Great Buys On Ebay, Gumtree, Marketplace etc.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gumtree is a eBay owned business for some time now. Surprising when one hears it the first time but true.   As far as 300% profit which you call outrageous, it is not different to what super

I did my good deed for the day..    A guy listed on Gumtree FOR FREE to give away a Garrard 301 with SME 3009 Arm!!!! 😮    I promptly rang him and told him he was potentially throw

I really want to throw this SNA member under the bus for his actions lately. I sold him a set of the Yamaha's in the ad for $1900 and he has them listed at $4000 now. Also he was $100 short which he n

3 hours ago, Whites said:

That's a monster of an AV amp, 45kg in weight!

It is, but for $3,700 USED for a 10+ yo AVR that’s probably been driven to death, that guy (or girl) is totally dreaming. 
just buy today’s range topping Denon or Marantz with around $1.2-$1.5k more.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, williamvalve said:

I was wondering why it was posted here, not sure it was a great buy in the first place

it's rare to find such an ancient beast, let alone on ebay

but yes, sorry, not a great buy at all

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Wilco said:

It is, but for $3,700 USED for a 10+ yo AVR that’s probably been driven to death, that guy (or girl) is totally dreaming. 
just buy today’s range topping Denon or Marantz with around $1.2-$1.5k more.  

I was also surprised at the price as I thought I had seen similar models /range of those Denons sold on stereonet for far less than that. But I am never sure about which model / version is better as there seems to be a few of them with varying upgrades both software and hardware that have been implemented on them. 

Edited by lonewolf

Hi all,

Just wanted to alert SNA members of a current scam that is on Gumtree at the moment.  The ad is below, and the seller actually contacted me via an australian mobile, knew enough info on the speaker to sound convincing, has an legit bank account and BSB.  I followed through with payment plus some shipping costs.  The seller has gone quiet, hasn't responded to numerous messages and is uncontactable via mobile.  I'm about to report this to the police, however I'm pretty certain that I won't get my money back.  So just alerting any members of this bogus Gumtree ad so no one else goes down the same path.

image.png.18ddcd76a153b01e514632782875875c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

I am very sorry to read that mate and this is why I ALWAYS ask to attend the seller's premises to audition and inspect the goods first, if they live in the same city as myself.

I sincerely hope you can get your money returned.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

There is also a scam going on with Kef LS50w wireless speakers in Gumtree and an attempt here in SNA from about November 2020 that I can see and was affected by. Advert scam location is Sydney/Melbourne based with false IDs involved and Saint George bank account.

1 hour ago, tommy100 said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to alert SNA members of a current scam that is on Gumtree at the moment.  The ad is below, and the seller actually contacted me via an australian mobile, knew enough info on the speaker to sound convincing, has an legit bank account and BSB.  I followed through with payment plus some shipping costs.  The seller has gone quiet, hasn't responded to numerous messages and is uncontactable via mobile.  I'm about to report this to the police, however I'm pretty certain that I won't get my money back.  So just alerting any members of this bogus Gumtree ad so no one else goes down the same path.

image.png.18ddcd76a153b01e514632782875875c.png

Contact your bank ASAP and try to cancel the transfer if you can. Otherwise Money is gone...police won't do anything. Ive been there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the advice. Called my bank earlier today, but transfer has gone through. Fraud team is is going to try and recover it, but chances are slim as it needs consent from the other end.  Lesson learnt and a reminder to go with vigilance over desire!

My bank also mentioned there’s a lot of this sort of thing going on with platforms like gumtree and Facebook marketplace etc, so good suggestion on always being present for collection, another I was told is to pay upon receipt of goods.   

Yeh that harbeth is probably the same guy who listed the white kef ls50w and dynaudio confidence and one other one. Basically he lists stuff kinda cheap and says he is some remote town in whatever state you are in - so you are unlikely to drive there. I wouldn't trust to send a bank transfer to anyone on gumtree let alone dudes with accounts made in the same month as listing. I contacted him about some speaker that was listed in Sydney. As soon as I heard some remote town I ignored.

