Sign in to follow this  
Gremrock

Connoisseur BD2A Repairs

I have the kit version bd1 mounted on a reinforced concrete plinth (about 30KG) with an RB300 tonearm and garrott P77. I replaced the steel plate with brass. The bearing is set solid in the concrete. The platter has a 3mm perspex platter mat with neoprene bonded to it (full size of the mat is 12 inches). In this form you would be surprised how good it sounds, in fact so good I have not bothered to replace it with anything else. I do have a lenco gl75 in the shed I  will get going one day in concrete plinth to see if it is any better.

Wayne

Sounds interesting, but I'm under strict instructions not to molest the thing haha, wonder if an rb300/330 Would drop in on the standard plinth? Good budget option for sure for a replacement arm.

1 minute ago, Gremrock said:

Sounds interesting, but I'm under strict instructions not to molest the thing haha, wonder if an rb300/330 Would drop in on the standard plinth? Good budget option for sure for a replacement arm.

The BD2 plinth is not large enough to mount an RB300. The connoisseur tonearm is very short

Wayne

On 02/06/2019 at 9:09 PM, eltech said:

The Connie tonearm doesn't keep the headshell parallel to the record by design (automatic anti skating) 

So DL103 with spherical stylus will be OK.

Don't use a fine line stylus.

Would that Ortofon rondo red in the classifieds work? I can't seem to find a lot of info on its stylus. I can get a dl103 for similar price but have a sort of soft spot for the Ortofons 

@eltechYou've advised a DL103 would be suitable, but for a slightly cheaper alternative would something like an Ortofon MC10 suit? It's an "elliptical" stylus, as opposed the "Fine Elliptical" or "Fine Line Elliptical" of the MC20/20 variants? I can get one of these for around half the price of the DL103. 

Have ordered a motor suspension kit and have a donor table with an intact tonearm. Cartridge seems to mount from underneath, does this limit options or just a unique way of fitting?

Also it has what appears to be an in-tact M91ED Shure cartridge on it, Cantilever is straight and Diamond is there, Would anyone be interested in this? Seems to sell for around $100-150 so I intend to list it for $100 posted. Will either test first if I get to it, or offer a week return option if I don't get to testing. Looks like a nice cartridge just too high output for my pre.