Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Cutting out processed foods....

anyone else doing this ? I've started today... have mostly got through the day... and doing ok :D 

my reasoning behind this ... 

ive worked many years in the food and beverage industry so know quite a bit about the processing that goes on so something can sit on a shelf for weeks to months even years...

My thoughts are to primarily cut out all the additives and chemical concoctions greatly used in processed and pre packaged foods.

my exception is can foods ... oldest and safest form of processing. milk, bread. tea, yoghurt(full fat not "lite") butter, raw sugar ie anything  where aware what's goes on with those and comfortable there. 

so in the main sticking to home cooking.... or elements of fresh foods...and anything else if processed in basic forms.

so in so far today has been

fruit (banana an apple a mandarin)

coffee... fresh ground and full fat milk - staying away from "lite" milks (most are made with milk powder). not uht milk as pumped with stabilisers.

chicken corn soup (home made) chicken from the shop. corn from the can

steamed veggies, rice some indian dhall all home cooked.

a few nuts (from farmers market and been roasted)

and thats it.

lets see if can keep this up :D   and whether actually achieves anything ! ha

ps am not going to be a nazi about this. if i am over some ones home or eating out... will go with the flow ....same with special occasions....  similarly if wife is making something delicious am not going to turn it down... but she knows what i am upto ...

Sounds like a good plan Al.
We all hear about too much salt, fat and sugar. But not so much about what goes into process food.
I suppose fresh is best. My English parents alway had a veggie patch and grew most things. They did without what we now have as normal things in our pantry/ freezer..
back to basics maybe.

My down fall is a sweet tooth from time to time. [emoji44]

34 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Sounds like a good plan Al.
We all hear about too much salt, fat and sugar. But not so much about what goes into process food.
I suppose fresh is best. My English parents alway had a veggie patch and grew most things. They did without what we now have as normal things in our pantry/ freezer..
back to basics maybe.

with the "back to basics" you've got it I think. what am hoping to do. we are so blessed with lovely fruits and veggies from our local market. there is such a distinction in what goes into stuff as soon as has to go on a shelf, trying to stay heck away from any of that stuff. even things like small goods will look to get from the local market where possible :)

34 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

My down fall is a sweet tooth from time to time. emoji44.png

sadly yes ... same here :D 

I have largely cut out processed foods for about 6 months now as part of a ketogenic diet. We still buy the odd treats like sugar free chocolate, pork crackling snacks and processed meats though. Like @betty boop we now do not use any low fat options, in fact as part of a keto diet we add fat to most meals. If not already aware, passata is a really good substitute for pasta sauces and has no sugar either. We now use that as the base for our pasta sauces, the kids have it with pasta and my wife and I have over steamed veggies instead, in fact that was tonight's dinner.

We also add salt, but our diet is actually very high in fresh veggies/salad and moderate protein whereas most people think keto is just a protein extravaganza, it's the higher fat content that usually surprises people yet we are losing weight and feeling better.

I still struggle with alcohol but have recently got back into a routine of having nothing during the week (mostly) and few wines or spirits with sugar free mixers on the weekends.

I start off good of a morning with heated oats with fruit. Maybe coffee. A couple of boiled eggs as well if I have time.

Err just about to have a mug of heated Milo before bed. Which is my normal routine...

Something we have learnt thru our intermittent fasting and keto diet... Fruit is very good for us but be careful which ones you eat and how much. Berries are your best option and in small quantities. Being on a keto diet I have very little sugars these days, so limit berries to a handful or 2, and only a couple of times a week.

The fad has largely gone now, but I always used to chuckle at overweight people lining up at Boost Juice to get a super large freshly squeezed fruit juice thinking they were picking the healthy option. Sure fruit is a great source of vitamins and fibre (little fibre once juiced), BUT it's incredibly high in fructose which is just sugar under a different name.

If you want a juice it's WAY better to have a veggie juice with 1 piece of fruit to mildly sweeten it. I still juice occasionally at home but it usually consists of kale, cucumber, celery, beetroot, carrot and then either 1 apple or 1 orange. Still very tasty and gives me a bit of a buzz, but without the sugar crash that would follow a fruit juice.

anyone else doing this ? I've started today... have mostly got through the day... and doing ok [emoji3] 

my reasoning behind this ... 
ive worked many years in the food and beverage industry so know quite a bit about the processing that goes on so something can sit on a shelf for weeks to months even years...

