raff

Recessed Acoustic Motorised Tensioned Screen!

I have a newly built house with a small 4.8w x 4.2d theatre/playroom.

Designing some custom cabinetry and would like to have an on wall 65' TV for the kids general FTA viewing and a drop down screen for movie nights.

Seating position is 3.9m so would like an approx 100' screen. I'm limited with width due a recess in the room, so speakers will end up behind drop down screen.

Im on the hunt for an approx 100' Acoustically transparent motorised tensioned screen, preferably in ceiling/recessed. 

Budget is on the lower end as it will only be to watch movies with the kids.

Screenguys have their own branded screens but not recessed. The only screen i can find is the chinese brand XY Screens through Alibaba although would prefer to buy local.

Any suggestions?

Hi I bought an electric 120” CinemaScope tab tensioned screen. The brand is Elegance. It wasn’t expensive

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/catalogsearch/result/index/?manufacturer=Elegance%20Screen&q=Elegance%20Screen#/page/4

at the time $2500. I can’t see they still have tab tensioned though. I really like my tab tensioned model. Really flat surface. Has lasted 10 years with no issues!

There is Elite screens but I’m not sure of quality.
https://www.kickstartcomputers.com.au/shop/tvs-home-theatre/projector-screens/elite-screens-skt100xhw-e12-saker-tab-tension-100inch-169-aspect-electric-screen-wall-ceiling-ir-remote-rf-remote-low-voltage-3-way-wall-switch-ir-extended-receiver-12v-trigger-rj45-co/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_YPnBRBREiwAIP6TJ8LUk19vgF6ay_YFya0hF4EfkSozjC5SZzlDmTPLrAo9F6bXN1Py7BoCQyQQAvD_BwE

Give Screen Technics a call, they may be able to do a tab tensioned screen that is also acoustically transparent. 

Unfortunately it adds a few dollars to the price. I have a 110 tab tensioned screen and was $2700 from memory. Add on the AT Screen and ceiling flush mount kit and i would imagine $3500 or so. 

Do you really need a AT screen? Will your LCR speakers be behind the screen. It may be worth moving the speakers out wider, or if they are not floor standers; mount them slightly lower. Will save a bucket load and give you more options. For 110 you may not need a tab tensioned screen either, they are flatter than standard screens, but standard are still good too. 

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately need to be acoustic transparent due to the limitation of the recess.

B4-CBAA28-BFF0-4-E97-9-D15-133-FA0-A9618

The original plan when I built the house was to go for a 100’ fixed screen but with young kids most of the viewing with be FTA so hence the wish to have a 65 TV for general viewing and larger screen for movie nights.

I did have a quote from XY screens using there Soundmax 4K material which gets good reviews from the states. $680US delivered for non recess and $1150 recessed version. That was for 110’ too.

Thanks for the info, will keep

planning! 

sorry for my ignorance but cant you just get a motorised screen, cut out a recess in the tv recessed ceiling, box it up  and mount it there? doesnt need to be made as a "recessed screen" does it?

13 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

sorry for my ignorance but cant you just get a motorised screen, cut out a recess in the tv recessed ceiling, box it up  and mount it there? doesnt need to be made as a "recessed screen" does it?

That was plan B, although it will sit in front of the recess area as the width of a tensioned screen box means I’d be lucky to fit a 84’ screen inside the recess. I will be making a false bulkhead/pelmet in front of the recess and could

accommodate a 100-110’ screen. A recessed screen may just look neater than custom housing.

With the price difference and availability, I may be best building a box to house a non recessed screen.

@raff sorry I dont understand the bother. put the TV in the wall inside in the "recess" 

dont put the speakers in the recess ... have them forward of the area and clear of the screen that falls down in front of the recess ? 

you can mount motorised screen to the ceiling above the recess.

perhaps missing something. the drawing posted is un dimensioned in the width ie gives no clues to the recess or width of room overall only shows two door openings so a bit lacking to make much more in recommendation....

Recess is only 2300mm wide. Not wide enough to house a screen with speakers either side unfortunately   

5 minutes ago, raff said:

Recess is only 2300mm wide. Not wide enough to house a screen with speakers either side unfortunately   

not suggesting to house the screen inside :) suggesting to house telly inside. screen drops down in front..... speakers go either side of the screen ? what is stopping that ? 

is it possible to post a full picture showing the room and dimensions, because possibly am missing something ? 

also even if go for the recess.... 2300mm would still take a 100" screen. while not huge... a screen is only as big as how far aways sit from it. is there a reason sitting at 3.9m ? where is that in relation to rest of the room ? keeping in mind a 100" at 3.5m looks exactly same as a 110" at 3.9 m :) ie the closer you sit the larger the smaller the screen you can go for ... for the same experience  :) 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

not suggesting to house the screen inside :) suggesting to house telly inside. screen drops down in front..... speakers go either side of the screen ? what is stopping that ? 

is it possible to post a full picture showing the room and dimensions, because possibly am missing something ? 

also even if go for the recess.... 2300mm would still take a 100" screen. while not huge... a screen is only as big as how far aways sit from it. is there a reason sitting at 3.9m ? where is that in relation to rest of the room ? keeping in mind a 100" at 3.5m looks exactly same as a 110" at 3.9 m :) ie the closer you sit the larger the smaller the screen you can go for ... for the same experience  :) 

I’ll take some photos when I’m home.

