Sign in to follow this  
Hydrology

Chernobyl (HBO Mini-Series)

Three episodes, wow oh wow.

Amazing show, intense and very graphic. A must watch. Stellar performances from all. Brilliant writing, but then the story is so powerful you couldn't f*** it up!

Related image

Posted (edited)

My family was heavily involved with what was the Australian Ukrainian Chernobyl Children's Foundation in the 90's, and being of Ukrainian descent myself this series is of special interest to me.

Just based on the trailer I have seen it would appear HBO has gone to considerable effort in order to get the facts right.

Particularly glad they cast Brits  - they generally manage to convey a certain authenticity in these sort of historical dramas.

Edited by Lil Caesar

Absolutely loving this series, totally hooked.  Just had episode 3 handed to me this morning, cannot wait to watch it this evening.  Shame its only 5 episodes long.  Hopefully there is a good post series documentary or something maybe intervieiwng some people there at the time. 

Some of the details and facts are just scarily mind blowing.

On a side note, be sure to watch right through all the credits at the end, the director and some of the cast have been speaking at the end of each episode for a few minutes.

Am loving every episode!  Definately put this on your radar.  There was another BBC - reenactment done a few year back on Youtube.  Not as dramatic as this, but quite similar. 

The acting and production is incredible and the plot/story line is spine chilling. Amazing work by HBO.

Ahh I just posted in the nutflakes thread re this

so noob question how do I download or watch this using my Apple TV ?have nutflakes account ?but couldn't find  it on  nutflakes ?

cheers muri

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

Ahh I just posted in the nutflakes thread re this

so noob question how do I download or watch this using my Apple TV ?have nutflakes account ?but couldn't find  it on  nutflakes ?

cheers muri

Pretty sure most HBO is on Foxtel. If it’s not on Netflix it’s not on Netflix. 

Let Google be your friend an find where it is available. It may be on the google store or via iTunes also. 

I watched the BBC - re-enactment that shogo mentioned, it was a incredibly tragic incident for many in the Ukraine then, and since, one that should not have happened.

This is such good TV. Fantastic. I was so worked up after the first episode.....I mean, how f-ing stupid (arrogant) were they?

Interesting that the world would have been pretty much rooted if that lady hadn't of pointed out the thermal explosion thing.

I'll wait until its finished to look into the historical accuracy, but damn fine TV otherwise A+++++++++++++++++++++

How are people getting this show, it’s not on iTunes and I’m guessing it’s not on Netflix or Stan. I won’t torrent anything. 

52 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

How are people getting this show, it’s not on iTunes and I’m guessing it’s not on Netflix or Stan. I won’t torrent anything. 

Foxtel, on demand

Ahh, bugga. 

The show has really been incredible. The only criticism I could possibly have is the accents used but now that i'm 3 episodes into watching it I don't even think it's a negative and I think it allows the British actors to portray the characters more freely.

When I was in primary school (early 90s) through my involvement with the scouts we had a Ukrainian boy from Chernobyl stay with our famly for a few weeks. His name was Vasily and he was a few years older than me. He didn't really speak much English but was a very pleasant person and that's all I can remember.

I didn't really understand what was going on at the time but I remember watching a 4 Corners documentary on the situation and being shocked.

It makes me wonder now what ever happened to Vasily and whether I will ever know. 

I'm 3 episodes in and can't wait to continue watching. Everyone needs to see this!

Goodaye all

My wife has a Russian Heritage and back in the 90's  a close friend had his nease and nephew over from Keiv, stayed with us a couple of days, both were engineers.

l was studying mechanical engineering at the time and although they couldent speak english they could read all my study books.

They were absolutly shocked when they saw my brand new 386 PC sitting on the desk.

They didnt look to good and were trying to come to Australia, l was told they were very sick, children had to stay in Russia to ensure there return.

Didnt push what was wrong, he was a mechanical engineer and she a chemical.

At the end of it they had to stay in Russia.

regards Bruce