Great Buys On Ebay, Gumtree, Marketplace etc.

I've met him twice. On Sunday I spent several hours with him selling him some guitar equipment and CDs.

He is a nice bloke, and has a passion for music. I don't like all of the ads that gum up Gumtree though. I'd prefer commercial sellers use eBay.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darryl said:

I've met him twice. On Sunday I spent several hours with him selling him some guitar equipment and CDs.

He is a nice bloke, and has a passion for music. I don't like all of the ads that gum up Gumtree though. I'd prefer commercial sellers use eBay.

Is he a commerical seller though? He doesn't advertise a business name? Does he ask for receipts when purchasing off you and does he invoice when selling?

No receipts.

I guess when I said commercial seller I meant someone who sells primarily for profit.

In my ideal world Gumtree would be for private sellers and perhaps limited to 3 ads at a time. But that's just me!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darryl said:

In my ideal world Gumtree would be for private sellers and perhaps limited to 3 ads at a time. But that's just me!

Absolutely!

This was the original idea when  they formed Gumtree. It has now been hijacked by under the counter businesses, who provide no invoice and who may not even pay tax on their (ridiculous ) profits.

• Like 1

Yes JT (Jamie) is an active trader for sure. I have only just bought an idler drive t/t off him a few weeks ago. I was a bit unsure at first but after a few phone calls to him I was sufficiently satisfied to go ahead and do the deal. Was not an absolute bargain, but certainly not overpriced either. Turntable arrived to WA very promptly and well packed. No issue at all. I would deal with him again and may do so for a JBL lens. As a buyer you need to understand he is not negotiable on price-absolutely not!

Edited by aertex
The real Jake corrected me!

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, aertex said:

Yes JT (Jake) is an active trader for sure. I have only just bought an idler drive t/t off him a few weeks ago. I was a bit unsure at first but after a few phone calls to him I was sufficiently satisfied to go ahead and do the deal. Was not an absolute bargain, but certainly not overpriced either. Turntable arrived to WA very promptly and well packed. No issue at all. I would deal with him again and may do so for a JBL lens. As a buyer you need to understand he is not negotiable on price-absolutely not!

His name is not Jake it’s Jamie  ?

Edited by jakeyb77

When I bought my first pair of Yamaha NS-1000m, it was cheaper for me to drive all the way to Melbourne, stay overnight, drive back to Adelaide than buying from the local offerings. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, rantan said:

Definitely.

It is almost useless reading Adelaide Gumtree since 80% of the listings are from this person, who usually works on a 300% mark up on his cost. It is almost his private online store, for which he pays nothing and whatever the original idea of Gumtree may have been, this person makes it something for which it was never intended.:angry2:

Avoid!

That about sums up my major gripe with the bloke.

However can recognise his ads a mile off on the gummie and just skip to the next. Hardly anyone else from Adelaide Southern in audio/rekkids etc on the gumtree. And the photos are usually too good for gummie.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

This was the original idea when  they formed Gumtree.

Gumtree is a eBay owned business for some time now. Surprising when one hears it the first time but true.

As far as 300% profit which you call outrageous, it is not different to what supermarket charge (with exception of milk, bread and eggs) , let alone other businesses.

If you buy a piece for - say - $200 and you sell it for $600, for the $400 you make you have to:

check it,

clean it,

if necessary fix it (in most cases it is necessary, because a lot of people sell stuff at the first sign of trouble),

then you have to take pictures,

make listing,

replay to offers,

meet people,

and if you are posting, you have to find a box,

research shipping options/prices,

pack the damn thing

and then stay at home in case courier will show up when promised.

I buy faulty stuff, fix it and then sell it (for people do not want to pay for labour).

To even find a replacement part it takes an hour or more.

It is not all roses.

And a lot of people will tell you about one fault and then you find three more in it.

I just sold a Cambridge Audio CD player for $200 to a SNA member.

It cost me $50 and I sold it for $200. That's 300% profit.

Out of that, I paid $40 shipping with TNT. So it is only $160.

The Sanyo Laser was $20. It makes it $140.

The player cost $50, so it is only $90 profit for me.

It took me over an hour to pack it and 1.5 hours to fix it and clean it.

So I made $36 per hour on a 300% markup.

Hardly El Dorado. ?

It is more like Community Service.

