NAD Amp v Project Tube Box

So, if you've read my other thread, I've been on the hunt for a new Amp and I've finally settled on the NAD 316BEE v2, which I managed to pick up at a decent price. 

So far so good.

However, given I predominately listen to vinyl, I've been playing around with the NADs inbuilt phono stage and the Tube box. I know the amp is going to need some significant run in time, so it's probably too early for any serious critical analysis, but these are my early impressions

• the tube box has a sweet, rounder midrange and more 'weight' (whatever that means)
  • the NAD phono stage has a little more detail and more detail - especially in the bass

Is this consistent with what you'd expect? I would have thought that the tube box would blow the NADs internal stage out of the water, but while I am finding there are differences, albeit subtle, it's not a David/Goliath battle I expected.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Sorry I don't know your NAD directly but I have a PRO-JECT tubebox.

I found the sound from the Project can be fine tuned by changing the tubes. Also depending on the model you may have onboard adjustment available.

Looks like you made good decisions if the main comment is the 'flavour ' of the units.  So far so good indeed.

BTW I found the phono in my old 1980s NAD phono in amp is still equal to current entry level phono stages.  Very different sort of sound tho.

People's expectations are often misplaced, the anticipated changes are not always the results, the changes can be that, only sometime do you get a surprise, this i feel is because of the synergy between the components and not necessarily related to brand and price. Change/different? , good/bad/ indifferent? always a conundrum in the chase for musical nirvana.

2 hours ago, wen said:

People's expectations are often misplaced, the anticipated changes are not always the results, the changes can be that, only sometime do you get a surprise, this i feel is because of the synergy between the components and not necessarily related to brand and price. Change/different? , good/bad/ indifferent? always a conundrum in the chase for musical nirvana.

My expectations are always misplaced. Lack of synergy and impositive ideation.

3 hours ago, wen said:

I think that, as a newb, it's something of a lottery. You do research, spend your cash and give it a go. Along with the quality and suitability of the actual components, the compatibility of them is a dark art that is hard to get to grips with

In an ideal world, I've have time/money/space aplenty to mix and match at my leesure. 

1 hour ago, Rawshack said:

I think that, as a newb, it's something of a lottery. You do research, spend your cash and give it a go. Along with the quality and suitability of the actual components, the compatibility of them is a dark art that is hard to get to grips with

In an ideal world, I've have time/money/space aplenty to mix and match at my leesure. 

I'd say you've got it there.

Research is a fine thing but nothing beats actually giving 'it' a go.

I keep from spending all my money on gear by reselling what I'm not using.

I still have enough gear for 3 systems though, hahaha.

• Like 1

Hi,

A few years ago when I was after a phono stage I auditioned several from low to lo-wish price units. In the last shop I went to I've listened to what at the time were the two top project. One was solid state the other tube, I don't remember the models but I think the tube one is one of the two that are still around. I personally didn't like them, I've found them very dull sound wise, in the same shop they had a Lehmann Black cube SE which was noticeably more expensive but that's what I bought.

The Black cube was the first one I heard in my price range that would have beat my amp phono, the others would have just been a side movement and in some cases a complete downgrade, the NAD PP2 comes to mind. If you have the chance it is best to compare a few against each other in person.

I have an old NAD receiver and it is also bass heavy but it does sound good however it is not what I use.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2019 at 11:21 PM, Uglu said:

Hi,

A few years ago when I was after a phono stage I auditioned several from low to lo-wish price units. In the last shop I went to I've listened to what at the time were the two top project. One was solid state the other tube, I don't remember the models but I think the tube one is one of the two that are still around. I personally didn't like them, I've found them very dull sound wise, in the same shop they had a Lehmann Black cube SE which was noticeably more expensive but that's what I bought.

The Black cube was the first one I heard in my price range that would have beat my amp phono, the others would have just been a side movement and in some cases a complete downgrade, the NAD PP2 comes to mind. If you have the chance it is best to compare a few against each other in person.

I have an old NAD receiver and it is also bass heavy but it does sound good however it is not what I use.

I think that the Project tube box is a good bit of kit, but it's probably not what I need right now, and probably needs better-matched components. Either way, the straight NAD phono stage certainly is 'cleaner' and more defined, even if some of that midrange is missing. Maybe in the future I'll look at a better phono, like the Black Cube you mention, but other components, like the speakers, would need to be upgraded first 

Well I think everything matters but the speakers are the heart of the Hi-Fi and if they are not good they will limit any upgrade you do somewhere else. With the phono stage there are endless choices these days. If you want good jump in most cases you need to spend a decent amount of more money on top of what you are replacing and preferably the rest of your stuff must be up to the task or you'll only get limited benefit. However you need to start upgrading somewhere.

You might want to also want to try different cartridges, perhaps that might lift your mid range but it seems you might be using MM so I can't really recommend you much to try. If you want a high output moving coil try the Denon DL110 it is very good value for money.

• Like 1

I would get a better cartridge with a more advanced stylus profile, not spending silly money, before I started to change phono stages. I think that is likely to make more difference than a new low-mid range phono amp for the dollars spent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

I would get a better cartridge with a more advanced stylus profile, not spending silly money, before I started to change phono stages. I think that is likely to make more difference than a new low-mid range phono amp for the dollars spent.

I think my speakers are going to be the first thing to go, although I have to say I have trialed the Ortofon 2M Red against the more modest  OM10 cart and the difference wasn't that significant.