Signal Degradation

Hi All,

Was wondering how much degradation occurs when I am using my Sony TV as my sound hub? I have the HDMI from my Fetch Box going to the TV, also HDMI from the Blu Ray player and the HDMI from my Chromecast.  The Optical output of the TV then goes to the DAC.  This is the set up my wife prefers - one controller to rule them all!  Would anyone know what doing the above would be doing to the signal.  I am guessing adding jitter and clock issues, but in terms of distortion in general?

I have to be honest, it sounds pretty good - fine by me, so I am happy, but would just like to know how much I am disturbing the signal. 

Then if it is a bit, is there are DAC that can magically fix the signal to how it was originally?  Or is that just a dream?

Thanks,
Adam

Guest Muon N'

What DAC do you have now, that will help folk appraise if you can benefit from changing, although, remember personal preferences in sound sneak into every aspect of this hobby....but you are more than likely to be aware of this bit :)

On 30/05/2019 at 4:15 PM, Somethingclever said:

much I am disturbing the signal. 

The only way you'll know is to run the digital audio from a source straight into your amp (not via the TV) and listen for any differences to the sound. 

If you notice an improvement going direct, then you'll know the TV path is degrading the audio.

If you don't hear any differences, then you can assume the TV path isn't doing much damage.

On 30/05/2019 at 4:15 PM, Somethingclever said:

is there are DAC that can magically fix the signal to how it was originally? 

If the digital signal is not bit perfect, then no DAC can correct this, but some DACs can reclock a jittery bit perfect source which may improve the sound. 

You'll only know by listening for yourself.

2 minutes ago, eltech said:

The only way you'll know is to run the digital audio from a source straight into your amp (not via the TV) and listen for any differences to the sound. 

If you notice an improvement going direct, then you'll know the TV path is degrading the audio.

If you don't hear any differences, then you can assume the TV path isn't doing much damage.

If the digital signal is not bit perfect, then no DAC can correct this, but some DACs can reclock a jittery bit perfect source which may improve the sound. 

You'll only know by listening for yourself.

Ha, sometimes the answer is so obvious you cant see it! 

Will have a bit of a listen this afternoon using optical out of CD player direct to amp.  

• Like 1

You have no choice. All video/audio sources need to go to the TV first. If you run parallel audio to your dac/amp and video to the TV, you will face lip sync issues.

You will do well to take note 2 issues:

- glass optical cables generally sound better

- optical cables are directional 

(Dun ask me why)

So listen to the chosen optical cable both ways.