As its predominately a play room, the room is less user friendly than I’d like but I enjoy the challenge! Had a 5m x 8m theatre in my last house pre kids but the days of fixed screens, floorstanders and open AV equipment are gone 😀

546-DA163-62-FC-4-EE1-BE55-9996-CE00-ADF

Room is 4830 wide and 4190 deep not including recess (recess 500 deep).

Not being a big room, couch will be against back wall so head sitting approx 3.9m from front of recess.

A 100’ screen top case is at least 2600  so will have to mount in front. Considered tapping into cavity either side of recess but being brick, not easy to do.

Speakers will have to be within recess to keep them away from the kids and limited space elsewhere. Wall mounted Krix Tryptix along side the wall mounted 65 

2 minutes ago, raff said:

I’ll take some photos when I’m home.

As its predominately a play room, the room is less user friendly than I’d like but I enjoy the challenge! Had a 5m x 8m theatre in my last house pre kids but the days of fixed screens, floorstanders and open AV equipment are gone 😀

I wouldnt stress ! you'll still achieve some pretty awesome results to be pretty pleased about... much can be achieved even without a dedicated room...where there is a will there is a way ! :D I managed to fit in dual screen setup with quite a bit of help from folk with suggestions and a bit of re working of the room but got there !  likely be some compromises but which room doesnt have any ! :)

5 minutes ago, raff said:

Room is 4830 wide and 4190 deep not including recess (recess 500 deep).

its a good workable space I think. one question... why do you need the recess? one looks like a return air duct... ? but that could easily be moved still as a pillar to one side of the room ? do you need two doors in the room ? these kind off things will possibly remove some restrictions ? ie give you a more conventional space to work with :)

does it need the bulk head ? I know HT rooms dedicated look good with them but in this case will lower ceiling and make look  smaller ? 

8 minutes ago, raff said:

Not being a big room, couch will be against back wall so head sitting approx 3.9m from front of recess.

id try resist the back against the wall. not only for acoustics... but also to make best of screen end up going for. even so 3.5m from front of recess will make 100" same as 110" as I mentioned at 3.9 :) I have two kids and with back of couch 3.3m from screen viewing distance 2.8m there is still heaps of room in front for kids to play as they growing up :) 

12 minutes ago, raff said:

A 100’ screen top case is at least 2600  so will have to mount in front. Considered tapping into cavity either side of recess but being brick, not easy to do.

I would either to the front of recess or off the ceiling... will be just fine :)

13 minutes ago, raff said:

Speakers will have to be within recess to keep them away from the kids and limited space elsewhere. Wall mounted Krix Tryptix along side the wall mounted 65 

I dont think you HAVE to have speakers within the recess... I would see if can get rid of the recess... but if still have it I think the screen would fit down and if worried about floor standers in front ... you could wall mount krix speakers even on the pillars along side screen ?   :)  centre speaker you could have on a console under the screen where it drops down.  

Posted (edited)

Ignore the mighty 42 LCD and the toy mess! . Custom built in cabinetry and new TV to come! 

CCD1-FD52-EC58-4-CD1-B5-EC-084-BEFB051-C
26-B147-ED-0282-40-C2-8-D92-060-C6-FF73-

Edited by raff

6 minutes ago, raff said:

Ignore the mighty 42 LCD and the toy mess! . Custom built in cabinetry to come! 

ah i see... ok I didnt realise we are built already, somehow seeing the plans through we are at build stage... remove all the business I said about bulk head and removing the recess and all :D

looks like seating also in place ... though id still explore the thought of moving forward :)

and wont look out of place ... can put a lamp behind  in one corner table or something else in other and such ...

I definitely looking at the pics think can consider wall mounted fronts.... centre channel on the console in the recess. id still wall mount the TV ... just to get it off the console :)

could attach the screen to bulk head or even consider it going inside the bulk head... if its hollow and nothing in there. though cutting in the paster is going to be messy ! :D  but both screen techniques and lp morgan both makes screens to hide away. 

here's the screen technics for instance  (these are locally made, and they will do what ever you want)

https://screentechnics.com.au/products/projection-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-premium-motorised-screen#features

looking at their resources.... for A size upto 100" you are looking at NPA of 2214 + 120 or overall wide of the screen of 2334mm

should allow space either side for wall mount speakers on the pillars ? 

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ah i see... ok I didnt realise we are built already, somehow seeing the plans through we are at build stage... remove all the business I said about bulk head and removing the recess and all :D

looks like seating also in place ... though id still explore the thought of moving forward :)

and wont look out of place ... can put a lamp behind  in one corner table or something else in other and such ...

I definitely looking at the pics think can consider wall mounted fronts.... centre channel on the console in the recess. id still wall mount the TV ... just to get it off the console :)

could attach the screen to bulk head or even consider it going inside the bulk head... if its hollow and nothing in there. though cutting in the paster is going to be messy ! :D  but both screen techniques and lp morgan both makes screens to hide away. 

Owner built, know every nook and cranny! Bulk head is empty but furring channels are front to back so would have to take down part ceiling to redo or may build an additional small 150x150 bulkhead to house screen. 

When I designed the house, the recess was to house a fixed 100' screen with 3 decent speakers behind. Now I know the damage a 3yo can do, i have changed course! 

I have considered wall mounting speakers on the pillars (both empty btw) but wifey is not happy with aesthetics as they are right there as you walk in door. I may position them in situ and see how they look again or buy a slimmer white wall mount speaker?? Better sound stage too. Light switches are a pain though!

Couch is just a temp cheapie for now, happy to pull it off the wall- probably easier to get the toys out behind it!

Thanks for you time to reply. Definitely gives me some things to play with, my wifes eye glaze over when i try discuss options!!