Home Theatre becoming very expensive to keep up with HDMI revisions...

HDMI 2.0 (4k) has been with us for less than five years before it was updated with with HDMI 2.0a (HDR)and now HDMI 2.1 (8k).

I have an old Onkyo 875 which has HDMI 1.3a (not 3D compliant) which I" cheated" 3D by using a blu-ray play that had two HDMI outs - one directly to the TV and one to audio in the amp. I think you can do this to get 4K working with my HDMI 1.3a Onkyo Amp - plug the blu-ray player via HDMI directly to the TV and another HDMI to the receiver. What are the detriments to this?

Now, I am thinking that if I upgrade soon to a HDMI 2.0a or 2.1 amp, I should get seperates - pre/pro and a power amp. This way, when I needed to upgrade, I would just get a new pre/pro and just use the same power amp. In theory, this should keep costs down.

Then I looked at the Anthem AVM-60 pre/pro which is RRP$4995 and the equivalent receiver is the Anthem MRX-1120 which is RRP$4999. It's not cheaper to get separates and just upgrade the pre/pro.

What are your thoughts on this? Have I looked at the wrong expensive brand? What would you do to keep upgrade costs  down?

I think to some extent the modular platforms such as those found on the NADs and Emotivas help with emerging standards and future compatibility.

I think separates are still way the way to go if you are invested in the least interference, more power etc. for the dedicated and the invested where $$$ is less of an objective than quality, purity, etc. Of course you also need the space to park those boxes so there is an element of what is suitable to you. I'd love to own separates but owing to other constraints such (space, for example) I have a one box solution.

The constant changing of HDMI and video standards devalues AVRs and pre-pros faster than they should compared with stereo integrateds and pre amps. I have thus avoided paying top dollars for high end models and instead gone mid tier.

Yes, HT can become expensive.

2 hours ago, Serpeant said:

Then I looked at the Anthem AVM-60 pre/pro which is RRP$4995 and the equivalent receiver is the Anthem MRX-1120 which is RRP$4999. It's not cheaper to get separates and just upgrade the pre/pro.

It is not like for like. AVM-60 has better analogue stages for stereo, quieter circuitry. And if you have the space, external power amps are far better than the MRX-1120. Plus you are unlikely to replace the power amps.

3 hours ago, Serpeant said:

HDMI 2.0 (4k) has been with us for less than five years before it was updated with with HDMI 2.0a (HDR)and now HDMI 2.1 (8k).

I have an old Onkyo 875 which has HDMI 1.3a (not 3D compliant) which I" cheated" 3D by using a blu-ray play that had two HDMI outs - one directly to the TV and one to audio in the amp. I think you can do this to get 4K working with my HDMI 1.3a Onkyo Amp - plug the blu-ray player via HDMI directly to the TV and another HDMI to the receiver. What are the detriments to this?

Now, I am thinking that if I upgrade soon to a HDMI 2.0a or 2.1 amp, I should get seperates - pre/pro and a power amp. This way, when I needed to upgrade, I would just get a new pre/pro and just use the same power amp. In theory, this should keep costs down.

What are your thoughts on this? Have I looked at the wrong expensive brand? What would you do to keep upgrade costs  down?

@Serpeant for someone who has negotiated the HDMI jungle from the very early days with all sorts of work arounds, and then every subsequent version.

and yes I did 3D work around myself. and yes also the 4k work around..... and then work around within work arounds too :D to fool/fix some of the things we have in place. 

the detriments of the using dual HDMI out.... is simple... and this applies to 3D just as much as 4k uhd... ie you end up splitting the audio streams processing from the video streams processing... ie video by the display and audio via audio processor. and what you open yourself upto is issues with audio and video being out of synch, at times it will be small enough not to notice ... others long enough it becomes a bother. and I know there are lip synch delays can put in place however these are not dynamic ie they don't self adjust depending on processing load. os not quite effective enough.

when you use one hdmi stream from source to processor to display what happens is its the actually audio stream that keeps everything in synch... no lip synch issues.  

