OAD ULTRAFIDELITY ANNOUNCES UP1 PHONO PREAMP

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Has anyone had a chance to hear this one?  I'm keen to get reports.  I'm trying to line one up with Jon at some stage to try in my system.....

I’ve had a listen and am very impressed with this, especially for the asking price. The customisation is first class as is the build quality.

23 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

This will be used at our Kii BXT night tonight!

We will be using the OAD to demonstrate our Luxman PD-171A and Ortofon A95 MC combo (with the Kii BXT system of course!!)

Can those able to check it out in WA report back perhaps?

Hi @Mat-with-one-t,

It would be preferable (and unbiased) if some of the attendees chimed in, but our feelings were that it handled itself beautifully, especially when you consider it was an important link in a chain that incorporated an $8k cartridge, an $8.5k turntable with a $50k active system. Originally we had our Luxman EQ500 on standby just in case we felt the OAD wasn't up the task, but the Luxman was never brought out for audition as the OAD is such a capable performer that shoots way above its price point.

Edited by Frank Prowse Hi-Fi
  • Like 1

Can those able to check it out in WA report back perhaps?

It was impressive - vs the digital source I thought the vinyl sounded great noting that it is digitised effectively by the Kii - others may be more eloquent but I really liked the cart/tt/phono combo - I need a bigger piggy bank. AJ
  • Like 1

Guest DarkNark
2 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Hi @Mat-with-one-t,

It would be preferable (and unbiased) if some of the attendees chimed in, but our feelings were that it handled itself beautifully, especially when you consider it was an important link in a chain that incorporated an $8k cartridge, an $8.5k turntable with a $50k active system.

2 hours ago, A J said:

It was impressive - vs the digital source I thought the vinyl sounded great noting that it is digitised effectively by the Kii - others may be more eloquent but I really liked the cart/tt/phono combo - I need a bigger piggy bank. AJ

Difficult to give impressions on one component of a chain but I will agree with AJ and say that the analogue input to the Kii system was impressive, In fact it was one of the highlights of the night for me, truely sublime. While I can't be definitive in how the AOD performed singularly, because I had never heard the system before, it certainly did not disgrace itself. 

• Volunteer
On 19/07/2019 at 2:48 PM, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

but the Luxman was never brought out

That’s a pity really as it makes it pretty hard to say what the OAD sounds like if you have no basis for comparison. 

In a system that was probably unfamiliar to most listeners, switching the phono stage (with everything else unchanged) would have enabled a more meaningful comparison to be made. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

That’s a pity really as it makes it pretty hard to say what the OAD sounds like if you have no basis for comparison. 

In a system that was probably unfamiliar to most listeners, switching the phono stage (with everything else unchanged) would have enabled a more meaningful comparison to be made. 

Perhaps, but the night wasn't about comparisons of phono stages, it was about showcasing the Kii Three BXT system. I'm sure for most who attended, it would have been their first time hearing a Luxman TT and the Ortofon A95 MC also.

Comparisons between the OAD and the Luxman can be made Tuesdays-Saturdays during our opening hours.

Edited by Frank Prowse Hi-Fi
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
Just now, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Perhaps, but the night wasn't about comparisons of phono stages, it was about showcasing the Kii Three BXT system.

Comparisons between the OAD and the Luxman can be made Tuesdays-Saturdays during our opening hours.

Understood. 

I know a couple of people who listened to the BXT demo in Melbourne and were blown away. 

Sounds like it’s an absolutely brilliant system ?

• Like 1

I’m on the hunt for a phono stage upgrade and this could fit the bill. I contacted OAD, and via Warwick from Sonic Purity, a unit will be shortly on its way to Audio Solutions in Mascot. Greg is the contact at Audio Solutions for any Sydneysiders wanting a demo. 

Have to say, the customer service experience was very prompt from all parties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goatboy said:

I’m on the hunt for a phono stage upgrade and this could fit the bill. I contacted OAD, and via Warwick from Sonic Purity, a unit will be shortly on its way to Audio Solutions in Mascot. Greg is the contact at Audio Solutions for any Sydneysiders wanting a demo. 

Let us know how you go!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 27/07/2019 at 12:43 PM, Goatboy said:

Experiences?

11 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Experiences?

I didn’t get to audition the OAD as there were production issues and the demo unit was unavailable. Instead I went with a Modwright PH9.0. from Krispy Audio. Still wouldn’t mind hearing one.

On 13/02/2020 at 9:44 AM, Goatboy said:

I didn’t get to audition the OAD as there were production issues and the demo unit was unavailable. Instead I went with a Modwright PH9.0. from Krispy Audio. Still wouldn’t mind hearing one.

How did you find the Modwright?