8 minutes ago, odb123 said:

Yeh that harbeth is probably the same guy who listed the white kef ls50w and dynaudio confidence and one other one. Basically he lists stuff kinda cheap and says he is some remote town in whatever state you are in - so you are unlikely to drive there. I wouldn't trust to send a bank transfer to anyone on gumtree let alone dudes with accounts made in the same month as listing. I contacted him about some speaker that was listed in Sydney. As soon as I heard some remote town I ignored.

and I will say this is same person/group that was posting Hegel amplifiers on Gumtree over last few months. Approach is exactly as  per your description. There was Hegel H200 listed on Gumtree very recently where photos were sourced from ebay UK ads - it was reported as fraud to Gumtree and gone in a day.

Edited by Ulah

I usually gooogle image search the photo.

Plus google the BSB number of the bank to see if it is in the same suburb as the seller.

and pay pay pal.

Sounds though that this guy was a good con.

Makes you wonder how he opened an Australian bank account without correct identification.

If it is the banks mistake it leaves them open to litigation.

And a slap on the wrist by the regulator.

I would also contact the regulator to investigate the bank after you notify the police and the bank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shovel said:

Makes you wonder how he opened an Australian bank account without correct identification.

the bank account is more than likely legitimate, they (the fraudster) know the police won't pursue it due to the (relatively) low sum involved so they don't care.

If their bank closes the account, they will just open another one with another bank and it is business as usual for them - it sucks, but that's how it happens

PayPal people. Cop the 2.6% and use PayPal. Never ever DD, give yourself a chance at not getting scammed.

Fingers crossed you get it back mate. Real crappy feeling.

• Like 2

For the DIY enthusiasts amongst us keen to try out the Abbas Audio DAC builds. I gather the power transformer does not need changing to suit local AC mains voltage as there are 2 primary 115 volt lines.

Thanks to @MattyW for sharing his love for these units. 👍

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649695885-abbas-esoteric-audio-dac22-special-edition/

Edited by xlr8or
Typos.
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

For the DIY enthusiasts amongst us keen to try out the Abbas Audio DAC builds. I gather the power transformer does need changing to suit local AC mains voltage as there are 2 primaries of 115 volts . Thanks to @MattyW for sharing his love for these units. 👍

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649695885-abbas-esoteric-audio-dac22-special-edition/

No worries at all. When you come across something this good..... Sort of have to share your experiences hey. ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Trevor Lees Signature Series phono and line valve preamp for sale on fleabay in Traralgon VIC:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trevor-Lees-Signature-Series-Tube-Valve-Line-Stage-Preamp-MC-Phono-Pre-/284148468165

Someone here needs to buy this! This is great bang for the buck!! I own an identical unit and loaded up with @xlr8or approved tube recommendations, this thing will run head to head with products costing very very much more. Check out my Trevor Lees thread in Show Us Your Tubes (Amplifiers and Preamplifiers) for my experiences with this product.

• Like 2
On 16/01/2021 at 5:05 AM, Bisguittin said:

Someone here needs to buy this! This is great bang for the buck!! I own an identical unit and loaded up with @xlr8or approved tube recommendations, this thing will run head to head with products costing very very much more. Check out my Trevor Lees thread in Show Us Your Tubes (Amplifiers and Preamplifiers) for my experiences with this product.

Offers now at $850! Somebody needs to hop on!!

3 hours ago, williamvalve said:

Pretty soon it will be cheaper to buy players with these chips in them than to buy just the ICs.

At least if you buy the player, you know that they work, that they are original and once you remove them for your project, you still have a player you can sell!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rockeater said:

Pretty soon it will be cheaper to buy players with these chips in them than to buy just the ICs.

Yes, if you can find them on sale and affordable.