Hi

Is the foam disc inside headphones (over the ear can types, in my case HD650 specificially) just made out of a regular type of foam that you could buy a sheet of and cut to size? What's so special about the 'authentic Sennheisser' replacement, if anything?

Thanks

I don't know about the foam but with the pads it changes the sound signature drastically.
I would just stick to the Sennheiser ones just so I know that I'm getting the designed sound signature that I originally paid for.

Hi
Is the foam disc inside headphones (over the ear can types, in my case HD650 specificially) just made out of a regular type of foam that you could buy a sheet of and cut to size? What's so special about the 'authentic Sennheisser' replacement, if anything?

Thanks
  • Like 1

In the case of the HD650 it is mostly just protection from hair etc for the driver.

In the case of like thte HD558, the denser foam on the backside is there to make it sound different to teh HD598, and thus different pricepoint.

Any super open cell structure, thin foam would probably work the same. Just make sure its very open/pourous, and quite thin, so it has minimal sound impact.

All the denser type foams and velvets etc will tend to impact the sound, same with pads. And can make a big difference on the HD650/HD6xx.

• Like 1