re versions of HDMI there have been quite a few. some I feel are essential others not so. eg those who bought things not hdmi 2.0 even though claims were made of 4k soon found them selves caught out with hdcp. yes there are work arounds eg strippers and such but they can also introduce their own hurdles. most makers worth salt provided updates from hdmi 2.0 to 2.0a 2.0b not worth talking about it was just a firmware update in most cases.

hdmi 2.1... is a non essential in my beleif. at it is really talking about hdmi e-arc...who cares.... we have mostly all worked around hdmi audio returns which are a nuisance and hinderance more than anything. then there are dynamic frame rates... which will only apply to gaming. nothing else. also there is nothing that supports it in display land in TVs and projectors. may never be. we live in a world of fixed frame rates for content and displays and likely what will stick with.

so ... buy and buy with confidence id suggest anything current gen hdmi hdmi 2.0 a/b and will be fine. and you will be fine with anything in last 3 or so years even back.

as to 

3 hours ago, Serpeant said:

re separates vs AVR solution this is a separate question. though some what related...

this is approach i have taken in last 10+ years .... and its paid off. amps stay and processors come and go. though keep in mind the good makers eg denon and marantz have made sure eg with my denon processor that 8 years on in owners ship they were still providing updates both hard ware and soft ware. and I know my denon which would be now 12 years old is still out there doing its thing. my marantz processor though 4 years old ! yes amazingly now 4 years on ...still does everything thrown at it cutting edge in 4kuhd all the latest sound formats and such and supported in hardware and software updates in all that time ! how many makers do this ? i can easily see this supporting things next few years might even get to 8 years with it like did with the denon.

in scheme of things ... it seems it major format releases that drive OEM major updates... think DVD, blu-ray.  3D video, 3D audio, uhd blu-ray. we seem pretty settled now on the audio video fronts. theres nothing else really on radar can see..... so sit back enjoy.... let the years go by :) 

56 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The constant changing of HDMI and video standards devalues AVRs and pre-pros faster than they should compared with stereo integrateds and pre amps. I have thus avoided paying top dollars for high end models and instead gone mid tier.

Yes, HT can become expensive.

it can. I saved I dont know how many AVR updates in the 8 years owned my denon aVP and have not had to do one update change out on the processing side last 4 years and still fully capable in the tech front . so while can be expensive you can also be at a point with processing that you do not need to keep changing things out every couple of years....

56 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

It is not like for like. AVM-60 has better analogue stages for stereo, quieter circuitry. And if you have the space, external power amps are far better than the MRX-1120. Plus you are unlikely to replace the power amps.

the anthem AVRs power stages are not greatly specd. most AVRs are not. even in form factor you couldnt fit the kind of room a stand alone multi channel power amp needs inside an avr sop huge compromises are made. power amps can go decades ....

an avr can be a cost effective one box route, but you compromise the amp side and also will have to churn the whole lot out when comes to upgrade time. there are SO many affordable amp options these days..... both new and 2nd hand. 

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

That is a great idea. Go mid tier models rather than high end. I'd rather have the latest mid tier than obselete old high ends.

Are there any mid tier brands that you might recommend. I could justify Anthem, but not if it gets outdated within 5 years time.

I could get a good power amp to last for a long time and mid tier pre/pro every five years.

Edited by Serpeant

23 minutes ago, Serpeant said:

That is a great idea. Go mid tier models rather than high end. I'd rather have the latest mid tier than obselete old high ends.

Are there any mid tier brands that you might recommend. I could justify Anthem, but not if it gets outdated within 5 years time.

I could get a good power amp to last for a long time and mid tier pre/pro every five years.

id rather suggest mid tier AV processor with amp than mid tier AVR :) the thing with processors even if you went with something 3 years old right now (eg what have ) you are not missing out....  amps you can get anything from 3-5+ years it doesnt matter...and any thoughts of depreciation already been carved. 

plenty of great options 2nd hand. I wouldnt ignore those.... 

1 hour ago, Serpeant said:

Am using a NAD T758V3...

16 hours ago, Satanica said:

I have kept cost down going from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 with a HDMI Switcher/Matrix but I know it's probably not for everyone.

