Sign in to follow this  
yurinator

Stereo regret - Anyone purchase new hifi gear and immediately been dissatisfied?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Not sure if there’s a lesson there? 

Maybe that you shouldn’t give up on something until you’ve fully explored what it can do

In a similar vein, a few years back I moved to a new place with my original amp and speakers. In the 20 odd years I'd always kept the bookshelf speakers either in a bookcase or very close to the wall. So I set them up the same way. After a while I became dissatisfied with the sound I was getting. I bought a new amp and cdp, changed cables, did everything but move the speakers. To my surprise in my current locale they needed to be brought right out into the room. Problem solved. Still have the CA amp and cd as back ups though.

Moral of the story? location location, locationxD

Edited by lemarquis

I am curious - why did you buy before taking home and listening on a trial basis?

I have very old Mission 751 speakers and thought, like yourself, it was time to upgrade. Long story short - what sounds great in-store can be just awful at home. I think there are so many variables and a trial basis is essential.

10 minutes ago, BrettBR said:

I am curious - why did you buy before taking home and listening on a trial basis?

I have very old Mission 751 speakers and thought, like yourself, it was time to upgrade. Long story short - what sounds great in-store can be just awful at home. I think there are so many variables and a trial basis is essential.

Short answer: take home trials not always available. You are quite right though re often sounding different at home. Sometimes they sound better :)

32 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

Short answer: take home trials not always available. You are quite right though re often sounding different at home. Sometimes they sound better :)

good point and oh yes, what a win that is.

3 hours ago, BrettBR said:

In my case, I got a very very good deal on the unit based on closing the deal there and then. I was prepared to take the risk 

26 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

In my case, I got a very very good deal on the unit based on closing the deal there and then. I was prepared to take the risk 

...fully understand and haven't we all done something similar. I wanted a red sports car so badly when in my 20s that I flew to Sydney to check-out a Jensen Healey. My impulsive buy meant I was plagued with trouble (over-heating engine, crap brakes, poor handling, leak in roof...) for 10 years. Now I know, if some-one is so keen to shift their gear, they will also be happy for me to try before I buy. If not, why not. You have to love sales techniques.

When the Vincent distributor changed hands over 18 months ago I purchased during the massive run out sale their top of the line pre and the huge 994 power amp. Sounded very ordinary out of the box and only improved a bit with run in. 

I know others have had great success with this combo but for me in my room with the rest of my gear the synergy just wasn’t there, so sold it within a couple of months.

To me it’s all about synergy, what works in one system won’t always work in another and vice versa.

cheers Terry

On 05/06/2019 at 2:45 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I married the Goddess using the same approach.

On 20/05/2019 at 7:12 PM, yurinator said:

Maybe the klipsch are more efficient to run that's why they sounded good with that amp. I dunno.

The Klipsch RP-600M speakers are definitely more efficient (sensitivity of 96 dB vs 87 dB). However, does this immediately translate into a more enjoyable speaker? I wouldn't think so. Of course opinions do vary in this regard. Perhaps your preferences are more suited towards the sound that the Klipsch speakers deliver.

Have you decided to stick with the Elac speakers to run them in? If yes, has your opinion changed in any way?

On 03/06/2019 at 10:28 PM, yurinator said:

I got a new schiit saga preamp to replace it. And some decent Interconnects. 

This is my system so far iMac> Tidal > Audirvana>Schiit Modi 3> Schiit Saga> Emotiva BasX A-150 > Elac debut B6.2.

So far I'm really enjoying this setup. I feel happier with my purchase. That feeling of regret has faded alot.

Disregard the post above. I seem to have missed this post on my previous scan.

Great to see that you persisted and ended up with a system that you now seem happy with (for the time being at least!).

Most of the products  that I have regretted purchasing have been/are still rated highly so not sure a good idea to list .....maybe  its my tastes that's the issue..... 

7 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

Most of the products  that I have regretted purchasing have been/are still rated highly so not sure a good idea to list .....maybe  its my tastes that's the issue..... 

I have experienced the same thing..

12 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

Would be interesting to hear. It is all just opinion at the end of the day

18 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Would be interesting to hear. It is all just opinion at the end of the day

Good call only my opinion and in comparison to other gear I have owned previously and at the time.......... Ayre MX-r's ,Antipodes DX , Krell SACD Standard 

I purchased a not cheap highly rated Primare Pre and hated every bit of its audio reproduction. Couldn't get rid of quick enough. Shallow and tinny sound.

Looked awesome though.

On 21/06/2019 at 4:35 PM, Jones99 said:

Unfortunately ratings are only proportional to price so most reviews are nigh on worthless. It's not like a magazine that gets its revenue from advertising can review a product and say "X component at 1/10th the price of this one sounds better, don't waste your money."