Frugalhorn

The Frugel-Horn XL (please note the proper spelling) is a very versatile speaker, and has shown many that FR is a real serious option. One can change its personality by using a different driver, althou the leading candidates are the FF165wk, the Alpair 1.3/10p and the new A11ms.

dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't put him down for looking at frugal horns.  :) I went through this phase - building a nice set of TQWT speakers based on an 8" Fostex driver.  High efficiency driven by low power SET. Not hifi by a lot of people's rules, but still fun to listen to. I still quite like them, and I still prefer speakers with full-range or a small number of drivers.  2-way at most :)      I still love the open back sound of a 12" Rola full-range speaker like the Bell&Howell movie projectors used to use for example.  It's a whole area of sub-hifi, and lot's of fun.

Thanks everyone for your input. As stated I am really just looking for a hi fi carpentry project that doesn’t look like a pair of boxes but sounds good. I am not especially fixed on a single full range design, however the Frugel-Horn XL did rise to the top of my research list. I welcome any advice be it negative or positive. Planet 10 is a great a great resource so maybe I should be directing my enquires there. Thanks again.

Go for it. If you want, build with a removable supraBaffle so you can swap drivers and see what kinds of differences there are between drivers. 

What kind of amps do you have kicking around?

dave

Hi Dave, I just picked up a quad 34/306 which sounds lovely and will replace the April music Stello system. I generally listen to vinyl and use Spotify for research. Thanks for your encouragement however the price of decent plywood seems high. I live in a timber area so any thoughts on solid timber?

Cyprus Macrocarpa is readily available in most areas and makes a good enclosure for F-H. I have also used Norfolk Pine successfully. You should have a veritable smorgasbord of timbers available in your region. Silky Oak would look stunning, Milky Pine would also work, just avoid Radiata. I'm fortunate to have access to a bandsaw mill so am able to try a lot of different timbers.

Just depends on the final appearance you might want to achieve.

Edited by PicoWattson