As I wasn't into atmos at the time this was a good option for my old UMC200 as I needed a 2nd hdmi out but still a good strategy for UHD if you don't want atmos/dts-x decoding immediately :) And a viable option with a T758v3's sparse 3 hdmi ins if you do ..

Serpeant ; if you want to be future proofed for hdmi2.1 [ though depends on whether your a gamer or want E-ARC for example and better cec compatibility] and want the very latest  chipsets and don't mind paying for a true pre pro some other options are coming ..

These may seem exxy but compared to the likes of a datasat or trinnov  you wont get better value for a complete 15.1.6 atmos setup -unless you have an Emo 40% card or something :whistle:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37887

https://www.cepro.com/article/16_channel_acurus_muse_processor_dolby_atmos_dtsx?eid=438814252&bid=2369482

• Like 1

If you don't want the diminishing returns of AV products than don't buy into it, unless you got to have the latest and greatest.

Going for a mid tier level AV product to save money at resale is just a half ass solution. Even a budget stereo setup will be miles better than a mid tier AV product.

I have abandoned AV gear for the same reason as you, depreciation of AV gear, and for the reason that it hardly ever performs at the same level as a good stereo setup, unless you have to money.

What I am using is a Media PC, with graphic cards that are cheap to upgrade, unless you are into gaming. I use a high quality pro audio DAC, (priced at a mid tier Pre Pro but keeps it value a lot better), no pre amplifier, and a multitude of stereo power amps.

Sound quality is as good as a (very) good stereo setup, new HDMI specs or 8k video card upgrades are usually cheap, PC powered DSP and room correction, and if I need more channels, I can upgrade the DAC by adding another 8 channels. Each audio product keeps a strong resale value

Downside, it's not workable for the whole family and no Atmos or DTS-X decoding possible on a PC yet.

It's a bit of a learning curve but the results are rewarding.

Forget about upgrade components for AV gear. Those platforms also have a rather limited lifespan. And each upgrade easily costs a third of the price of your AV product.

• Like 2

Guest Peter the Greek

@Primare Knob this is most interesting. For us simpletons, would you mind outlining exactly what you're using?

PC into Dac into Amps?

What software? [soundcard]? how is the PC connected to the DAC? and what's the DAC?

[mention=144775]Primare Knob[/mention] 

PC into Dac into Amps?

Yes. I have compared this with a high quality stereo pre amplifier, and could not find a difference. This doesn't always work with every DAC, so try it before buy/selling it, as it depends on the synergy between DAC and Amp.

What software? [soundcard]? how is the PC connected to the DAC? and what's the DAC?

Software can be any media player, but I use JRiver as it has an advanced DSP software. You could also use Dirac, but that is expensive for a multichannel setup, or other alternatives.

Soundcard is a Pro Audio DAC. It can be any multichannel DAC, but there is more choice in the pro audio world then there is in the hifi world.

Connection can be anything. Mine works via USB, but there is also Dante, Thunderbolt, AES, and others. It all depends on the configuration you choose. Pro audio gear is highly flexible.

Volume control is digital via JRiver, and you need to take bits into account here. If your speakers are efficient and amps powerful, it is possible to degrade the audio by to much digital attenuation, DSP included.

My DAC can be switched between consumer -10dBV and pro audio +4dBUv (high gain) output signals.

The thing that makes this hard to work with for the family, is to double check volume control before turning anything on, as there is no volume attenuation between DAC and amplifiers. And the sequence in which you turn gear on or off can also introduce nasty pops, that scare the crap out of people. Working with a PC isn't as 100% reliable or straight forward as with other gear. Sometimes things just don't work for a reason, but I haven't had to many issues in that regard.

13 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

If you don't want the diminishing returns of AV products than don't buy into it, unless you got to have the latest and greatest.

Going for a mid tier level AV product to save money at resale is just a half ass solution. Even a budget stereo setup will be miles better than a mid tier AV product.

I have abandoned AV gear for the same reason as you, depreciation of AV gear, and for the reason that it hardly ever performs at the same level as a good stereo setup, unless you have to money.

