CD player for music - what to look

Just wandering if there is anything particular that one must look for when buying a CD player if the intention is mainly for  listening  to quality music. I see that there are so many sold at Harvey as well as JB and for under 50 dollars. Gumtree has used ones for as low as 15 dollars. Does it matter ? What has it got to do with the  quality of music

16 minutes ago, darrelj said:

Just wandering if there is anything particular that one must look for when buying a CD player if the intention is mainly for  listening  to quality music. I see that there are so many sold at Harvey as well as JB and for under 50 dollars. Gumtree has used ones for as low as 15 dollars. Does it matter ? What has it got to do with the  quality of music

They’re probably blu-Ray or DVD player shudder if still available.

you don’t want those !!!

anything usuallly listed as a CD player will likely be better. If unsure quite a budget and will sure get suggestions. 

5 hours ago, darrelj said:

if the intention is mainly for  listening  to quality music

@darrelj

Like everything in life actual real quality costs.  If quality is your intention you need to spend considerably more than $50.  It depends on what you can afford and the level of quality you aspire to.  100 times the $50 is not extravagant.  One thing I have learnt is work out what you can afford and spend a bit more.  The extra will be worth it ultimately.  Besides the CD player the rest of what is in the chain has to also be of equivalent or better quality.  How you develop your system to get to the stage of where you want to get can take some time.  It is part of the fun of the journey.

John

• Like 3

5 hours ago, darrelj said:

I think in Australia, the retail price of a new entry level CD player starts at $300 to $500. Not dissing ppl who have lesser equipment, it’s just that you get what you pay for at $50 versus $500 versus $5000 CD player. $50 CD player is like a toy to me, just like a $50 watch. 

You pay for quality components? You can hear the difference in sound even playing the same CD, assuming your speakers and other components in the chain are of decent quality to reveal enough details. 

The following 2 links will get you started. I am sure if you google, you will find more explanations. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ugxpQvN3reG/learn/home-CD-player-buying-guide.html

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/blog/cd-specs

• Like 2

Do you have a DAC with a coaxial or Optical input ? If your buying a cheap player more than likely it will have a crappie digital to analogue converter  ( dac) in it . But if they have digital outputs you could it as a transport and connect to a DAC. Then it's night that important.  I'd go for a Bluray player with digital outs and if your lucky a decent analogue out. Samsung and Sony aren't bad . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, att23 said:

I think in Australia, the retail price of a new entry level CD player starts at $300 to $500. Not dissing ppl who have lesser equipment, it’s just that you get what you pay for at $50 versus $500 versus $5000 CD player. $50 CD player is like a toy to me, just like a $50 watch. 

You pay for quality components? You can hear the difference in sound even playing the same CD, assuming your speakers and other components in the chain are of decent quality to reveal enough details. 

The following 2 links will get you started. I am sure if you google, you will find more explanations. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ugxpQvN3reG/learn/home-CD-player-buying-guide.html

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/blog/cd-specs

Thanks for this information. I will read and get back

• Like 1

Absolutely true of course. I think you can judge the player a little by weight too Sony , Samsung , Pioneer middle rung and above as transports are fine. Stand alone , Rega Apollo second hand are cool and great .

• 2 weeks later...