Power Amplifier - Which One!!?

Already the reliability issues of the Emotiva are starting to surface on this thread which I find disheartening. I really want to like this amp and want to believe these are the exceptions and outliers. Even so, when you drop this kind of $$$ on a power amp (2.5K-3K is a big amount for me, not sure about the others here [emoji2]) you want something that's rock solid and will last at least 10 years.

Which is the same reason I am hesitant about the Elektra - it's a bit of a risk to drop this much of $$$ on this is my initial reaction. Information on this amp is a bit thin (despite me.googling), not well known, nonidwa about reliability, etc. Sure some people are talking about it in a positive light but there just isn't enough info. If anyone has more info describing the 'sound' and help allay my concerns that would be great.

My experience does not echo these comments. Emotiva are entry level amps. I thought they were good bang for buck. (Some like [mention=125306]betty boop[/mention] would argue that they where better value before when you could directly import them and they are not great bang for buck now. I am not sure, I wasn't in the hobby then).

Regardless, Emotiva, are entry level amps. Plenty of amps will blow Emotiva away and they are not doing something they shouldn't be. Entry level amps of any brand, not just Emotiva, will not sound as good as anything out there. Quality of amplifying power matters. 

@DarkNark could you suggest some alternative 3 or 5 channel amplifiers?

PS: would you consider their differential reference amps entry-level too?

[mention=258505]MaxPlumage[/mention] if you want to hear Rotel amps, come over to mine, I’m in Canberra. 
Thanks mate - appreciate the offer. How would you describe the sound and what made you choose the Rotel?

11 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:

Which is the same reason I am hesitant about the Elektra - it's a bit of a risk to drop this much of $$$ on this is my initial reaction. Information on this amp is a bit thin (despite me.googling), not well known, nonidwa about reliability, etc. Sure some people are talking about it in a positive light but there just isn't enough info. If anyone has more info describing the 'sound' and help allay my concerns that would be great.

ts quite understandable. as a local product that being going decades... and not sold over seas you wont find the rave US reviews or web forums raving about the product there. I've owned 3 elektras myself over some 15 years ? one owned for 7 or so years... have two of the HD series in my system now. one 7-8 years old other a bit newer 4 or so years. only updated from the 7ch non HDs as was going balanced all ways through system and didnt want signal level imbalances.

will find the real beauty of local product without the website and marketing spend and middle men involved in importers and such will get value in a product that in my experience happily competes with the imports that cost twice as much. how well its really easy as the imports (including emotiva) cost about half as much in home country :) I wouldn't compare the elektra to emotiva though id say its more in bryston type territory. it mixes pretty well with the musical fidelity gear I also own and which have owned for some decades with various items ion the brand

you'll find most amps ... regardless of brand(and id have no qualms in recommending the range of brands I suggested) ..especially in case of amps... as long as used quality components tend to last decades.....eg you can pick up an old rotel for 100s of dollars eg rotel 1080 or 1075 and these things are still as good as were back 15 years ago ! same goes with brystons or parasoud and such. lads some had internal fans so not sure how fared over years. in the elektra as far as know there is only one issue aware off in .last 15 years ... where contactors used in initial theatre series he upgraded to gold contacts down the track ...but the new series come with gold contacts in any case...not heard of any issues... in any case any issues dealt with swiftly and literally at little to no cost.

anyways go with what ever seem comfortable with at end of things. thats all that matters most is happy with your purchase .... no matter what go with :)

• Like 1

ts quite understandable. as a local product that being going decades... and not sold over seas you wont find the rave US reviews or web forums raving about the product there. I've owned 3 elektras myself over some 15 years ? one owned for 7 or so years... have two of the HD series in my system now. one 7-8 years old other a bit newer 4 or so years. only updated from the 7ch non HDs as was going balanced all ways through system and didnt want signal level imbalances.

will find the real beauty of local product without the website and marketing spend and middle men involved in importers and such will get value in a product that in my experience happily competes with the imports that cost twice as much. how well its really easy as the imports (including emotiva) cost about half as much in home country [emoji4] I wouldn't compare the elektra to emotiva though id say its more in bryston type territory. it mixes pretty well with the musical fidelity gear I also own and which have owned for some decades with various items ion the brand

you'll find most amps ... regardless of brand(and id have no qualms in recommending the range of brands I suggested) ..especially in case of amps... as long as used quality components tend to last decades.....eg you can pick up an old rotel for 100s of dollars eg rotel 1080 or 1075 and these things are still as good as were back 15 years ago ! same goes with brystons or parasoud and such. lads some had internal fans so not sure how fared over years. in the elektra as far as know there is only one issue aware off in .last 15 years ... where contactors used in initial theatre series he upgraded to gold contacts down the track ...but the new series come with gold contacts in any case...not heard of any issues... in any case any issues dealt with swiftly and literally at little to no cost.

anyways go with what ever seem comfortable with at end of things. thats all that matters most is happy with your purchase .... no matter what go with [emoji4]
Thanks betty boop. Wow, You're saying Elektra's approach the Bryston category huh. Okay I'll take a closer look.

