Jump to content

RankStranger

Great Buys On Ebay & Gumtree - continued ...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Surely a discussion of "really cool" speakers need pictures!
 

Design-Michael-Brown-speakers.jpg

 

Sophera_Transparent_LH1.jpg

 

edit: apologies - thought this was in its own thread ..

Edited by n0bleINtP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

 

Unbelievably there is someone on eBay selling a pair of audiosphere speakers for $170 on eBay

They are round concrete speakers made in Canberra using coral flat 5’s. Pretty efficient, need about 6-8 watts, a 2A3 won’t move them but an el84 will

Like a lot of Canberra audiophiles I already have a pair

They normally sell second hand for $350 so even at the buy it now price they are a bargain

Oh, and they are heavy, but not as heavy as the big model

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiosphere-Model-II-concrete-sphere-speakers-pair-with-stands-used/113815157650

 

I found those but not any others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2019 at 12:03 PM, aasza said:

How tempting is this? But being in Vic I really don’t want to pay for and risk postage. Appears an exellent price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Surely a discussion of "really cool" speakers need pictures!
 
Design-Michael-Brown-speakers.jpg.8c57abceaba12b89e1ac7664f89f9f2b.jpg
 
Sophera_Transparent_LH1.jpg.52273291aac721c7656f10633c2daccf.jpg
 
edit: apologies - thought this was in its own thread ..

Are they the ones made by Michael in Canberra/ Yass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure they are all made by the same guy (Michael Brown?). He actually lives in Gunning, about an hour out of Canberra. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 12/07/2019 at 10:58 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:

 

Unbelievably there is someone on eBay selling a pair of audiosphere speakers for $170 on eBay

They are round concrete speakers made in Canberra using coral flat 5’s. Pretty efficient, need about 6-8 watts, a 2A3 won’t move them but an el84 will

Like a lot of Canberra audiophiles I already have a pair

They normally sell second hand for $350 so even at the buy it now price they are a bargain

Oh, and they are heavy, but not as heavy as the big model

 

I would have hit "buy it now" if I was in Melb. As a former Canberra audiophile I need a pair! I remember seeing them in stores - maybe Kingston Hifi - in the 80s but I was still in school. If anyone is selling Audiospheres in Canberra or Sydney region let me know. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2019 at 1:54 PM, Alpine Electrocats said:


Are they the ones made by Michael in Canberra/ Yass?

I was speaking with Faye@Duratone and the maker has passed away a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, morloch said:

I would have hit "buy it now" if I was in Melb. As a former Canberra audiophile I need a pair! I remember seeing them in stores - maybe Kingston Hifi - in the 80s but I was still in school. If anyone is selling Audiospheres in Canberra or Sydney region let me know. Cheers.

As in a previous post, Duratone has a pair ATM... they would ship.

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, morloch said:

I would have hit "buy it now" if I was in Melb. As a former Canberra audiophile I need a pair! I remember seeing them in stores - maybe Kingston Hifi - in the 80s but I was still in school. If anyone is selling Audiospheres in Canberra or Sydney region let me know. Cheers.

yes they were the main seller, by the way, where were you at school? I was a teacher in Canberra then :)

I actually bought a wooden pair on eBay earlier this year, they fit my decor better than the concrete ones.

The bigger ones that sold for closer to $2000, came with either concrete cylindrical stands (OK) or metal triangular ones that are the bees knees

 

 

Edited by Alpine Electrocats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, furtherpale said:

I was speaking with Faye@Duratone and the maker has passed away a few years ago.

sorry to hear that, you used to be able to find info about him on the net but maybe thats why its harder. Only 5 years ago I met a guy in O'Connor who had a prototype one he was trialing with new drivers. I didn't like them as much as the corals. on a brief hearing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys want to PM each other or start a Canberra audiophile thread?? 

This is for “Great Buys” discussion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new beginning
I am not really into singles but I am into REM and their artwork I found this in eBay for half the price of others. I will be assembling them to make a poster, then there is the box and the actual poster

IMG_1283.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...