Jump to content

raff

Recessed Acoustic Motorised Tensioned Screen!

Recommended Posts

 

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

@raff 

 

https://www.krix.com.au/symmetrix/

 

could possibly even consider the symmetrix if dont want on wall and instead go in wall ? only need 70mm behind ? only 170m wide ? 

 

brick walls, bloody hard for inwalls! Pillars are structural more than looks. Holds up a large open hallway concrete suspended slab- not fond of cutting too much out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, raff said:

Owner built, know every nook and cranny! Bulk head is empty but furring channels are front to back so would have to take down part ceiling to redo or may build an additional small 150x150 bulkhead to house screen. 

 

When I designed the house, the recess was to house a fixed 100' screen with 3 decent speakers behind. Now I know the damage a 3yo can do, i have changed course! 

great stuff so know whats possible in the room ! :) I took heaps of photos of our place as being built been invaluable for upgrades over the years :D 

 

Just now, raff said:

brick walls, bloody hard for inwalls! Pillars are structural more than looks. Holds up a large open hallway concrete suspended slab- not fond of cutting too much out!

ouch ! 

 

is it posible to build and box onto ? as they only need 70mm ? and come wiht their own back boxes. I bet you if you redid those pillars with the symmetrix built onto fronts (boxed in with plaster...  ... no one be the wiser :D 

 

5 minutes ago, raff said:

Thanks for you time to reply. Definitely gives me some things to play with, my wifes eye glaze over when i try discuss options!!

no worries ... more ideas more choices... hopefully something there that helps or if nothing else gets you train of thought taking to something else that works :) its a nice room as it is and hope can take further for use you intend :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Box them out. You're an ideas man.  That could well be a goer!

 

I'll stew on a few things. My wife can't work out why I sit in the room and stare at the wall with the TV off!

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, raff said:

I'll stew on a few things. My wife can't work out why I sit in the room and stare at the wall with the TV off!

:D love it ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Try this on.....

 

A68-E7-AF3-C1-BB-4-E77-B777-38-E387952-D
 

a compromise but workable?

 

The Tryptix are a LCR and can be mounted horizontally as the center speaker is the same as the L/R as far as I can see. I know there are arguments against this but if he MTM are equi distance and with a ring tweeter would I lose much, considering it will be mostly kids movies! 

 

I was concerned  with  speakers against the back corner walls of the recess and the possibility of having reflections within the recess.  Could laying all 3 on there side, tilted up and L/R in toward the viewer work? I would have plenty of play to move speakers angles and cover openings with custom speaker cloth grill. Cabinetry will be black so should blend in.  It would then remove the acoustic screen requirement.

 

I could live with a 96’ screen, hidden behind overhead cabinet. Im a stickler for neat, discrete installations. Move the couch towards screen as suggested by Betty to suit and increase the rear speaker distance as a benefit? 

 

Thoughts??

Edited by raff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In one of our earlier homes we hid the motorised screen in bulkhead ceiling void.

 

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.42.19 am.jpg

HT.jpg

Edited by EZYHD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @raff,


The Tryptix is a discontinued speaker, however 3 x Sonix would work very well here (they have the same MTM as the Tryptix and Symmetrix).

 

I think you'd find they'd suit the application well.

Cheers,


Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, EZYHD said:

In one of our earlier homes we hid the motorised screen in bulkhead ceiling void.

 

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 8.42.19 am.jpg

HT.jpg

Very neat, l like it. How did the speakers work being below the screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

Hi @raff,


The Tryptix is a discontinued speaker, however 3 x Sonix would work very well here (they have the same MTM as the Tryptix and Symmetrix).

 

I think you'd find they'd suit the application well.

Cheers,


Michael

Thanks Micheal,

 

I already have the Tryptix from a previous set up and keen to use them again? Would they still be suitable to lay horizontal as sketched? 

 

Any benefit in running 3x Sonix over the Trytix in cabinet? I could use 2 of the Tryptix as rear surrounds? 

 

Edited by raff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, raff said:

Thanks Micheal,

 

I already have the Tryptix from a previous set up and keen to use them again? Would they still be suitable to lay horizontal as sketched? 

 

Any benefit in running 3x Sonix over the Trytix in cabinet? I could use 2 of the Tryptix as rear surrounds? 

 

Oh if that's the case I'd absolutely use them.

The Sonix is very similar, just in a black timber cabinet with slightly different dimensions. If the Tryptix suited better as surrounds (easily wall mountable and gloss enclosure) then you could certainly pair them with Sonix at the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

Oh if that's the case I'd absolutely use them.

The Sonix is very similar, just in a black timber cabinet with slightly different dimensions. If the Tryptix suited better as surrounds (easily wall mountable and gloss enclosure) then you could certainly pair them with Sonix at the front.

Great, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, raff said:

Very neat, l like it. How did the speakers work being below the screen?

All the speakers were Earthquake from US and once on they filled the room, you see we just don't like boxes and they suited us fine, mind you it was about 2008 and that HT was the catalyst to commence EZYHD along with quite a few from DTV forums asking me to bring some back from OS trade show in HK) as HDMI cables in them days were not plentiful and a frightful price.
The reason the guy bought the house (for a record amount at the time) was the HT.
Few more pics...

Cabling copy.JPG

lounge copy.JPG

wall:cabinet copy.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, EZYHD said:

All the speakers were Earthquake from US and once on they filled the room, you see we just don't like boxes and they suited us fine, mind you it was about 2008 and that HT was the catalyst to commence EZYHD along with quite a few from DTV forums asking me to bring some back from OS trade show in HK) as HDMI cables in them days were not plentiful and a frightful price.
The reason the guy bought the house (for a record amount at the time) was the HT.
Few more pics...

Cabling copy.JPG

lounge copy.JPG

wall:cabinet copy.JPG

Looks great mate! Love everything neat and mostly hidden- great to keep the kids out of it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we must have the HT WAF wherever we have a house. The good woman must have it all neat and tidy 100% of the time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks to all that replied to this topic.

 

Great to have some input to come up with a workable and wife approved solution! I have started some work on the sketch from above and have decided the Krix speakers horizontal and hidden in cabinet will be a good compromise for keeping things neat and negating the need for a acoustic screen.

 

I spoke with Screen Technics who will make me a custom screen to fit the recess. Ends up approx 90’ viewing size which will be enough for kids movies!! 

 

I have started making up the speaker cloth doors to make sure wife is happy and will get some black melamine ripped up for the carcass.

 

2-E356-AE9-BB14-4-EEA-82-B0-B10-D4-A25-D
FBA8-B67-F-DC02-4-D93-A70-D-1-F5-A1-D83-
C356-EBAA-5-B14-4769-8-DC9-A2183-A85-FCD
B1-E1-AD1-E-E004-40-CE-86-AD-3-E7-A9908-

 

cheers

Edited by raff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...