hour ago, GavL65 said:

Hey there Jakeyb77.  This is one of your old TT's!! I might need to switch my focus to finding an upgraded Rega!!

Haha it is too! Let me know if you need the plate. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)