Sign in to follow this  
yurinator

Stereo regret - Anyone purchase new hifi gear and immediately been dissatisfied?

Anyone purchase new hifi gear and immediately been dissatisfied? 

I bought new speakers (elac debut 2.0 b6.2)  that were highly rated for the price and decent amp (emotiva a-150) to go with it. I auditioned in store and they sounded great but when I put next to my old speakers they just didn't seem worth all the money I spent. My current speakers (event project studio 6. are powered studio monitors that are over 10 years old that I purchased second hand and upgraded the tweeters.

Now I'm annoyed with having to sell the new gear I bought at a loss. Just because I had watched too many speaker reviews and wanted to purchase new speakers when I didn't need too.

I now appreciate my current speakers and realise how good they sound.

We sell the ELAC range although we much prefer to talk about the German designed/engineered/built products than the products coming out of ELAC America.

We found the Debut speakers to be exceptional value for money, however you need to have a substantially better (and ultimately) more expensive amplifier to get the best from them, which kinda defeats the purpose of why the Debut range exists?

Also, they need a stupid amount of running in time to really show their potential (I would say easily 100 hours in my experience). As they are a little on the harder side to drive, I think a better amp than the Emotiva wouldve been preferable.

How long have you had them at home now?

It's only been a day.... 

In store the emotiva was great with the amp. I even used the same emotiva to audition some klipsch rp-600m. And they sounded beautiful together. But they were out of my price range. Maybe the klipsch are more efficient to run that's why they sounded good with that amp. I dunno.

Hrmmm I get what you mean. I was originally looking at the schiit vidar with schiit saga pre amp.... 

Just comparing them to my current speakers it just doesn't seem to add much more. My current speakers have better highs and have more clarity. 

Maybe I should have save more to get speakers and amp in a higher range.

http://audiofi.net/2019/02/elac-b6-2-speakers-honestys-the-best-quality/

First review I read says 150 hours! The ones in the shop are probably past that. I do believe speakers being a moving part need some running in.

Andrew Jones has a good reputation for extracting great sound in this category. He doesn’t waste money on fancy cabinets. I still have his cheap Pioneers which were his first after he left TAD and I trust his ear.

You need a better amplifier than the Emotiva but I do feel that your speakers are the problem and although they will sound better after a few weeks, I wouldn't be expecting miracles. The Elac Debut range is certainly competent, but no more than that and the world wide reviews on these are bordering on fantasy.

Can you let me/us know what other amplifiers and speakers are available at the shop from which you purchased them. Klipsh are no great shakes either,unless you are seeking a dance party sound.

Guest DarkNark
4 minutes ago, yurinator said:

......Maybe I should have save more to get speakers and amp in a higher range.

Or run them in for a while and see if they improve to your liking. I assume the pair that you took home were brand new in a box, not the already, shop run in, "demonstrate" pair.

The reality is it would be preferable to audition in your own room compared to the store.

Possibly these speakers need a different room position compared to your previous speakers?

But to answer you question, yes I have been disappointed with purchases I have made, when I got them home. All part of the learning process I guess.

I miss the (German designed) BS73 standmount speakers - same price as the B6.2.

Better sound, better finish, easier to drive.

4 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Or run them in for a while and see if they improve to your liking. I assume the pair that you took home were brand new in a box, not the already, shop run in, "demonstrate" pair.

The reality is it would be preferable to audition in your own room compared to the store.

Possibly these speakers need a different room position compared to your previous speakers?

But to answer you question, yes I have been disappointed with purchases I have made, when I got them home. All part of the learning process I guess.

Yeah I'd love a rent a speaker option to audition at home. 

My thing is I already really like my old speakers . I got hyped watching too many reviews. I assumed they would be better because mine were 'old'. 

I've packed them up and put them up for sale. I just hope I don't lose too much on them. 

8 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

I miss the (German designed) BS73 standmount speakers - same price as the B6.2.

Better sound, better finish, easier to drive.

How do you tell if the amplifier is not adequate to drive the speakers? What should I be listening for?  

Selling them now or a month from now wont affect the sale price much. Clock as many hours as you can on them in the background, you never know, and you have nothing to lose!

Just now, yurinator said:

How do you tell if the amplifier is not adequate to drive the speakers? What should I be listening for?  

Unfortunately experience and a reliable, understanding and honest sales consultant. Emotiva have some powerful amps at the economical end of the market, but big numbers on paper doesnt always translate to an emotive experience (no pun intended). As already mentioned in the thread, both the speakers and amp require a running in time to hit their sweet spot.

I'm in work today (normally closed on a Monday) running in some new amps as I need them to be showing off their capabilities sooner rather than later.

4 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Unfortunately experience and a reliable, understanding and honest sales consultant. Emotiva have some powerful amps at the economical end of the market, but big numbers on paper doesnt always translate to an emotive experience (no pun intended). As already mentioned in the thread, both the speakers and amp require a running in time to hit their sweet spot.

I'm in work today (normally closed on a Monday) running in some new amps as I need them to be showing off their capabilities sooner rather than later.

Thanks mate,

I guessed I rushed this decision and will need more research next time. Thanks for your input frank

47 minutes ago, rantan said:

Klipsh are no great shakes either,unless you are seeking a dance party sound.

Really?

I think at least, at least an IMHO would have been apposite.

1 minute ago, allthumbs said:

Really?

I think at least, at least an IMHO would have been apposite.

OK.

IMO.

Maybe you could share your impressions of classical music, chamber pieces especially when played through the Klipsch RP-160M for instance, or perhaps a piano concerto or a late quartet from Beethoven?

What ancillary gear did you use, was it at home, how many hours did you spend auditioning them, or perhaps it was with the 150m or 600m.?

Which particular Klipsch speaker did you recently spend some time with (and how much time)?

Maybe you could share your impressions of classical music, chamber pieces especially when played through the Klipsch RP-160M for instance, or perhaps a piano concerto or a late quartet from Beethoven?

What ancillary gear did you use, was it at home, how many hours did you spend auditioning them, or perhaps it was with the 150m or 600m.?

Which particular Klipsch speaker did you recently spend some time with (and how much time)?

Pretty sure the OP purchased Elac, not Klipsch.

10 minutes ago, barn door said:

He did, but Klipsch was a consideration.

10 minutes ago, barn door said:

My apologies  my response was meant for @rantan.

Hi,

That sort of mistake is more often than you think. We call it a journey. 

I would keep the amp for a while and get second hand floorstanding speakers. Something that brand new was at least $2000. At Len Wallis (Lane Cove) they had recently Focal chorus but they are selling pretty fast (for a reason).  

2 hours ago, yurinator said:

Anyone purchase new hifi gear and immediately been dissatisfied? 

No!

However, I have purchased new hifi gear and then a week later been burgled - I reckon the salesman was tied up with a burglary ring!  :(

Andy

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

No!

However, I have purchased new hifi gear and then a week later been burgled - I reckon the salesman was tied up with a burglary ring!  :(

Andy

Okay you win, that sucks so much!!

No, I've never bought Emotiva :)

Have you tried to move them around your room? are your old speakers rear ported vs the front ports of the Elac's?
what are you lacking from what you heard in the store? A good burn in would help, however maybe there are other factors, what are the other components in the system?

BTW - I've been through something similar, however i worked on it and improved it.

A bit puzzled why there’s such a huge difference in sound and perception at the store versus at home. Speakers not run in? Room acoustic/speaker positioning at home?  

Either way, seems like OP already made up his/her mind to give up and move on. 

Don’t hesitate to ask for advice here on SNA prior to your next purchase rather than just rely on reviews.