The Fez

Technics SE-A100 Power Amplifier

Item: Technics SE-A100 -- 2 Channel Power Amplifier
Price: $1700.00
Item Condition: Very good
Reason for selling: Thinning the herd
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

The SE-A100 is generally regarded as a superb amplifier and it introduced the VC-4 Class AA configuration amplifier design. The amplifier was released in 1985, (yen300,000) and was in production to 1989. This example is a 1987 build. The amplifier that followed, the SE-A5000 is simply a facelifted SE-A100. 

Class AA is a simple yet brilliant idea. Four amplifiers, two per channel. A voltage control amplifier and a current drive amplifier. The voltage control amplifier is isolated from the load by a "Class AA" bridge. The bridge is a series of resistors in circuit between the Class A voltage amp and the Class B current drive amp. 

I sourced this amplifier from Japan. These are very rare amplifiers in any country out of Japan. Technics did export these amplifiers, in numbers I'm not sure of, however over the years I have been researching and looking at this range of Technics power amps, they are rarely for sale in Europe, the United States or any other country. And if you see a nice example be prepared to pay very big $$ for one. Note the "timber" side panels, these were only offered on the Japanese models, all export models are sans timber sides. 

Build quality is very good, nice weight at 34kg. Cosmetically, not mint but very nice, straight nothing major, presents very well. The design and presentation of the amplifier is first class. The dark overtones, with the black, with silver highlites, the slightly smoky beveled full glass front panel and the subtle incandescent lights (there are four lights per meter) make for a very attractive and classy piece of audio. 

Power ratings 170w @ 8 ohms - 200w @ 6 ohms. 

Sound can only be described as amazing. I have a few nice amps and this one is right up there.  It has good authority yet the detail and finesse are there also, really nice. 

Please note this is a 100VAC Japanese model. 

Please note this amplifier is pick up only 

Pictures:

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

Oh yum!

I hope that tosser in Berwick has a look at this and see how much of a turd he is with his pricing!! Looks great! Glwts 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, romekaff said:

I hope that tosser in Berwick has a look at this and see how much of a turd he is with his pricing!! Looks great! Glwts 

He'd have to evolve a little to become a turd

Edited by Yngvi

Oh to be rich.... lovely piece of kit, great price.

Jelly....

One of the best power amp of Technics and very good price. GLWTS

On 20/05/2019 at 8:13 AM, romekaff said:

I thought it was $17,000!!!!! The air was blue round here yesterday.

I have had a few queries regarding shipping. As mentioned I don't want to pack and ship this beautiful amplifier myself.

However --  for those interstate and so inclined to pay for freight,  I will deliver the amplifier to pack n send or whatever carrier you think will work for you. Or it can be picked up from my address by said shipping company. Be aware however that the packed weight of this unit could be tipping the scales at close to 40kg... Thanks...