My thoughts are to primarily cut out all the additives and chemical concoctions greatly used in processed and pre packaged foods.

my exception is can foods ... oldest and safest form of processing. milk, bread. tea, yoghurt(full fat not "lite") butter, raw sugar ie anything  where aware what's goes on with those and comfortable there. 

so in the main sticking to home cooking.... or elements of fresh foods...and anything else if processed in basic forms.

so in so far today has been

fruit (banana an apple a mandarin)
coffee... fresh ground and full fat milk - staying away from "lite" milks (most are made with milk powder). not uht milk as pumped with stabilisers.

chicken corn soup (home made) chicken from the shop. corn from the can

steamed veggies, rice some indian dhall all home cooked.

a few nuts (from farmers market and been roasted)

and thats it.

lets see if can keep this up [emoji3]   and whether actually achieves anything ! ha

ps am not going to be a nazi about this. if i am over some ones home or eating out... will go with the flow ....same with special occasions....  similarly if wife is making something delicious am not going to turn it down... but she knows what i am upto ...

Well done Al. Keep it up mate. I congratulate people on this, mainly, because it's so BLOODY HARD.

Did it myself in 2014. Did the full Paleo and then modified it. Went from 84kg down to 63kg. So basically, like you l cut out all processed food, sugar and bad carbs, which for me was bread. So basically ate protein, lots veges, nuts and seeds; oh and no dairy. So had to give up coffee, can't drink the stuff without sugar or cream (even raw sugar is bad). Surprised by how much l lost cutting out bread and sugar.
Found out l was lactose intolerant and allergic to wheat products. Found out because I had had a nagging dry cough for 20 years. One month later, no cough.

No alcohol either. Did it for 2 years then lapsed.

I still maintain most of it though. I allow myself one coffee in the morning, have the occasional slice of bread, but only sourdough. But have been able to stick to the no preservative regime. But have the occasional choc bar occassionaly.

My downfall is cheese and coincidently red wine. Don't they go together rather well.
So yer, found it easier to give up food than alcohol. Still I'm steady at 69kg and go to the gym 5 days a week. Not bad for a 65 year old flogger.

Mate the first month is the hardest. But once you start losing kilos, you are on your way. All power and encouragenent to you brother and good luck in your endeavor, though I'm sure you don't need it.

Gotta go, can hear a bottle of red calling my name (and a kilo of cheese).

@blybo wouldn't believe it but some of my time in working life involved with bottled pasta sauces and even pasata :D  the amount of stuff goes in those shelf ready pasta sauces to hold them together and keep them looking something remotely appetising for 12-18 months they spend on the shelf. 

so glad using pasata. my wife does too, using some to make some chicken cacciatore soon as happens...

one even more non processed version of pasata I discovered actually making paella of all things. you buy large tomatoes we get them from our local markets. those vine ripened ones... cut in half and grate them on a coarse greater... grate down to the skin and the skin doesn't grate ! easy peasy.... and tastes so good ! its a little work grating though ... so still to convince the wife :D  she'll probably do if I grate the tomatoes... its only 4-6 tomatoes to a pasata jar ! :)

21 hours ago, blybo said:

The fad has largely gone now, but I always used to chuckle at overweight people lining up at Boost Juice to get a super large freshly squeezed fruit juice thinking they were picking the healthy option. Sure fruit is a great source of vitamins and fibre (little fibre once juiced), BUT it's incredibly high in fructose which is just sugar under a different name.

I did a little study on boost juice(not nutrition related)  but had to chuckle as well. its NOT at all good for you. far TOO much sugar ! and fruit overload... you only need 2-3 fruits a day....not the 6 oranges and 2 apples and what not it takes to get a glass of juice ! my doctor straight up told me to cut out juice...eat a piece of fruit instead... 

