Sign in to follow this  
knight2001dts

JBL - Project OLYMPUS MONS

Thanks for the info!

@kelossus is there any link to the work Greg has done?

I'd love to read more about that project.

I have not heard the 2441 drivers, but I tell you what - given the JBL gear you have listened to, I'm dying to hear them now - and also a pair of the 250ti's

I workedas a technician for an audio wholesale/hire company for several years, and my bench setup was a pair of the 4425 studio monitors with a MOSFET amplifier - the sound combination I now find myself drawn to.

I have recently been listening again to some dome tweeters vs the horn drivers, and the sound is incredibly different....not in a bad way, but just different.

I have generally used MOSFET amplification with horn drivers to just take off some of the edge or the bite that they give me (maybe not others?)

What is your preferred device? Valve/MOSFET/BJT/other?

3 hours ago, knight2001dts said:

Thanks for the info!

@kelossus is there any link to the work Greg has done?

I'd love to read more about that project.

I have not heard the 2441 drivers, but I tell you what - given the JBL gear you have listened to, I'm dying to hear them now - and also a pair of the 250ti's

I workedas a technician for an audio wholesale/hire company for several years, and my bench setup was a pair of the 4425 studio monitors with a MOSFET amplifier - the sound combination I now find myself drawn to.

I have recently been listening again to some dome tweeters vs the horn drivers, and the sound is incredibly different....not in a bad way, but just different.

I have generally used MOSFET amplification with horn drivers to just take off some of the edge or the bite that they give me (maybe not others?)

What is your preferred device? Valve/MOSFET/BJT/other?

Here is the link to Greg's DIY 4-ways. He also has a pair of Everest's.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?9951-Greg-Timbers-amp-DIY/page4

The larger 2 inch compression drivers are light years ahead of the smaller LE85's, 2420's, 2425's etc. Just an effortless sound. The speed and power of the drivers somewhat reminds of Yamaha's Beryllium mid-range drivers but better.

I run my 4350's with a 400 watt Krell on the HF section and a 450 watt JBL (its a rebadged QSC) Pro amp on the LF section. I run a tube preamp to take the edge of the horn. Had a quite a few preamps on demo as of late. Still haven't settled on a mainstay yet.

i agree with chris, having owned from new a pair of jbl 250ti and a three way horn system (le15a bass driver- jbl smith horn with 2441 compression drivers and jbl 2405 slot tweeter,jbl crossovers,sure did kick arse and in a good way, but as in life all good things must pass, due to different circumstances and getting older have downsized but still listening to jbl 4425s.

me750 005.JPG

original pics 038.JPG

jbl l300 002.JPG

Thanks so much for all the info and sharing of experiences guys!!

Greg's DIY JBL's look incredible! 

I have to say I'm very keen to hear some 2441's now - getting a good wrap here!

How does the newer 15" LF drivers such as the 2216ND-1 compare to the old school LE15B? 

I'm thinking I'd love to hear a combination of the 2216ND-1 and the 2241 !!!  or 3 way with a 2405 or the like for some UHF?

The 2216ND-1's are apparently being used (audiokarma thread) as drop-in replacements for the LE15B in L200's (and some xover mods) to massively improve the bottom end and give new life to an already amazing sound.

Have never heard the 2216ND-1 but by all accounts it would be light years better than any vintage JBL driver.

The LE15B to my ears was not a great driver. It really lacks weight. It is a snappy driver but doesn't thump like the 2231/2235. Also lacks deep LF extension. I couldn't get them out of my L200's any quicker.

If I were playing with a pair of 2216ND's it would only make sense to pair them with the D2430K's and make 4367 or M2's.

You might find my thread of interest given your questions. I have gone for a system that uses TAD and Audio Elegance drivers. I think the differences between many of the top drivers are quite minimal, Los has owned and tested plenty. I went TAD because I didn't want to die wondering :)

On 18/05/2019 at 3:18 PM, knight2001dts said:

What JBL drivers would you use in a dream cabinet if money was no object?  Would it be a double 15"?

@kelossus - I would love to try the D2430K driver but I'm pretty sure they are a restricted purchase?  Can't seem to find them available anywhere...  Do you have a lead? :)

@mondie - WOW!  That's some awesome reading!!  I have not heard any of the TAD range of drivers, but after some quick reading around, the 4002 compression drivers at least are getting a good wrap when being compared with the likes of the 2441.  Might have to expand the search (God help me!!  I thought I had a line in the sand to guide me!)

@ZOOTYtooty - how do those 2360 horns sound?  Do you still have that setup I found photos of around here somewhere?  They look amazing!

You just need the serial number from a pair of 4367's or M2's to buy them. I think you can buy them without this but they cost significantly more.

2360's are pretty awesome if you have the space! They are extremely directional. I have a great deal more love for the 2380 horn, it is everything most will need in a domestic environment..

I love the look of the 2380 horn - and appears to be a much more manageable size!

Any ideas as to what model the horn on the M2 or the 4367 are??

I’m also looking into getting hold of the D2 comp driver and  a 2216nd-1 to try out 😁

I have some 4320 monitors, and I am quite familiar with the sound of the 2215B drivers, but the 2216nd-1 will leave it in the dust!! 

I’m dying to hook up the comp driver to @Tubularbells 4435’s (sitting on top of the cab on a bracket as I doubt he will allow me to router a bigger hole for the 2” driver haha) and see the difference it makes.....obviously it would need some xover tweaks to make it perform at its best, but should be interesting!

Whilst the D2430K has a huge range, I reckon there is space for a midrange driver in the M2 configuration??

Any suggestions for an awesome sounding midrange from those who have played with many??

Ok well now to drawing a line in the sand and focusing on a goal.....

After discussion with @Tubularbells I am going to focus on the design and build of a modern day 4435.

This will be a bass reflex enclosure comprising of the D2430K compression driver and M2 horn with 2 x 2216nd-1 drivers per box.

Simple in its design, but should give an amazing low frequency response whilst also going to super HF 

I will try to keep the design similar to the 4435 in appearance but also add some modern killer looks to it.

Time to do some maths :)

An alternate driver to consider is the 2453H-SL

1 hour ago, oohms said:

An alternate driver to consider is the 2453H-SL

Thankyou!!

I’ll check that one out :)

OK....

so after getting in touch with Harman, I have an engineers spec sheet for the 2216nd 15" driver used in the M2

They do not have a sheet for, and "do not sell", the 2216nd-1 15" driver used in the 4367 studio monitor.

They are different units, but no specs are publicly available :(

I am pretty keen on the idea of a 4435 style box with double 15" (using the 2216nd-1 which can be sourced from a few places)

The waveguide used in the 4367 is certainly not available, but the M2 waveguide is.....and it uses the same driver as the 4367 - the D2430K.

approx cost of LF drivers, comp drivers and M2 WG's for two double 15" boxes comes out around US$5000 (plus shipping+GST) which is pretty awesome given the cost of a pair of single 15" 4367's is anywhere from $15-20K....

Are you going to run these active?