RankStranger

Great Buys On Ebay & Gumtree - continued ...

Posted (edited)

Surely a discussion of "really cool" speakers need pictures!

Design-Michael-Brown-speakers.jpg

Sophera_Transparent_LH1.jpg

edit: apologies - thought this was in its own thread ..

Edited by n0bleINtP

12 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Unbelievably there is someone on eBay selling a pair of audiosphere speakers for $170 on eBay

They are round concrete speakers made in Canberra using coral flat 5’s. Pretty efficient, need about 6-8 watts, a 2A3 won’t move them but an el84 will

Like a lot of Canberra audiophiles I already have a pair

They normally sell second hand for $350 so even at the buy it now price they are a bargain

Oh, and they are heavy, but not as heavy as the big model

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiosphere-Model-II-concrete-sphere-speakers-pair-with-stands-used/113815157650

I found those but not any others?

On 11/07/2019 at 12:03 PM, aasza said:

How tempting is this? But being in Vic I really don’t want to pay for and risk postage. Appears an exellent price. 

Surely a discussion of "really cool" speakers need pictures!

Design-Michael-Brown-speakers.jpg.8c57abceaba12b89e1ac7664f89f9f2b.jpg

Sophera_Transparent_LH1.jpg.52273291aac721c7656f10633c2daccf.jpg

edit: apologies - thought this was in its own thread ..

Are they the ones made by Michael in Canberra/ Yass?

I'm pretty sure they are all made by the same guy (Michael Brown?). He actually lives in Gunning, about an hour out of Canberra. 

On 12/07/2019 at 10:58 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

Unbelievably there is someone on eBay selling a pair of audiosphere speakers for $170 on eBay

They are round concrete speakers made in Canberra using coral flat 5’s. Pretty efficient, need about 6-8 watts, a 2A3 won’t move them but an el84 will

Like a lot of Canberra audiophiles I already have a pair

They normally sell second hand for $350 so even at the buy it now price they are a bargain

Oh, and they are heavy, but not as heavy as the big model

I would have hit "buy it now" if I was in Melb. As a former Canberra audiophile I need a pair! I remember seeing them in stores - maybe Kingston Hifi - in the 80s but I was still in school. If anyone is selling Audiospheres in Canberra or Sydney region let me know. Cheers.

On 13/07/2019 at 1:54 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

Are they the ones made by Michael in Canberra/ Yass?

I was speaking with Faye@Duratone and the maker has passed away a few years ago.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, morloch said:

I would have hit "buy it now" if I was in Melb. As a former Canberra audiophile I need a pair! I remember seeing them in stores - maybe Kingston Hifi - in the 80s but I was still in school. If anyone is selling Audiospheres in Canberra or Sydney region let me know. Cheers.

As in a previous post, Duratone has a pair ATM... they would ship.

Edited by furtherpale

Oh I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, morloch said:

yes they were the main seller, by the way, where were you at school? I was a teacher in Canberra then :)

I actually bought a wooden pair on eBay earlier this year, they fit my decor better than the concrete ones.

The bigger ones that sold for closer to $2000, came with either concrete cylindrical stands (OK) or metal triangular ones that are the bees knees

Edited by Alpine Electrocats

5 hours ago, furtherpale said:

I was speaking with Faye@Duratone and the maker has passed away a few years ago.

sorry to hear that, you used to be able to find info about him on the net but maybe thats why its harder. Only 5 years ago I met a guy in O'Connor who had a prototype one he was trialing with new drivers. I didn't like them as much as the corals. on a brief hearing

Do you guys want to PM each other or start a Canberra audiophile thread?? 

This is for “Great Buys” discussion 

A new beginning
I am not really into singles but I am into REM and their artwork I found this in eBay for half the price of others. I will be assembling them to make a poster, then there is the box and the actual poster

IMG_1283.jpg