Could you please describe the sound? Which Elektra are you currently using and is it for music / movies / both?

15 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:

Thanks mate - appreciate the offer. How would you describe the sound and what made you choose the Rotel?

Simple answer really is that if you want to know what they sound like, cone over and have a listen. If not, no worries. 

2 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Simple answer really is that if you want to know what they sound like, cone over and have a listen. If not, no worries. 

exactly take up offer :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxPlumage said:

Finally some swear by tried and tested toroidal amps whereas Emotiva's SMPS is relatively new in the market, right? What are your thoughts on this in relation to reliability over the years?

At last a question about what actually makes one amplifier reliable vs another,

A well designed linear supply has many advantages with audio devices, whereas a SMPS is plainly at a disadvantage with audio. 

https://www.polytechnichub.com/advantages-disadvantages-switch-mode-power-supply-smps/

• Like 1

At last a question about what actually makes one amplifier reliable vs another,

A well designed linear supply has many advantages with audio devices, whereas a SMPS is plainly at a disadvantage with audio. 
https://www.polytechnichub.com/advantages-disadvantages-switch-mode-power-supply-smps/

Guest DarkNark

I haven't seen a budget mentioned. Sorry if I have missed it. Difficult to suggest amplifiers that may suit with out a budget and end goal in mind.

I haven't seen a budget mentioned. Sorry if I have missed it. Difficult to suggest amplifiers that may suit with out a budget and end goal in mind.

Thanks mate, my bad should have made it clear - but as alluded to earlier 2.5-3K max. 

End goals:

1/. Should be a clear improvement over just using my AVR Denon x3300w.

2/. Don't care about SPL - but do care about much better dynamics over lower volumes.

3/. Should work great for music as well (70-30 movies vs music usage).

4/. Should be a good match for ML Motion 4 ohm speakers, all bass managed.

$2.5k - $3k I wouldnt rule out 2nd hand. some lovely options come up all the time. that ways too ... if turns out something better turns up or want to try something else its not end of the world to turn over :)

you'll definitely get some good step up from the x3300 with that sort of budget i am sure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaxPlumage said:

Thanks betty boop. Wow, You're saying Elektra's approach the Bryston category huh. Okay I'll take a closer look.

Could you please describe the sound? Which Elektra are you currently using and is it for music / movies / both?

Been an Elektra fan for years now, their amps IMO are their best products. I run 2x HD7 channels and a HD Stereo.

If you want/need multi channels the Theatre HD is a cracker, IMO even if your not needing all 7 channels it's the one to get.

But if only 2 channels are needed definitely get the Refernce HD. They are a smooth neutral refined sounding and dynamic amp. But of course there are other manufacturers that make great products aswell.

If you can find a used HD2 grab it.

6 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

Not to many cones ok!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaxPlumage said:

Thanks mate, my bad should have made it clear - but as alluded to earlier 2.5-3K max. 

Another happy Elektra user here. I bought my 7ch Theatron model 2nd hand for $1700 some 8 years ago and it's never missed a beat. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a Theatre HD there is no need to do so for the moderate increase in output.

I've also had a 2ch Elektra but moved it on as it was too powerful for my current speakers.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2

Big thanks for the great feedback and suggestions so far, folks.

Big shout out to Sime V2 for organising to listen to his gear this arvo. He is most definitely an audiophile [emoji1] I was blown away by the quality of his audio equipment and the sound. In particular I got the critical feedback I was after - a chance to listen to the sound produced by the Rotel power amps. I am a tad more knowledgeable now after having a good chat on audio gear and sound quality.

• Like 4

A few months back, I was looking for something to give my Krix Neuphonix fronts some more dynamics. I Just had a Marantz SR-5011 AVR (very similar to your X3300W) driving them previously along with my Acoustix surrounds. After doing a bit of reading on here, I decided to get an Elektra, and I found an Elektra Theatre 6 unit on Facebook market place for $800. took the plunge and never looked back. The thing is 17 years old, but really opens up the fronts and now I've added a matching Epicentrix centre on it, no problems. I was hesitant initially also because of the lack of online info, but I can't recommend it enough. It sounds amazing. I use it for both music and movies/TV about 50/50. I'm really happy with it. Good solid Australian made product.  I might get a HD one day.

I did try my front speakers with a NAD 375BEE Amp, but it was way to shrill for my liking, I found the Elektra to be more neutral.

Edited by umlaf
typo
  • Like 1

Yet another Elektra owner here.  Have had a Theatron in my AV system for about 10 years. It would only be removed, if it was replaced with a newer model.  I think it is the longest standing item in my AV system!

• Like 1