Sign in to follow this  
n0bleINtP

Speaker Cables - Emphasis on Quality Construction

Seriously having trouble finding cables that sit between ordinary Jaycar/Altronics PA system type wire and the magic cables that look so pretty and well built.

Can anyone drop some names that I could put into a search? My searches only give me the categories above, or the usual JB / Harvey Norman ordinariness.

I can buy fat cable and connectors and do the soldering/crimping - but my DIY work needs some work - my craft is not elegant. Happy to pay someone to do it right well above cost of materials. Say $300 (or more) for some cables that are built nicely.  Where are they?

Requirements:

Fat and heavy, believe in low resistance not so much to limit power losses but to eliminate the resistive element in the series RC circuit formed by the wire and the inductors at the other end (crossovers, the voicecoil). Haven't done the math - can accept that that the difference between 0.1 ohm and lower might not matter at typical audio frequencies (ie filter/phase-shift).

Pretty and Neat. Speakers in the open, cables on the floor. Aesthetics matter and should suggest the power handling of the system. A bit twee perhaps, like chrome extension on a exhaust pipe - but its my system, I can do what I like :)   Colors would be nice, don't mind fabric braid to neaten up things.

Practical in use - cables get removed and reset to different speakers. Getting sick of light tinfoil lugs and spades that squirm as you tighten up the nut, loosen straight away, or loosen with vibration. Or get bent out of shape or fray the cable itself when you put some serious effort into tightening things up.

Non magical - not looking for a argument, I just know its not for me. I actually have some envy for the people that can enjoy and play with that element of the HiFi craft.

Power Handling - Power handling is easily in the +400W class, length is 3-4m.

Connections - Power amp has screw terminals, speaker has banana sockets. Happy with hooks or lugs at both ends. Or whatever works. Must be neat.

Any ideas ?
And thanks in advance ...

Easy, Mogami W3103 cable. Thick 12AWG cable housed in a super flexible sheath and used in many top tier studio's around the world. I (and many others here) have been using it for years and has not left me wanting to upgrade to anything else.

Cheapest place I found in Aus was here @ 13.99/m plus 15% disc. on orders 5m or more.

https://toughaudio.com.au/product/mogami-w3103-superflexible-studio-speaker-cable-black/

9 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Easy, Mogami W3103 cable. Thick 12AWG cable housed in a super flexible sheath and used in many top tier studio's around the world. I (and many others here) have been using it for years and has not left me wanting to upgrade to anything else.

Cheapest place I found in Aus was here @ 13.99/m plus 15% disc. on orders 5m or more.

https://toughaudio.com.au/product/mogami-w3103-superflexible-studio-speaker-cable-black/

Bring it to my gtg, keen to see how it compares to the Transparent.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Or get some Van Damme speaker cable, Van Damme was used throughout Abbey Road Studios.

Just pay someone to terminate the ends with what you require.

https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme-cable/speaker/HiFi-Speaker-Cable-Oxygen-Free-Copper/

Or if you prefer the looks of the slightly lesser quality Blue.

https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme-cable/speaker/Blue-Series-Speaker-Cables-Studio-Grade-Twin Core-AX/

Can’t get your link to work....

Now it works in my quote of your post, that’s odd.

Edited by yamaha man

17 hours ago, yamaha man said:

Can’t get your link to work

Links work fine for me.

If needing them terminated and dressed pretty, Aurealis Audio could do that, and might even be able to supply the cable too.

tubularbells and yamaha man are right on the money,i have been using silly money (nordost-kimber-townshend isolda) cables over the years and found the mogami 3103 for the price to be right up there, i have no urge to change,it is also available in quad form if you are into bi wiring,really a no brainer. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you Thank you  to everybody  :)
Some very solid suggestions:

Mogami   
NB   (ie no bullsh*t? and outstanding value)
Van Damme  

In particular the Mogami looks perfect indeed for a ready made. (want colors, but hey)
The work done by Aurelis is also a very nice option with the bare cable.

3104TB_Z.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by n0bleINtP

NB also very nice (pretty colors!)

Buy they don't do spade?   Have big screw posts (Krell) - maybe just wrap bare wire onto those?

Superhero_Main_1024x1024@2x.png

Peter Graves (formerly Grave Science, now Audio Principe) also makes great bang-for-buck cables. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, yamaha man said:

Bring it to my gtg, keen to see how it compares to the Transparent.

The Mogami is fantastic for the money alright. 

I did a speaker cable shootout and the Mogami was just pipped by the Transparent Musicwave  , not massive difference though.

That was with the Super, higher up the range you'd hope would be more of a improvement. 

Edited by evil c

4 hours ago, SPR08Y said:

Don't want to spark a cable debate, but I have some of these I got for some DIY speakers I tarted up for my daughter, and for not much coin they are nicely made.

https://www.nbspeakercables.com.au/pages/faq?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIloi16ti84gIVmwsrCh3tWAutEAAYASAAEgLwCvD_BwE

I am looking at getting cables from these guys already. I like the no bullshit approach.   Also they are on this forum as Well 

7 hours ago, Muon N' said:

If needing them terminated and dressed pretty, Aurealis Audio could do that, and might even be able to supply the cable too.

+1 for Aurealis cable 

More excellent suggestions, and thank you :)

Becoming very clear that this mission is actually to find a person who builds these things by hand. ie. this market is small enough that these are the people that serve it well.

Does not dismay me in the slightest. I would rather pay for the work of an artisan rather than a factory. It is a poorer world where the artisans are gone and only the factory remains. Love to support the work of cottage industry wherever I can.

Definitely some interest in following up some of the leads you have give me.  Some lovely work is being done. Thanks again.