EXPIRED: FS: Pioneer A-09 Class A Integrated amp

Item: Pioneer A-09 Class A integrated amplifier (100v only)
Price: $2600
Item Condition: Immaculate considering its age
Reason for selling: Need cash for something else. Not allowed to spend any more money on hifi, so have to move something on ?
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
Extra Info:

Had always lusted after one, so bought one directly from Japan. Allegedly the best integrated Pioneer every made, heavily derived from the technology used in their Exclusive C7/M7 combo. According to thevintageknob.org, " one of the best and most "musical" integrated amplifiers ever made."  Please have a read of the details and specs here, a great read : http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-A-09.html

The build quality is typical vintage Japanese with amazing attention to detail and craftsmanship. The amp itself is an statement in minimalism - no bells and whistles, just pure and simple design keeping the signal path short and pure. 

This one is in excellent overall condition for its age. No issues at all, works perfectly as it should. Beautiful rich and smooth sound that is never harsh. Being pure class A, may not have the bass punch and power of other high powered SS amps but its strength is the gorgeous mid range and treble. 

Note: This is an original Japanese unit which works on 100v, so will require a step down transformer to work here in Australia. Quality step down transformers are available from Tortech for very reasonable price. A 500w isolated stepdown should work just fine.

Happy to demo to genuinely interested buyers. Pick up preferred from Sunbury VIC. If needed, can pack it up well and safely for shipping in a double box, but the buyer will have to arrange their own shipping at their own risk.

Any question, please ask. Cheers!

Photos: 

DSCF1043.JPG

DSCF1044.JPG

DSCF1045.JPG

A tiny damage to one of the plastic grills at the back, and also some hairline small cracks on some of the grills. Grills still holding on well and not falling apart as such. This seems to be a common issue with these amps. I personally haven't seen one for sale without any damage to the plastic grills. This one is in fact one with grills in better shape than usual.

615c3c4dd00e6b1c108ead02a93cfeda.jpg

Edited by MrMojo
  • Like 3

Noice!!!, didn't know Pioneer had it in them, even back then.  8 outputs per channel good heatsinking for the 25w of Class-A. And a honey of a volume control.

GLWTS

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

Just a note as some have enquired: it has original speaker binding posts, so no banana plugs unfortunately. I'll try to take a pic of the back and add little later. Cheers.

6 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

I had one of these in the early 2000s. Ran my (inherited) Apogee Scintillas (1ohm) without breaking a sweat.

Truly stunning.

Wow! Driving the Scintillas correctly is one of the toughest gigs in audio.

OTOH this would be sublime on efficient speakers as well

@Grizzly

Edited by rantan

13 hours ago, furtherpale said:

It did a great job for the 18 months before the (also inherited) KMA160s returned from their round trip back to the US for a refurb.

Beautiful Mono's. Them and the KSA80 stereo.:thumb:

• Like 1

A fellow member with a sharp eye has noted that small nick in the plastic grill at the back. I probably should have made it clear in the interest of full disclosure. So here is the pic attached of the tiny hole in the grill. I also noticed small fine cracks in some of the grills although the grills look in reasonable condition and not really falling off. I have tried to show that in the pic as well.
615c3c4dd00e6b1c108ead02a93cfeda.jpg

Still available. This is a seriously good amplifier, you won't find it cheaper anywhere else. 

Here are some special features of this amp to tempt you guys a bit :) 

- Pure class A, stable down to 2 ohm load.

2x 35W (8 Ohm, 20Hz...20Khz, 0,05% THD)
2x 70W (4 Ohm, 20Hz...20Khz, 0,05% THD)
2x 140W (2 Ohm, ?...?, 0,05% THD)

- Hand built volume pot with 40 steps precision resistor array

- Relay based input switching. The selector switches on front only work as trigger

- Sophisticated dual relay speaker protection

- Similar technology as developed for Exclusive C7/M7 which sell for  > $10k each now a days

- Short signal path - everything is set at the back including pre and power stages

And it looks gorgeous too!

If that doesn't get our heart racing than what would?? :P 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been listening to the A-09 for last few days and I have been totally enchanted by its sound again. Perhaps its the balanced connection which I hadn't tried before, or perhaps it is the understated gorgeous looks or perhaps that it sounds just 'right'... whatever it is, I am doubting myself now about selling this gem. I feel like I may end up regretting this sale.

Sorry guys, I am withdrawing this from sale for now. I may decide to sell this some other time, but not now... ?

• Like 2