What I am using is a Media PC, with graphic cards that are cheap to upgrade, unless you are into gaming. I use a high quality pro audio DAC, (priced at a mid tier Pre Pro but keeps it value a lot better), no pre amplifier, and a multitude of stereo power amps.

Sound quality is as good as a (very) good stereo setup, new HDMI specs or 8k video card upgrades are usually cheap, PC powered DSP and room correction, and if I need more channels, I can upgrade the DAC by adding another 8 channels. Each audio product keeps a strong resale value

Downside, it's not workable for the whole family and no Atmos or DTS-X decoding possible on a PC yet.

It's a bit of a learning curve but the results are rewarding.

Forget about upgrade components for AV gear. Those platforms also have a rather limited lifespan. And each upgrade easily costs a third of the price of your AV product.

This is pretty much me too and my HDMI  1.4 to 2.0 Programmable Martrix upgrade was a mere $400.

1 hour ago, Primare Knob said:

The thing that makes this hard to work with for the family, is to double check volume control before turning anything on, as there is no volume attenuation between DAC and amplifiers. And the sequence in which you turn gear on or off can also introduce nasty pops, that scare the crap out of people. Working with a PC isn't as 100% reliable or straight forward as with other gear. Sometimes things just don't work for a reason, but I haven't had to many issues in that regard.

That’s the problem ... in 8 years owned my last av pre pro plus 4 years the current, shudder to think how many computers went through in that time... one retired... one was pensioned and one new. And these not even htpcs just base computers. How many updates have  the computers  had in that time ? Not sure week goes by with something or other updating :D av pre pros certainly had updates to. But far less frequent and stable.

as you say the av pre pros just seem to work .. my daughter age ten grown up through 2 av pre pros ... seamless to her. Still universal interface behind don’t have to bother whet behind it :) we live in a remarkable age where kids from toddler age can operate and navigate through a complex system :) .. child’s play ...indeed !

That’s the problem ... in 8 years owned my last av pre pro plus 4 years the current, shudder to think how many computers went through in that time... one retired... one was pensioned and one new. And these not even htpcs just base computers. How many updates have  the computers  had in that time ? Not sure week goes by with something or other updating [emoji3] av pre pros certainly had updates to. But far less frequent and stable.

as you say the av pre pros just seem to work .. my daughter age ten grown up through 2 av pre pros ... seamless to her. Still universal interface behind don’t have to bother whet behind it [emoji4] we live in a remarkable age where kids from toddler age can operate and navigate through a complex system [emoji4] .. child’s play ...indeed !
We are getting a bit off topic here, but updates and upgrades are 2 different things. You really don't need a fancy PC for a HTPC setup, as even the ones that are 10 year old will perform this task. Besides you can prevent your OS from updating, as the risk with a HTPC are rather slim.

The difficulty is not with the user interface, as that is controlled via a Phone/app, and my 5 year old has no problem with it. It is more about you kind of have to know what you are doing to prevent issues.

The old Pre Pro had to be a Swiss Army knife, but these days with everything happening online, it could do with a diet of obsolete inputs for most people. You can still use a Pre Pro in my setup as a Pre Amplifier to make life easy, and an old High End unit can be found for cheap.

But to get back on topic, for the past couple of years I don't think that there has been a AV manufacturer that hasn't had a problem with faulty HDMI related issues.
My personal opinion is that HDMI is a nice idea to deal with cables, but isn't great for audio. I am looking forward to the day that that is being replaced with Ethernet.

Just saying that if you want to, you can replace your AV setup with non AV gear, and keep getting up with the times, a fair bit cheaper.

2 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

The thing that makes this hard to work with for the family, is to double check volume control before turning anything on, as there is no volume attenuation between DAC and amplifiers. And the sequence in which you turn gear on or off can also introduce nasty pops, that scare the crap out of people.

I don't have these issues. In fact JRiver's features such as Startup Volume per zone and Volume Protection make it far more safe than any hardware I've come across.

