Receiver doesn't support HDR. Is there a workaround?

Hi guys,

This is my first post! There was a similar question asked yesterday but I don't think represents exactly what I need help with, so here goes!

I have just purchased a new 2019 Samsung 75" QLED (Q75R) and I'm looking for a way to enjoy the benefits of HDR. I have been using an Xbox One S for gaming and media duties (Bluray, Netflix, and Plex) and outputting 1080p to an old Samsung LCD  through my Marantz SR6007 for years with no issues, but now I will be able to view in 4K HDR. I know that the receiver does support 4K passthrough but only @30hz and no HDR as its only HDMI 1.4. Now the question I am asking is, how can I do this?

Is there a way to plug the Xbox into the TV and have audio output to the receiver via HDMI (ARC) or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

There is another device I have come across that will extract the audio and allow output for video via HDMI to the display (4k@60Hz) and audio via HDMI for a receiver, stating that it can support Dolby-HD, DTS-HD, LPCM 7.1 high-quality audio format. 

For all intents and purposes, this looks like it could work! https://www.amazon.com.au/4K-60HZ-HDCP2-2-Extractor-2-0HDMI/dp/B07PLYZRYD

I don't want to go out an buy a new receiver as this one does a great job and supports all of the formats that I require at this stage. Can someone help with my problem?

Thanks in advance.

:welcome: to the forum

15 minutes ago, theBob82 said:

Is there a way to plug the Xbox into the TV and have audio output to the receiver via HDMI (ARC) or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

That is the theory with ARC.  Need to check whether the ARC works with your receiver and whether it passes through the right audio formats.  Some people are using ARC successfully, but not me...

17 minutes ago, theBob82 said:

There is another device I have come across that will extract the audio and allow output for video via HDMI to the display (4k@60Hz) and audio via HDMI for a receiver, stating that it can support Dolby-HD, DTS-HD, LPCM 7.1 high-quality audio format. 

For all intents and purposes, this looks like it could work! https://www.amazon.com.au/4K-60HZ-HDCP2-2-Extractor-2-0HDMI/dp/B07PLYZRYD

There is an element of luck buying such devices, sometimes it works, often not.  Suggest going to a reputable retailer such as

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/product-category/hdmi-splitters/

Contact them and they can advise on what is best for your setup.,

@theBob82 I wouldnt rely on ARC in any case. I have an xbox one X and one failing is lack of dual hdmi out many players have. or you'd be right. a splitter as has been suggested is possibly best option humid wise....

I have certainly used both hd fury and blue stream (available through qualifi)  but just be aware neither are all that cheap... andalso can introduce a bunch of their own issues...

I'd check in with ezyhd as been suggested. 

ps as another thought ? hdmi direct xbox one X to tv audio via optical to AVR ? as likely with ARC thats best possibly get back from the TV in any case ? if your TV has an optical out ... some do... can use that too if don want to come off the Xbox one X . standard work around if getting sick of ARC. 

Thank you all for your comments! I ended up speaking with Keith at EzyHD and he advised to get the HDFury Integral 2, which I have just ordered!! Its an expensive piece of kit and I hope it all goes to plan but this was really my only option of keeping HD audio and 4K HDR at the same time without the costly purchase of buying a new AVR.

As a side note, I will run optical from the TV back to my AVR in case I can't get ARC working properly through HDMI

$385 plus delivery for the HDFury.. I think a new receiver would of been my option..especially if you sold your old one to recoop some money..lets hope your receiver doesn't pop anytime soon..

• Like 1

That's an expensive way to output digital audio to the Marantz. There are other options such as a $20 Xbox tv tuner (ebay) for freeveiw tv, and optical cable from xbox to Marantz. This option eliminates the lipsync lag that the HDMI ARC seems to have with my setup from the xbox one S. The 6007 (I have a 6008) isn't able to process the Dolby atmos signal so no disadvantage using spdif over the HDMI and is easily configured in the setup of the Xbox and Marantz for any video channel. You can actually run both audio outputs, with different digital signal (Dolby Digital, DTS or Stereo) from the Xbox if you want to compare sound quality. Otherwise optical or coax to the Marantz from the TV would also work fine. There is a heap of different audio assignment options within the Marantz so you can specify any of the inputs with any of the video inputs.

• Like 1