Sign in to follow this  
swervyn

Noise cancelling headphones for travel

I bought the QC35 that were in the classified forum, $250 plus postage.

On 26/05/2019 at 11:28 AM, Snoopy8 said:

I used to fly a lot and at 30,000 ft with the engines roaring, audio quality differences found while listening on the ground did not matter.   Noise cancelling matters most and if flying longer distances, being comfortable with wearing the cans is a close second.   Have a look at people wearing noise cancelling headphones on the plane and Bose is ahead by a long way.

It amazes me that many reviewers of noise cancelling headphones focus on audio quality as much as noise cancelling.   Fair enough if the headphones were multi purpose and used in various situations.  But if the primary purpose is flying,  then any perceived audio quality is lost because it is such a noisy environment. 

Those people probably have Bose systems at home.  I used to fly a hell of a lot.  Yes, Bose were popular but I often wondered how many people just got caught up in the advertising hype in the in-flight magazine, then just cashed in excess FF points to buy them without even trying them?  Over the years I observed more and more flyers using Sony, Audio Technica and Sennheiser and the ever present Beats by Dr. Dre.   The later connected to mostly MP3 players and mobile phones.

Personally I would recommend try before you buy if that is possible at least for a comfortable fit and SQ.  I don't know of any headphone shops that offer a simulated aircraft noise environment to gauge the effectiveness of the noise cancelling function.  I would still put SQ and comfort pretty high on my list as you may very well listen as many hours if not more on the ground as you do in the air.  I know I did.

I did at one period of my extensive travelling record the aircraft noise at cruising altitude in many of the Qantas planes in varying classes of cabin, different seating locations and with or without the air vent open or closed.  I was surprised at the marked differences in sound level and noise frequency distribution depending on what aircraft you were on and where you were seated. 

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Alan R.

I've had Sony, Panasonics, Audio Technica and Bose NC headphones. Only the Bose were comfortable on flights >5 hours long, which was pretty much every international flight. I still have my QC15s (wired) and use them regularly on trips, but never at home to listen to music. The sound quality on a flight isn't remotely a concern to me and they're adequate for background music there or watching films. No, I don't have a bose system at home...

Edited by Ittaku

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

I've had Sony, Panasonics, Audio Technica and Bose NC headphones. Only the Bose were comfortable on flights >5 hours long, which was pretty much every international flight. I still have my QC15s (wired) and use them regularly on trips, but never at home to listen to music. 

I still have my QC15, kept for my better half, but use the QC25 which has better noise reduction and a smaller footprint for storage. And I never use them at home for music either and are my only Bose products.

2 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

Those people probably have Bose systems at home.  I used to fly a hell of a lot.  Yes, Bose were popular but I often wondered how many people just got caught up in the advertising hype in the in-flight magazine, then just cashed in excess FF points to buy them without even trying them?  Over the years I observed more and more flyers using Sony, Audio Technica and Sennheiser and the ever present Beats by Dr. Dre.   The later connected to mostly MP3 players and mobile phones.

My observations of Bose were at a time before you could buy them with FF points. They were popular because they were fit for purpose. Yes, more of the others are now appearing because they have finally caught up (& maybe beaten) Bose in the game. Regarding Beats, cannot stand them with over egged bass...

2 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

Personally I would recommend try before you buy if that is possible at least for a comfortable fit and SQ.  I don't know of any headphone shops that offer a simulated aircraft noise environment to gauge the effectiveness of the noise cancelling function. 

Agree audition is best. Bose used to have a simulated aircraft noise environment test rig in their shops, but not sure it is still there.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

Have to agree with regards to Bose and noise cancelling. They are given a bad name due to the old "No high No Lows Bose"etc but I my NC headphones are amazing.

I like the Fiio EH3NC ANC headset at $199

Have just ordered Sony WH-1000XM3 with shopping points. My first bluetooth and noise cancelling headphones - hoping they live up to the glowing reviews!

Current headphones are Sennheiser Momentum - their wireless model is a bit pricey for me, with reviews suggesting the Sony or Bose QC35 being better value

My wife has sennies and I have the only Bose item in the house QC35.

I haven't heard the Sonys, but I like my QC35s for their versatility.

I'm sure the Sonys will be great.

Get the Bose QC35 you can't go wrong and from experience Bose have really good after sales support. Not specifically with my ANC's but they sent me a new pair soundsport wireless as I enquired about whether they can point me to a authorised repairer as I wanted to replace the front casing as it was starting to peel (minor cosmetic issue). Instead they just sent me a brand new pair even though my headset was already out of warranty and still working fine.

The Sony ones are great. Sound good, noise cancellation is good. Not at the same level as Bose, which I use for flying (Mine are the in ear QC20i models). But if you're going to use them outside of a plane, then the Sony has a really good app for everyday use.

Has anyone tried out the Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANCs?

Edited by commawaffle