Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Cutting out processed foods....

Recommended Posts

On 01/06/2019 at 5:13 PM, Ittaku said:

One thing we know is that most nutritional research isn't worth its weight as toilet paper, but that doesn't stop it getting headlines.

100% god it pains me.....my in laws are classic case. They take their health advice from the Today Show and complain no end about their ailments, but wont change what they shovel into their respective mouths on a daily basis.

Edited by Peter the Greek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

100% god it pains me.....my in laws are classic case. They take their health advice from the Today Show and complain no end about their ailments, but wont change what they shovel into their respective mouths on a daily basis.

I had a mother and daughter in my store on Saturday, both morbidly obese, and had to get their breath back before starting to shop. Both were also type 2 diabetics, no surprise there... I had to fit the ladies shoes and put her socks on, there was no way she was reaching her feet by herself.

 

I discretely (without mentioning weight) told them about my families predisposition to becoming type 2 and what I've done by going on a ketogenic diet to reduce my personal threat. They both excitedly said they had tried that and lost heaps of weight and felt fantastic when on a Keto diet, but had gradually re-introduced sugar and carbs again over time. I can totally understand how that can happen as I haven't been as stringent the last month or so as I used to be. However, when they were both so obviously VERY unhealthy and had seen the benefits, I struggle to see how people will knowingly eat stuff which is slowly killing them.

 

I can only hope they had some quiet reflection afterwards about what we had discussed.

Edited by blybo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last night's dinner was Sheppards pie with steamed veggies. The kids half of the pie had pastry and normal mashed potato. Our was pastry free and we used sweet potato. I find sweet potato a poor substitute but it was still enjoyable. I guess my wife probably used a powdered gravy but otherwise unprocessed, unless you term minced beef as processed.

 

@betty boop I'm having salad with smoked salmon today as a bit of a treat, but usually use a can of chilli tuna for lunch.

Edited by blybo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good to hear @blybo :) never been a huge one for smoked salmon - daughter loves it ...

 

but I discovered some tassie hot smoked salmon in one of my visits there and MY GOD !!! I ended up getting a small package shipment over :D

 

http://www.41southtasmania.com

 

worth visiting place like this I think if ever get the chance get to see from a processing point of view how simple it can get :)

 

ps I should mention I picked up some pomegranate juice.... I know I said rather than juice eat the fruit... but this is an exception I think and especially in small quantise...

 

6 pomegranates in the bottle. and nothing else.

 

http://www.granteworld.com

 

"Grante products
100% natural NFC juices
and nectars,
with no added preservatives,
colourants, and GMOs."

 

great find ! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


46 minutes ago, betty boop said:

especially in small quantise

yep. I've found I'm now hyper aware of sugar crashes I've always suffered but didn't recognise before giving the sugar up. I'm not totally obsessive about it, so had a small amount of no added sugar vanilla ice cream last night, but then put chocolate topping on it. You have to enjoy some things occasionally

Edited by blybo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Muon N'
20 hours ago, betty boop said:

pomegranate

I  love pomegranate :x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I  love pomegranate :x

we love it too. have a tree I planted out front but the d@mn possums discovered it and love eating the flowers so no longer get to see the fruit :D let alone enough to juice ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Muon N'

Possums are people too, I mean....they have good taste too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I had a mother and daughter in my store on Saturday, both morbidly obese, and had to get their breath back before starting to shop. Both were also type 2 diabetics, no surprise there... I had to fit the ladies shoes and put her socks on, there was no way she was reaching her feet by herself.
 
I discretely (without mentioning weight) told them about my families predisposition to becoming type 2 and what I've done by going on a ketogenic diet to reduce my personal threat. They both excitedly said they had tried that and lost heaps of weight and felt fantastic when on a Keto diet, but had gradually re-introduced sugar and carbs again over time. I can totally understand how that can happen as I haven't been as stringent the last month or so as I used to be. However, when they were both so obviously VERY unhealthy and had seen the benefits, I struggle to see how people will knowingly eat stuff which is slowly killing them.
 
I can only hope they had some quiet reflection afterwards about what we had discussed.
I was in a chemist shop over the weekend.
The lady in front of me, must have weighed at least 200+Kgs. She had several prescriptions for, l assumed, her condition. While she waited, she ate 3 big bags of jelly beans. Broke my heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2019 at 10:54 AM, blybo said:

last night's dinner was Sheppards pie with steamed veggies. The kids half of the pie had pastry and normal mashed potato. Our was pastry free and we used sweet potato. I find sweet potato a poor substitute but it was still enjoyable. I guess my wife probably used a powdered gravy but otherwise unprocessed, unless you term minced beef as processed.

 

@betty boop I'm having salad with smoked salmon today as a bit of a treat, but usually use a can of chilli tuna for lunch.

Sweet potato is a FODMAP and will give you bad gas 😷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cigar nuke said:

Sweet potato is a FODMAP and will give you bad gas 😷

Only if you have fructose malabsorption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


What's happening.
You faded away to a shadow yet.
Had some legs this post, l forgot why you started it. Was it to lose weight? Or feel good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

What's happening.
You faded away to a shadow yet.
Had some legs this post, l forgot why you started it. Was it to lose weight? Or feel good?

ha ! :D 

 

no nothing like that if anything put a kg on :D perhaps the goodness of the food rather than the other stuff killing me ! hehe

 

still sticking with the plan...this part of it not really about loosing weight...more cutting out the cr@p ...cutting out the all too processed things we tend to rely on.

