5 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Is that streaming or playing a record

Why never played

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a record and then not played it😀

And that is a great record

Never played...probably at the time I bought it, it was because I had been a penniless British student on a placement in Toulouse, S. France in the summer of 1978. The movie 'The Last Waltz' was advertised in the cinema yet I could not afford to go, hence I bought this LP set on my return to UK.

My musical tastes have considerably broadened in the many years since, hence I'm now amenable to playing those LPs, particularly as I also now own a reasonable TT / cart and phono stage.

• Like 1
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights  

This is quite good if you like old school blues

Melody Gardot - Worrisome Heart.   Thanks @April Snow for the recommendation, she is good.    

Posted (edited)

‘Twas looking for album masters to play on Tidal and saw this posted in SNA earlier, so thought I’d give it a burl. Pretty good but not as good as Harvest, which is the only Neil Young album that I really like. I find most of his stuff boring but Harvest has several excellent songs.

So far the title track is the most enjoyable and sounds good at >90kHz

108B0F13-AF29-4B1F-9EC2-298DDA029FAA.jpeg

The track “We don’t smoke it no more” sounds great, especially since I enabled ‘output to MQA dac’ on my Node. I’m enjoying this more now, harmonica and strings sounding sweet.

Edited by Esoterica
Forgot the pic
  • Like 1

Street-Legal, Bob Dylan on spotify.

Claptone - Charmer (2015).  Abso'love 🥰 this album (have on CD too) and just realised they released another (Fantast, 2018).

I think fans of Rüfüs will dig this 😎  ...sample "Heartbeat", "Your Body.." and "Ghost" to see if it floats ya boat.

R-7618226-1465052088-6141.jpeg.jpgR-7618226-1465052114-8138.jpeg.jpg

Edited by 2Brix
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Streaming on Bandcamp and Tidal and waiting for a vinyl repress. Weirdly wonderful and wonderfully weird, Kiwi musician Vanessa Worm

a1423907448_10.jpg

Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop. Amazing album, much better than The Magazine and Flying cowboys IMHO

Rickie.jpg

• Like 3

Was streaming Bad//Dreems, which made me think of Pist idiots, who are better pub rock/punk imo...

Streaming this right now...

541C876C-71ED-4C78-800D-66B3BE7442AD.jpeg

Can't believe this was recorded in '64. Sounds like it was recorded yesterday with modern equipment. It almost has a bi-aural presentation if listening with headphones. 120692631_ScreenShot2020-08-05at12_40_12pm.png.f401260765d76e509b90922e3dea0e5b.png

• Like 3

I know this is a big call but IMO this is one of the best Paul Kelly albums so far. Grabowski on piano and Paul Kelly is fabulous. 

Well worth a listen. 

7599D15C-7BFF-424F-A9DA-7D236A8DD594.png

Bohren for Beginners

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

2016   17 songs   2:06:28

I discovered this by chance when a track appeared on a playlist on Tidal.

It is a 2CD compilation album so acts as a good introduction to the German band before diving deeper if interested (which I am!)

It is quite laid back ambient jazz so probably not to everyone's taste (but hey, what is?  <g>) 

This has some lovely warm deep bass that just envelops you.

image.png.3d7bf0bf1b3a5bc4b0fe49e818840a5c.png

• Like 1

Needed something relaxing, hence tried a band mentioned in an Amoeba Records "What's in my bag"? video. It's pretty much what I was looking for.

Low - The Invisible Way

3F6C111F-2B07-404B-952D-ABBD65935220.jpeg

1 hour ago, hlov said:

Melody Gardot - Worrisome Heart.

Thanks @April Snow for the recommendation, she is good.

You are welcome - I have brought all her vinyls now - and they are exceptionally good - "Thrill" is fantastic but I really love "Currency of Man" - but recommend the Artists Cut on that one as it is better than the standard release. I am a Melody "fan girl" now - LOL - she has also just released a song with Sting - that is worth checking out too - they sound great together & I am hoping it is on her new album due to be released towards the end of this year.

I just realised that there was a new Telefonica Tel Aviv album released last year, the first in a decade. 

if you like big, powerful, atmospheric electronic music beautifully produced to within an inch of its life, this one is for you.

Josh Eustis is an amazing producer, having done stints in Nine Inch Nails and Puscifer as well as his side gig the Black Queen. If you’ve got a system with decent bass response and good imaging this one will be a treat.

https://telefon-tel-aviv.bandcamp.com/album/dreams-are-not-enough

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/telefon-tel-aviv-dreams-are-not-enough/amp/

it’s streaming on all the usual services. 

On 05/08/2020 at 12:41 PM, Munce31 said:

Can't believe this was recorded in '64. Sounds like it was recorded yesterday with modern equipment. It almost has a bi-aural presentation if listening with headphones. 120692631_ScreenShot2020-08-05at12_40_12pm.png.f401260765d76e509b90922e3dea0e5b.png

On 05/08/2020 at 12:41 PM, Munce31 said:

the reason it sounds so good is because it was recorded 64 years ago,all analogue ,valve equipment,reeel to reel tape.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

There's clearly more to Belarus than tinpot dictators. Clearly influenced by Joy Division, Magazine and early New Order, and in a very good good way. So impressed, I've ordered the vinyl. The band's name is Molchat Doma.

sbr3037-molchatdoma-1800_1024x1024.jpg?v

• Like 2