13 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Did it myself in 2014. Did the full Paleo and then modified it. Went from 84kg down to 63kg. So basically, like you l cut out all processed food, sugar and bad carbs, which for me was bread. So basically ate protein, lots veges, nuts and seeds; oh and no dairy. So had to give up coffee, can't drink the stuff without sugar or cream (even raw sugar is bad). Surprised by how much l lost cutting out bread and sugar.
Found out l was lactose intolerant and allergic to wheat products. Found out because I had had a nagging dry cough for 20 years. One month later, no cough.

thanks needle. no idea on paleo... but am sure I've got elements of it. I'm not doing any diet as such... this just goes with my cut out the cr@p diet... if it doesnt feel like I should be eating the thing... then I shouldn't :D 

day 2 and surviving... fruit, salad... some ham nuts a couple of teas another bowl of chicken corn soup... surviving :D 

No alcohol either. Did it for 2 years then lapsed.

ah yes alcohol... I actually feel wine has not much to it processing wise as with beer... but i do think have to watch the wines some has some cr@p there as preservatives... when really not needed

anyways am staying off alcohol during the week. and might have the odd drink social wise on weekends. 2 whisky shots and a glass of wine was me last weekend :D 

I still maintain most of it though. I allow myself one coffee in the morning, have the occasional slice of bread, but only sourdough. But have been able to stick to the no preservative regime. But have the occasional choc bar occassionaly.

My downfall is cheese and coincidently red wine. Don't they go together rather well.
So yer, found it easier to give up food than alcohol. Still I'm steady at 69kg and go to the gym 5 days a week. Not bad for a 65 year old flogger.

well done needle. no probs with cheese or bread here. but will stick to the farmers market cheese where can ... the simpler cheeses... 

chocolate what do you do :D am going to come across it now and then.

look working on the 80 :20 approach.. will cover myself eliminating likely 80% and happy enough... 

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

chocolate what do you do :D am going to come across it now and then.

rich-dark-Products.jpg

That fact this has stevia in it, and the effect too much of that has on me, means it's in my best interests to never have more than 3-4 pieces of this of an evening, so it's a natural deterrent :nuke:. Yummy though and most supermarkets have it. We really like their raspberry flavour, sort of tastes like a Cherry Ripe easter egg.

We went full paleo pretty much 2.5 years ago. Best thing we've done. I work pretty much around the clock, haven't been materially sick since we did this.....I'm off coffee too....which KILLs (poor choice of word?) me at times given how much I love it.

Love him or hate him Pete Evans cook books are excellent, same with Luke Hines, and Cyndi O'Meara. This is essential for those who like sweets or want to entertain and not have your friends look at you like you've got an axe lodged in your head

The problems with this way of life are twofold:

1. Cost, its very expensive eating so much high quality protein and fats. High quality ingredients are expensive, even when we buy it by the pallet load from Honest to Goodness

2. Time. Preparing everything from scratch is stupidly time consuming

16 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Me too. Lactose is what does this to me. Wheat I can eat, but slows me down, so I avoid it at all costs

Day 2, wait until you say day 20. Keep it up.
You have a lot of friends on this site for support. So we look forward to a running commentary.

Who would have thought StereoNet would have turned into a diet site lol. We will be swopping recipes next.

Paleo was good. Lots of meat, bacon and eggs. What's not to like. Similar to Keto in principle, the body burns fat for energy.
As opposed to a sugar based diet, that burns sugar and then anything left over, then stores as fat. It's a lot more complex than that, but you get the idea.

hehe day 3 still surviving..... a couple of flat whites ... a ham salad sandwich.... pumpkin soup home made. pumpkin &  stock thats it.  can't get any simpler :D and oh spelt bread... farmers market bought trust the guys who bake it :) 

We went full paleo pretty much 2.5 years ago. Best thing we've done. I work pretty much around the clock, haven't been materially sick since we did this.....I'm off coffee too....which KILLs (poor choice of word?) me at times given how much I love it.

Love him or hate him Pete Evans cook books are excellent, same with Luke Hines, and Cyndi O'Meara. This is essential for those who like sweets or want to entertain and not have your friends look at you like you've got an axe lodged in your head

The problems with this way of life are twofold:
1. Cost, its very expensive eating so much high quality protein and fats. High quality ingredients are expensive, even when we buy it by the pallet load from Honest to Goodness
2. Time. Preparing everything from scratch is stupidly time consuming
Yes it is more expensive. But the positives outweighs everything. I found that when l gave up alcohol, the money saved there compensated the food side of things.
And boy don't you have a lot more energy.

Then l started drinking again. But only on the weekend, and only a couple. And lets face it alcohol and music...

I Just stat away from the tt when drinking.

Some good ideas here - we are generally avoiding processed foods and needless sugar - Luke Hines a few of his books we cook from. I do draw the line at Paleo Pete though - he rubs me the wrong way.