Noise cancelling headphones for travel

Thanks for all the suggestions, it is only really one flight I need them for maybe more in the future when I win lotto) and if I like them I may swap them for my workshop Peltor radio earmuffs! Or give to them my son, or more likely sit them in a cupboard and forget about them. Being wireless is essential

A couple of things the Sony's beat the Bose for me was:

the USB C charge vs micro usb - how many times do you try to fit a micro usb plug in upside down! new tech vs old

standard 3.5 - 3.5 mm ports vs 2.5 - 3.5mm on the bose - easy cable replacement

longer batter life 30hrs vs 22

better fast charge on the sony

better SQ

not sure on the "swipe" commands vs physical button

Am yet to go instore for a demo and will probably walk away with something completely different knowing me

7 minutes ago, swervyn said:

A couple of things the Sony's beat the Bose for me was:

the USB C charge vs micro usb - how many times do you try to fit a micro usb plug in upside down! new tech vs old

Yeah, I've got that new tech - all sorts of incompatible stuff that I need multiple cords for. Life was far less complicated when everything (or nearly so) was MicroUSB.

Sony 1000 low price is $330 on eBay and also consider demoing the Sony 770 around $200 rrp, which I think will do as you are not a frequent flyer or have other likely uses.

Edited by Al.M

Sony noise cancelling is good. I'm not sure about the Bose, but the newest Sony's allow you to just leave them on without any music so that you can get the noise cancelling effect when you're trying to sleep. If you're only using them occasionally on flights then SQ may be a relatively more important factor. Good thing is, you can't really go wrong with either Sony or Bose

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek

Just looking on the Qantas FF store. The Bose are 70540 points v the Sony at 94,990....in case that's an option for anyone

Guest Peter the Greek
39 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Can get any better than Nura, just saying. 

Interesting concept. Looks great. Are they comfortable?

Nura Nuraphone Black

11 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Interesting concept. Looks great. Are they comfortable?

Nura Nuraphone Black

At first, no. But once you get used to them, it’s like any other canalphone. 

You get Tripple isolation, the outer, the inner and active noise canceling. The are so good at passive, I don’t use the active. And imo they sound better than the bose and Sony’s top dog. 

19 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Quite a new product launched and the reviews are quite mixed about them. Havnt used one myself.

I listen to headphones 6.5 hours a day for 4 days a week. Been through the Bose, the Sony Mk 3’s lasted 3 hours and the Nura’s are going strong since November. Before then the Bose QC 35 II’s where on my head for 6 months straight before. Once the Nura’s came onboard, the Bose were a bit of a joke after. 

I’ve owned 2 pairs of Audeze’s and various BeyerDynamics and the Nura’s are the only long term headphone I’ve had. 

Sure they aren’t Audiophile grade, but man they are fun and I enjoy everything on them. 

I’ve said before, I can be listening to some music whilst I’m drying a dog at work (the dryers are incredibly noisy) and the dog could be barking inches from my face and I won’t hear it. Just the tunes. 

The main problem with them is you have to get the fit right and get the bass driver to mix in well with the mid-high driver that’s on the inner ear part. The are a headphone you have to work on at the beginning to get right. 

Edited by Sime V2

Yeah there's no physical buttons on the Sony xm3's,  so I was always skipping tracks instead of adjusting the volume. Plus they would get too hot quickly outside of winter. Really hope Bose have a new model come out with better SQ. 

My vote is for the Sennheiser Momentum 2. $400. I'm thrilled with them. Comfortable, light, amazing reduction. No bottom end or low mids around you are audible. PA announcements audible still however. Excellent SQ, though I like to tweak a little in Poweramp. Impressive bass. Cabled sounds a little better to me, extends the freq. range a little further. But Bluetooth is available. Ear cups are snug, but not tight.

If you are thinking of the Nuras be sure to try a pair before ordering. I found that the tips weren't long enough for my ears and I just couldn't get a seal. Personally I found the sound (once I had physically pushed them in to get a seal) a little fake, though entertaining. I think the Sonys are the go, but even better of course is a good pair of CIEMs.

+1 for the Sony 1000XM3,

Nc is great. I fly on a small prop plane every few weeks and all but the loudest noises are inaudible . 

The battery is amazing. I listen to music every night and even after a week it's still 80%. I have a Samsung phone with usb C so the charger is the same , very convenient.  And most of all I am impressed with the sound quality, listening to a live recording of Leonard Cohen last night and it felt like I was there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashtray83 said:

+1 for the Sony 1000XM3,

Nc is great. I fly on a small prop plane every few weeks and all but the loudest noises are inaudible . 

The battery is amazing. I listen to music every night and even after a week it's still 80%. I have a Samsung phone with usb C so the charger is the same , very convenient.  And most of all I am impressed with the sound quality, listening to a live recording of Leonard Cohen last night and it felt like I was there. 

The Samsung is great, are you using Poweramp? 

+ 1 for the 1000XM3.

I have the Bose also (my wife uses them) and haven't used them since getting the Sonys. I've flown over 100,000 km since purchasing last year and for me, they are better everywhere, bar maybe comfort, which is a very close second to the Bose and a matter of preference.

I sleep in the sonys on long haul haul flights and even wear them everyday, for 10-12 hrs a day in my office, as they're so comfortable, it's easier just to leave on and tap to receive calls. And that's with my glasses on too. I also workout with them, I rarely take them off.

The useablilty is fantastic too, the tapping/sliding/cupping the earpiece becoming second nature very quickly.  Eat when a stewardess asks a question or there's an announcement on a flight. They also have AMAZING Bluetooth range, I can leave my phone plugged in to change and wanted my office/house/hotel,  without drama. 

I always thought the Bose was the best, but the 1000XM3 is the current benchmark for me.

• Like 1

Hi,

Does anyone have any feedback on the NAD HP70's?  I'm interested in a set of noise cancelling headphones initially to reduce the misery of an upcoming long haul flight to Europe (which I do every few years), but then for ongoing use at home or perhaps work.  The Bose QC35II seems to be most favored for comfort, the Sony XM3 seems better featured but I tried both of those in a JB and was fairly unimpressed with the SQ at least on the canned music they had on the demo.  I looked at the Bose more closely in a Bose shop and they were impressively small and light and the carry case was compact and sturdy, seemed very good for travel.

I would presume the NAD would be a step up in terms of musical sound quality but the noise reduction is reportedly not as good as either Bose or Sony.  Also look very bulky.  Has anyone experience of them?  They are a bit more expensive than the other two but not too painful.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Oh crap! -- er, I mean, oh there goes my budget for the next 3 months. How could I not buy it? Even if I weren't a fan of Bose (I like them in a noise-cancel sense), I remember trying the QC-35 on in a retail store a couple years ago. I just turned it on and put it on my head, and all sounds just went dead quiet. What a demo!