Great Buys On Ebay, Gumtree, Marketplace etc.

1 hour ago, shovel said:

If you had a maximum bid ahead of the current bid entered and someone fluked it and matched it, it jumps to that price but first in best dressed.

Usually the other bidder comes back later to out bid you...but not always.

Thanks. That's what I thought. So far no come back after a day or so but a bit of time left :)

15 hours ago, Lazz said:

Do you know what price the other hifi items sold for?

Hi Lazz

I jotted down all the prices for the sale.  Is there anything specific you were interested in?

In response to previous queries, the Sunfire PA's went for $725 and $750 and the ML-3 went for $2700, including a "flat bed trolley";)  There was a 15% "buyers premium, though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tony M said:

Hi Lazz

I jotted down all the prices for the sale.  Is there anything specific you were interested in?

In response to previous queries, the Sunfire PA's went for $725 and $750 and the ML-3 went for $2700, including a "flat bed trolley";)  There was a 15% "buyers premium, though.

From memory, the Metaxas pre went for about $550 and the power about $850.

Just in case we forgot that we have quite a few friends of Modular Electronics (ME) amps and such, I present 3 from eBay:

ME750 amp (in Bankstown, NSW)

ME850 amp (in Townsville, Qld) Appears to be a weather-beaten unit, previously advertised here or on eBay.

Whoo! Big boy ME1500 amp. Leichhardt, New South Wales (Audioconnection store)

Edited by Uncle Seth
grammar

7 hours ago, Tony M said:

Hi Lazz

do you know what the melos amps and pre went for?

3 hours ago, kelossus said:

The monoblocks went for $1000 and $1300 a piece. Unsure on the preamp.

on well, i can never score a bargain from those auction sites as i can never figure out how to bid. 

1 hour ago, Herbyj said:

Anyone know what the various Apogee speakers went for?

The Scintilla's went for around $1200 which was a bargain IMO. The Cenatur minors sold for $650 and the other two models, the Stage and the Duetta Sig went for a little over $2000, I can't remember the exact $$$

Calipers $2,000, Duettas $2,100, Scintillas $1,250 (query re meeting reserve?) miniGrands $2,200 plus $775 for DAX.

The Duetta's were the only ones I saw with all the ribbons apparently in reasonable nick.  I missed the Calipers as they didn't have stands and were on a table somewhere that I didn't find.

The auctioneer obviously had no idea about this gear - eg no idea whether it was "Per" or "Pre" amp.  In particular, selling a stereo pair of mono amps seperately and selling the Apogee mini grands with the DAX in a different lot seemed bizarre to me.   I wasn't bothered as the condition of the ribbons quelled any interest I might have had.

Still, it was interesting seeing this gear again as it used to be owned by a well-known (now late) Adelaide second-hand hifi dealer back in the day.  In fact I bought my first pair of Apogee ribbons from him 30 years ago.

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tony M said:

Still, it was interesting seeing this gear again as it used to be owned by a well-known (now late) Adelaide second-hand hifi dealer back in the day.  In fact I bought my first pair of Apogee ribbons from him 30 years ago.

Was that the bloke in King William St?

20 minutes ago, Darryl said:

Was that the bloke in King William St?

Yeah, but prior to that he had a little shopfront in Angas Street (IIRC) for decades.  When another pair of Apogees got damaged in transit on the way to me from NSW, Audioconnection got him to fix it on their behalf.  He operated on the speaker on our pool table and reglued a stray magnet and replaced a treble/mid ribbon.  I bought several items from him over the years and even sold some to him.  He was always an interesting character to talk to and reasonable and honest to deal with.

• Like 4

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, lemarquis said:

From the ad: 

a new listing had to be created due to the last winning bidder defaulting.

Wonder if that’s the case ?

and if so why? 

9 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

and if so why? 

He also states:

"These have not been assessed by a technician or had full signal tests. Testing done was by applying power and a Bluetooth receiver to play music on large speakers which have since been sold. The LEDs on the front of the amplifiers lit up and there was undistorted sound/music from the speakers." 

Not often you see Bluetooth receiver and Krell in the same sentence O.o

I'd be a bit dubious myself at the asking price.

Edited by lemarquis
  • Like 1

• Administrator
5 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

and if so why? 

And even then, he would have had the chance to offer it to the second place bidder.

Someone being greedy, perhaps.

• Like 1

defaulting bidders are a common place on eBay.... especially where shill bids are involved :D and yes thats a good reason why people turn blind eye to 2nd chance offers... who will accept a 2nd chance offer with pumped up bids :D 

• Like 4