Edited by Satanica

I don't have these issues. In fact JRiver's features such as Startup Volume per zone and Volume Protection make it far more safe than any hardware I've come across.
I am more talking about the fact that there is no volume control between DAC and Amp. When I turn on the DAC after turning on the Amp it will be accompanied with a loud pop as the DAC output becomes live which the Amp picks up. The more powerful the Amp or Subwoofer, the louder the pop.

I haven't really had any volume related issues with JRiver, but you don't want them to happen either, and turning on the PC before turning on anything else helps to prevent that. Just as a fail safe.

23 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

We are getting a bit off topic here, but updates and upgrades are 2 different things. You really don't need a fancy PC for a HTPC setup, as even the ones that are 10 year old will perform this task. Besides you can prevent your OS from updating, as the risk with a HTPC are rather slim.

absolutely impossible. 10 years ago PCs had no support for audio formats let alone Picture formats we have now. as you say you still dont have support for the audio side.

as far as stopping OS updating that won't work for very long. know that from pers experience.

The difficulty is not with the user interface, as that is controlled via a Phone/app, and my 5 year old has no problem with it. It is more about you kind of have to know what you are doing to prevent issues.

but thats the thing... one just doesnt have issues :)

The old Pre Pro had to be a Swiss Army knife, but these days with everything happening online, it could do with a diet of obsolete inputs for most people. You can still use a Pre Pro in my setup as a Pre Amplifier to make life easy, and an old High End unit can be found for cheap.

not sure what the point here is. you very much do need upto date pre pros. these are kept to date for most makers but no Old as in how old dont now what vintage you are talking but my "old now would be 10 years old av pre pro I changed over 4 years ago from wont do...without a lot of work arounds which are not really practicable and certainly it had no capability of current day audio which lets face it is even presented to us via online sources :) updates and upgrades are still needed. and most makers provide this to you with hard ware and soft ware updates. 

My personal opinion is that HDMI is a nice idea to deal with cables, but isn't great for audio. I am looking forward to the day that that is being replaced with Ethernet.

Just saying that if you want to, you can replace your AV setup with non AV gear, and keep getting up with the times, a fair bit cheaper.

i have had absolutely no problems with hdmi audio. I dont know what problem you have with it. :)

by all means replace AV with non aV but on same account it might not provide the AV someone might be looking for. ofcourse we have all our own needs and this might perfectly suit yours which is fine :)

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

absolutely impossible. 10 years ago PCs had no support for audio formats let alone Picture formats we have now. as you say you still dont have support for the audio side.

Audio formats are not an issue... as these are all supported in software - so modern software running on a 10yo computer will handle all today audio just fine.

The issue is hardware accelerated video.   10yo computer hardware doesn't have acceleration of H265 so, while it will be able to understand the video format (software tells it this) - the playback performance will be too low.

as far as stopping OS updating that won't work for very long. know that from pers experience.

To get it to be permanent - you need to edit setting which aren't exposed through the GUI.    But updates=off isn't recommended.

HDMI is a nice idea to deal with cables, but isn't great for audio. I am looking forward to the day that that is being replaced with Ethernet.

i have had absolutely no problems with hdmi audio. I dont know what problem you have with it.

Audio over HDMI typically doesn't perform as well as other types of digital interfaces...   Although there's no intrinsic reason why audio over the ethernet protocol would perform any better/worse - just depends on how much effort they put into the devices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Audio formats are not an issue... as these are all supported in software - so modern software running on a 10yo computer will handle all today audio just fine.

really now ? pray tell how a 10 year old pc has ANY capability for 11.2.5 audio I am running off current AV processor. We didnt even have that let alone know it would eventuate all those years ago. point me to a 10 year old pc with 11.2.5 analog pre outs.... post me a pc from 10 years ago with such 1.2.5 pre outputs to feed power amps :D 

as far as software support for 10 year old pcs thats clutching how do I know. I happen to have one...

if you are talking about still using a 2008 pc living in 2008 world. my dad does that with his 2008 denon 3808. and has not had to do one update to the thing. the thing still works. it wont even support 3D video let alone 3D audio or latest audio let alone video formats just as a pc from 2008 wont either..

tech moves on... cant hold back pace of progress, most realise and move on as well or keep using content within  whatever capabilities or limitations might have.

