MooCow

What to replace my Audio Note Kit One 300b with?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestions.

I have an Audio Note Kit One which has been taken about as far as it can go with upgraded OPTs, caps, resistors etc.    I am now looking for an amp that will give bit more weight and scale...hopefully without losing the holographics and sweetness.

Speakers are Audio Note An/E HE (98db) with an Audio Note M3 Line pre-amp,  and an MSB Discrete Dac (could be used as a pre).

I am not too keen on 845/211 for the heat etc. 

I have thought about a Pass Labs XA25 or First Watt Sit 3 - yet to demo either - as well as a Prima Luna Dialogue power. 

I am keen to hear ideas from others...would prefer to be able to demo in house so accessibility in Melbourne is important.

Thanks
Rod

Posted (edited)

Sugden Ia4. Has the same Audionote tone and musicality but with the benefits of SS. 

Edited by hugo_wilco

2 hours ago, hugo_wilco said:

Sugden Ia4. Has the same Audionote tone and musicality but with the benefits of SS. 

I reckon the Sugden A21SE is the best value for money and I preferred it to the Masterclass pre and power

Almarrow a318B.   18 Watts of 6C33C and one stunning looking piece of kit. They were sold in Melbourne by Audiophile so should be some floating around the suburbs. Don’t seem to hit the second hand market very often which is a good sign. Lovely thing that you can hot rod if that is your fancy. Were crazy cheap for what they are.

However, if you can find a used pair, Audion Silver Nights. PSE or push pull 300B Monoblocks. Fast, weighty,and seemless top to bottom. Magnificent vocals. 18 Watts is like a different dimension compared to 8.

@MooCowThis may be worth a look subject to budget

1 hour ago, pulinap said:

Try to get a hold of Cymer 13e1......

Definitely an Amplifier I have always wanted to hear.

Thanks all and there's some great ideas here....intrigued by the Cymers and will look about for a pair....AN Conquest second hand also comes to mind.   Sugden is an interesting option that I had not thought of but is relatively easy to hear in Melbourne.

Thanks all and there's some great ideas here....intrigued by the Cymers and will look about for a pair....AN Conquest second hand also comes to mind.   Sugden is an interesting option that I had not thought of but is relatively easy to hear in Melbourne.
You could do worse than looking into the 300b amps being built by Nano Audio Technology in Qld. Possibly even his 2a3 though it may not be enough juice depending on your listening tastes and room size.

Also some ANK C Core monos listed here today

The Elekit 8600 300B is an excellent sounding amp.Far more neutral sounding and much more drive than the Audio Note.Better imaging than the stock Almarro 318B but a bit like it in general presentation.

I borrowed a AN Kit One amp for a while.I thought it sounded very soggy and bloated.

Thanks appreciate the suggestion.  Can you recall which Kit One  - eg a recent one with few/no Audio Note parts or an older one? Any idea which OPTs?

Will help me to contextualise the Elekit.

Cheers,

Rod

Back in the day, Western Electric produced push-pull 300B amps and the performance was said to be phenomenal. The push pull configuration can reportedly add punch, especially in the bass, while retaining the midrange presence of the single ended topology.

There are quite a few PP300B circuits out there for DIY and various commercial amps are available. Seems like it could be a great match for your system if you can find one to try out. 

Aloha

my try mono Elekit TU-898/WE300B

or TU-879s

cheers 🥗

IMG_20190430_224430.jpg

20190512_100112.jpg

Edited by Shanghai Wally
Adjusting

On 23/05/2019 at 1:09 PM, MooCow said:

I am not too keen on 845/211 for the heat etc. 

Personally I wouldn't dismiss a 845/211 amp too quickly.

Yes they produce heat but then so do 300Bs and I don't find the heat from my 845s offensive.

Sound-wise though a good 845/211 amp should give you exactly what you're asking for with all the holographics and sweetness of a 300B.

I'd also careful if choosing a push-pull amp as they can be noisier than a single ended amp which could be an issue with your 98db Audio Notes.

Also if you do decide to look at 845/211 amps make sure they are designed with enough rail voltage for example some of the cheaper 845 amps only have 800 volt rails where you really need around 1150-1200 volts to get the best out of a 845 tube.

Depending where you are based in Melbourne I may be open to you hearing my 845 Monoblocks and seeing how they are for heat. :)