 

that part is going good. havent had an instant coffee as far as can remember plenty other things just dont touch ...but havent also been a nazi at it. ie will still have at social occasions and what not.

 

rather than feel good...its just good health thats the drive. limit the kind of processed potentially harm causing and instead swap to the more natural as little processed as possible :) but yes a side effect is feel good :D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, betty boop said:

ha ! :D 

 

no nothing like that if anything put a kg on :D perhaps the goodness of the food rather than the other stuff killing me ! hehe

 

still sticking with the plan...this part of it not really about loosing weight...more cutting out the cr@p ...cutting out the all too processed things we tend to rely on.

 

that part is going good. havent had an instant coffee as far as can remember plenty other things just dont touch ...but havent also been a nazi at it. ie will still have at social occasions and what not.

 

rather than feel good...its just good health thats the drive. limit the kind of processed potentially harm causing and instead swap to the more natural as little processed as possible :) but yes a side effect is feel good :D  

For me cutting out processed food resulted in weight loss.

I thought l read an earlier post that you hadn't cut out sugar? Correct me if I'm wrong. Sugar processed and one of the worst and most addictive substance you put in your gob. 

 

I was sugar free for 2 years and some how crept back into my diet.

I'm about to go cold turkey from Monday. That and bread, as I'm wheat intolerant also.

 

Great that you are feeling better and healthier from this exercise. I suspect the 1kg weight gain is all muscle😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

For me cutting out processed food resulted in weight loss.

I thought l read an earlier post that you hadn't cut out sugar? Correct me if I'm wrong. Sugar processed and one of the worst and most addictive substance you put in your gob. 

 

I was sugar free for 2 years and some how crept back into my diet.

I'm about to go cold turkey from Monday. That and bread, as I'm wheat intolerant also.

 

Great that you are feeling better and healthier from this exercise. I suspect the 1kg weight gain is all muscle😀

Oh yeah they old excuse :D I have been going to the gym ... only problem with exercise only want to eat more !

 

havent cut out sugar. I don’t do much sugar ... where do it’s raw :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, betty boop said:

only problem with exercise only want to eat more !

 

havent cut out sugar. I don’t do much sugar ... where do it’s raw :)

I found this didn't happen with a ketogenic diet. I could exercise at a slightly lower level without fatigue or hunger as the body was providing fuel during execise. I fell off the wagon while camping at Easter and haven't really got back on and now do get hungry after a ride or long walk. I still try and limit sugar, processed foods and carbs. As always my issues revolve around saltly chips or twisties type snacks and too much diet coke. I've switched to sugar free coke as it's not meant to be as bad, but need to get back into mineral waters with a hint of flavouring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it basically a low GI diet Al? Very effective. Yes the industrial revolution was a real turning point for the human race me thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Is it basically a low GI diet Al? Very effective. Yes the industrial revolution was a real turning point for the human race me thinks.

hi daz, 

 

no more hte keep it simple type diet...

 

home cooked... simple cooked foods... just taking out the industrial processed stuffs... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

industrial revolution was a real turning point for the human race me thinks.

I think it depends where you live. I'm very lucky that my job takes me to Italy twice a year, and yes they have all the snack food processed stuff, but generally Europeans still tend to care about what they eat and where it comes from. European roadhouses and supermarkets are a real eye opener. Fresh food every where at a servo, baristas serving REAL coffee.

 

The towns I visit have take away pizza stores, but that's about as close to fast food as they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blybo said:

I think it depends where you live. I'm very lucky that my job takes me to Italy twice a year, and yes they have all the snack food processed stuff, but generally Europeans still tend to care about what they eat and where it comes from. European roadhouses and supermarkets are a real eye opener. Fresh food every where at a servo, baristas serving REAL coffee.

 

The towns I visit have take away pizza stores, but that's about as close to fast food as they have.

Was in Rome last October. I think l ate pizza everyday. The way they make them is pretty minimalistic. 

They don't pile the rubbish like they do here. Fair to say haven't had pizza since.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Was in Rome last October. I think l ate pizza everyday. The way they make them is pretty minimalistic. 

They don't pile the rubbish like they do here. Fair to say haven't had pizza since.

 

I rarely have pizza or pasta when in Italy! I usually have antipasti then main. I actually prefer a minimalist Australian style thin base pizza to what I get in Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we are very lucky with a local guy that does the traditional italian way with pizza....amazing effort in getting oven all ways from italy, only uses the best of ingredients...amazing stuff comes out the oven and definition of simplicity....awesome pizza....havent bothered making pizza at home for a while as we just head around to the shop. we never did base ourselves anyways...

 

the definition of simplicity will always remember about italy was the grilled fish i had there years ago...fresh caught stuck on the grill wiht little to no ingredients ... yum.... here any seafood we have has been on ice effectively frozen... even though in melbourne a seaside city... which is a shame...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...