Sign in to follow this  
Bikkitz

SOtM SMS-200 Neo loses network / crashes

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

I've been having an ongoing problem where my SMS-200 Neo loses network connectivity and/or crashes.  Sometimes it will stay connected for several hours, other times only 10-15mins before dropping out. I cannot determine if the network service on the device has crashed, or the whole device itself as I have no way of accessing the WebUI when it happens. When this occurs:

- the web control is not accessible via the IP address
- the Roon endpoint is no longer seen on the network
- the device cannot be pinged
- it no longer appears in the connected devices list in the Asus AC66U router WebUI
- it happens when connected via ethernet or wireless (I purchased USB wifi dongle with the supported chipset - TP-Link Archer T4UH V2)
- when it crashes both lights on the front top right of the device are solid green
- pulling the power and restarting the device brings it back (until it drops out again)
- it happens using the supplied power adapter, an iFi iPower adapter and a Gieseler Kraftwerk 12v linear PSU

If music is playing it appears to stay working indefinitely. Immediately after stopping playback it will sometimes become inaccessible.

Either way it's getting very annoying as any time I walk away or stop listening for any random period of time I will return to find it unreachable.  Each time I then have to manually unplug and restart the device to continue using it.

I have re-imaged the device several times and am currently using the latest firmware (Eunhasu Web interface version : V0.4.59).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated. 

Chris
Edited by Bikkitz

I assume you are using DHCP, and its lease may have expired?  Try a fixed IP address, using something outside the DHCP range.

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you are using DHCP, and its lease may have expired?  Try a fixed IP address, using something outside the DHCP range.

Thanks but I am already using a fixed IP (192.168.1.7). DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.10.

Regardless the DHCP lease is set to 86400 seconds (24 hours). The problem can appear after only 10 minutes of operation.

Did the problem just occur?  Maybe you need to go back a version or two??

Also, contacted SOtM support yet?  They are very good and I once had an engineer logging in to my unit.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Did the problem just occur?  Maybe you need to go back a version or two??

Also, contacted SOtM support yet?  They are very good and I once had an engineer logging in to my unit.

I've just contacted SOtM support, awaiting a response.

It was boxed away for a period until we moved recently and I've only ever had v0.4.5+ firmwares on it. The only other firmware available for download at the moment from SOtM is v0.4.4. I've given it a go but the WiFi dongle doesn't work, which is kind of essential for me. Either way I realise troubleshooting with an ethernet cable connection on the older firmware will be needed - I'm yet to do this as it's not practical to have it connected by ethernet cable permanently at my house.

I heard back from Kamal at Crux Audio. The unit is now getting shipped back to May in South Korea for repair.

The problem now seems to be getting worse. Last night it crashed mid song (the first time I've had this occur). The whole unit locked up and I had to pull the power and restart. As a side note I've always (since new) found the webUI to be very slow and unresponsive to use. Sometimes clicking the settings box can take 5-10 seconds for the setting page to open. I had always chalked it up to being a low powered device that wasn't optimised for performance to serve the webUI, but perhaps this was never normal? Now it sometimes wont open at all and just sits in waiting state.