Need a new mid level AVR

Hi All,

I'm in the process of doing a little updating of the secondary (Lounge room) setup and among other things the AVR is past it's usefulness.

I already have some new bits;

- Panasonic OLED

- Panasonic BP-UD420 4K player

I will also be replacing the PVR (Beyonwiz) with a Fetch TV once the NBN is connected (soon).

The speakers are a 5.0 setup of Paradigm Monitors so fairly efficient and easily driven.

Unfortunately the Current Pioneer SC-LX71 AVR, while still working great, is just too far out of date, it doesn't even have ARC, let alone HDMI 2.X required for 4K......

All up I will require 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, not particularly powerful or high quality, to be used primarily for TV, streaming and occasional background music.

Basically I need a hub/switch between the screen and various devices that handles the audio.

The lounge room is fairly acoustically compromised anyway and high quality viewing and music is reserved for the dedicated media room! ^_^

I'm in no hurry and will just play musical remotes/cables/inputs in the interim until I decide (still hurting from the OLED purchase anyway).

Just looking for suggestions on what's out there as I've been out of the loop for a while.......

Budget? The further below $2K it is the happier I'll be!

PS> I'm reasonably brand agnostic but do want decent room correction if possible.

PPS> I can make what I have work, it's just, well, ya know......new stuff........ :ermm: :whistle:

24 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

All up I will require 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, not particularly powerful or high quality, to be used primarily for TV, streaming and occasional background music.

Basically I need a hub/switch between the screen and various devices that handles the audio.

The lounge room is fairly acoustically compromised anyway and high quality viewing and music is reserved for the dedicated media room! ^_^

If you don't want atmos or dts-x ; have a look at the Anthem MRX 520 which is under 2k atm . Its also had its room eq upgraded with ARC genesis ?

https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/index.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevyn72 said:

Budget? The further below $2K it is the happier I'll be!

PS> I'm reasonably brand agnostic but do want decent room correction if possible.

With that budget and decent room correction, Colin has suggested probably the only AVR  (MRX 520) that fits your requirements. If you want an update on room correction software, have a look at this. Anthem Room Correction and Dirac Live are rated the best, and I have used both.

However, if budget becomes a priority and you still want some room correction, next best is Audyssey found on Denon & Marantz.  Room correction falls away for the other budget AVRs.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

With that budget and decent room correction, Colin has suggested probably the only AVR  (MRX 520) that fits your requirements. If you want an update on room correction software, have a look at this. Anthem Room Correction and Dirac Live are rated the best, and I have used both.

However, if budget becomes a priority and you still want some room correction, next best is Audyssey found on Denon & Marantz.  Room correction falls away for the other budget AVRs.

with the denon and marantz units as a minimum you want XT32. I note some lower rung tend to just get XT which is crazy we are talking 10 year old EQ tech there. if budget is a bother @Nevyn72  I'd just consider a superceded unit, can often pick up with close to 50% off and hence for your sub $2k likely getting a $3k+ unit ie the next step up :) and still come with all want. 

and especially if in no hurry just look out for the sales and what comes up 2nd hand :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

Could hold out for a second hand NAD T758v3 second hand?

We run one in our HT (by far and away our lesser spend compared to the 2 channel system) with a NAD power amp on the fronts... seriously impressive.

But OP requires 4 HDMI input.. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

But OP requires 4 HDMI input.. ?

Yep, can't leave the HD-DVD player stranded! :no:

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was thinking something along the lines of a Denon X2500H or Yamaha RVX1085 might be the go.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Yep, can't leave the HD-DVD player stranded! :no:

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I was thinking something along the lines of a Denon X2500H or Yamaha RVX1085 might be the go.......

that does come with xt32 which is good.... but again... Id if possible go the older 3 series ... 3400h :)  get a good step all around to a $2k AVR and will pay not much more on run out or 2nd hand vs the 2500h 

dont have to go for latest and greatest.

the yams have their fans, but just be aware their EQ and setup system for bass is not that flash ! 

• 1 year later...
On 21/05/2019 at 9:18 PM, betty boop said:

that does come with xt32 which is good.... but again... Id if possible go the older 3 series ... 3400h :)  get a good step all around to a $2k AVR and will pay not much more on run out or 2nd hand vs the 2500h 

dont have to go for latest and greatest.

the yams have their fans, but just be aware their EQ and setup system for bass is not that flash ! 

I think the 2*** series Denon's only have Audyssey XT - not XT32 (which I agree IS a necessity if looking at Denon/Marantz) 

On 22/11/2020 at 3:43 AM, 50mxe20 said:

I am thinking about a new amp too.

The Denon blew up Al

Budget $2k

Still have the Elektra

Any suggestions?

NAD T758V3 as long as you can live with limited HDMI ports.

If you want a pre processor only, there are used Anthem AVM 60s but over budget.

• Like 1