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Audio over HDMI typically doesn't perform as well as other types of digital interfaces...   Although there's no intrinsic reason why audio over the ethernet protocol would perform any better/worse - just depends on how much effort they put into the devices.

Really ? THE best audio AV we have RIGHT now is over hdmi. forget-about-it for any other digital interfaces. go and do av audio over ethernet or "other types of digital interfaces" but be  having a lend of yourself. :) 

23 minutes ago, betty boop said:

really now?

Yes.

pray tell how a 10 year old pc has ANY capability for 11.2.5 audio I am running off current AV processor.

Let's get something out of the way first.    There is no way to decode Dolby Atmos audio in a computer, and send it to a multichannel audio device.    Dolby has offered no way to do this.   The only way to decode Dolby Atmos multichannel audio is through the firmware in an AV processor.

Of course, as there is no way to do this with a PC today, then there was obviously no way to do it 10 years ago.

Otherwise - Any computer with an HDMI 1.3 output can pass Dolby Atmos audio to an AV processor.

That's been possible since 2006, although Windows operating systems (PAP) didn't catch up to this until 2009.    ie. any computer from ~10 years (with a HDMI port) can do this.

We didnt even have that let alone know it would eventuate all those years ago

That's right.   Atmos needs hardware/software support in the source device which has been around 13 years.   (Specifically Dolby TrueHD support)

point me to a 10 year old pc with 11.2.5 analog pre outs.... come on show me

... post me a pc from 10 years ago with such 1.2.5 pre outputs to feed power amps. 

Notwithstanding the fact that you can't use the analogue outputs for Dolby Atmos .... 

My choice was the TC Konnekt48 ... which is a PC audio device with 12 analogue outputs.    You can daisy chain many of them together though to get as many audio channels as desired.

Of the top of my head you could also had used a Lynx Aurora (16 channel), with a PCI card.....  otherwise, I'd have to get my 2009 catalogues out to check.

as far as software support for 10 year old pcs thats clutching how do I know. I happen to have one...

I'm not clutching at anything.

A 10 year old PC is able to run a recent version of Windows .... and run the latest software (eg. VLC, Plex, Kodi) which knows how to decode all the audio formats you can name  (except Dolby Atmos - because no computer can).

Perhaps your PC has problems .... but that just means you have a crap PC, or are doing it wrong.

if you are talking about still using a 2008 pc living in 2008 world

No.   I mean exactly what I said.   A 10 year old PC (compared to a PC purchased today) has ZERO issues with today's audio formats .   ZERO ...... Yet you say words like "impossible" and "no support"....  You may as well be saying "up is down".

just as a pc from 2008 wont either..

No.   A PC runs software which is updated regularly so the computer can understand new audio formats.

Heaps of people don't know this stuff - that's fine ..... but can you do those people a favour by stopping pretending that you do.

tech moves on... cant hold back pace of progress, most realise and move on as well or keep using content within whatever capabilities or limitations might have.

Or .. If they use a computer .... the software gets updated so the old computer can play the new formats.

We could try this in the opposite way.   Tell us an audio format which exists today .... that cannot be played on a PC from 10 years ago.    Just name one?!    We'll wait.

Really ? THE best audio AV we have RIGHT now is over hdmi.

Yes.  So?   How does that diminish the validity of what I said?

What I said still stands.   The way HDMI audio is designed, is that it's almost always implemented in a way which is less than ideal, compared to other ways to transport audio.     In short it is to do with how the audio clock is treated..

go and do av audio over ethernet or "other types of digital interfaces" if want to have a lend of yourself. 

I didn't really suggest he should.

.... but he could....  and he could do it with a 10 year old PC as the player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

or keep using content within  whatever capabilities or limitations might have

Yes, exactly.   A 10 year old computer doesn't have any limitations in what audio formats it can play..... so you can use all content.

Except Atmos, as mentioned.  Although - everyone knows that no computer* can decode it

*  No computer except Trinnov.    Trinnov AV processors are actually PCs inside .... and they have been provided exclusive Atmos decoder firmware for the PC from Dolby.

• Like 1