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, rockeater said:

As far as 300% profit which you call outrageous

OK then, I may have under estimated JTs profit margin.

It is probably more than three or four times what you charge for legitimate repairs, prior to listing and unlike yourself who  actually does repairs and complete inspections.

This joker buys an item for $100 gives it a wipe over with a damp cloth and lists it the next day on his virtual private website for $750, citing faux rarity and /or collectability.

I can cite an instance where he was selling a VFET amplifier and was exceedingly vague and elusive when asked about its providence and inspection by a qualified technician, saying word to the effect that "it has been checked " but refused point blank to give any further information.

On a VFET amplifer FFS!:hyper:

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, psychometrics1 said:

Roman also provides 6 month warranty on his electronics repair work

I give 12 months unconditional one but only for local people (for things get damaged in transport)

55 minutes ago, psychometrics1 said:

nd is one of the top solderers in Perth

Kym, thanks for the kind words but I am not a solderer! :-)

4 hours ago, rockeater said:

Gumtree is a eBay owned business for some time now. Surprising when one hears it the first time but true.

As far as 300% profit which you call outrageous, it is not different to what supermarket charge (with exception of milk, bread and eggs) , let alone other businesses.

If you buy a piece for - say - $200 and you sell it for $600, for the $400 you make you have to:

check it,

clean it,

if necessary fix it (in most cases it is necessary, because a lot of people sell stuff at the first sign of trouble),

make listing,

replay to offers,

meet people,

pack the damn thing

I buy faulty stuff, fix it and then sell it (for people do not want to pay for labour).

It is not all roses.

And a lot of people will tell you about one fault and then you find three more in it.

Hardly El Dorado. ?

Then there’s your donation to SNA following your sale ...........

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rockeater said:

check it,

clean it,

make listing,

replay to offers,

meet people,

pack the damn thing

It is not all roses.

Hardly El Dorado. ?

I bought the CD player and am very happy.  People just don’t understand the time it take to make or repair items. I sometimes have members contacting me about the cables I make asking for a cheaper price.  I make nothing and if you take my time into consideration I make a loss. 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 7

Guest jakeyb77
9 hours ago, Smp said:

Then there’s your donation to SNA following your sale ...........

Comment of the year! 
Seems to be a lot of hypocrisy above. 
Two people doing exactly the same thing, buying products cheap and fixing them, and openly selling for “Profit”. 
One has admitted to me buying an item for $1000 and listing it for $2000 with the only work being a polished face plate. 
The other sent me an amp that either had an issue before it arrived or happened in transit and paid for my tech of choice to fix the issue. 

You can’t expect traders to act like community sellers. And there is no problem with that. They have to outlay monies and take the risk etc and deal with buyers. Good luck to them. There is good and bad transactions with everybody. 

Anyway let me know when the great buys come back. 

Edited by jakeyb77

15 hours ago, rockeater said:

This is where the major issue is. The postage TNT or otherwise needs to be paid by the purchaser. If you had to post it your way when acquiring - never should have been purchased in the first place.

Also in this case the item cost $90 initially (with postage). Hence for a 300% markup - would have had to have sold it for $360 at least. Take away the laser $20 and $90 for player plus shipping, would have left you with $250. Divided by 1.5 hours of work = $167/hour. Even if you factor in $10 of fuel : $240/1,5 = $160/hour even.

That's at least what we're talking here and if the guy (JT) can get away with it - so be it, but I'm certainly not going to be their customer.

If, on the other hand, you paid the postage to the customer - first I ask: Why? Even on SNA buyer pays postage as they should 100% of the time, nearly.

So, had your customer paid for postage, then the figures become (at $200 sale) $130/1.5 = $87/hour.

A tidier sum certainly.

Edited by zippi

2 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Anyway let me know when the great buys come back. 

Agreed and please accept my apologies mate.

Just don't anyone mention our friend and great buys it shall be.?

5 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

I bought the CD player and am very happy.  People just don’t understand the time it take to make or repair items. I sometimes have members contacting me about the cables I make asking for a cheaper price.  I make nothing and if you take my time into consideration I make a loss. 

Bill, I’m gobsmacked that anyone would try to lowball you on the cables. If anything I think you should charge more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

What kind of cables do you make? This is all news to me!

• Like 1