Need information good place to buy Vinyl in Sidney and Brisbane ?

In addition to those mentioned above in Brisbane:

• Sonic Sherpa in Stones Corner. Pretty good mix of new and used vinyl, and a good local section.
  • Rockinghorse Records in Queen St Mall. A Brisbane institution, lots of good stuff to be found here.
  • Record Exchange in Adelaide St. More second hand vinyl here than you can shake a stick at.
  • Relove Oxley in Oxley. Antique and vintage shop with a good selection of vinyl upstairs
  • Phase 4 Records & Cassettes in Fortitude Valley. Small but good selection of new and used vinyl.

In Sydney, due to high rent, I don’t think we have as many record shops as Melbourne.  So I buy online mostly or record fairs. 

The following are ones that i have not bought from purely because I don’t listen/buy rock, pop, metal, punk, reggae, hip hop... at least not on vinyl, but I think they are popular store and stock mainstream records:

Utopia Records

The Record Store

Red Eye Records

Beatdisc Records

The following are ones that I have bought from:

Birdland Records - Jazz only. New and used. Small section of records including audiophile 45rpm sets and the like, but much larger CD/SACD jazz collection. Can ask them to order in items from overseas (US/Japan). Small niche shop and helpful and knowledgeable staff. Nice vibe. 

Repressed Records - punk, indie mainly. New and used. Don’t expect friendly staff or service, just grab what you want and go.  

Something Else Records - electronic, house, techno mainly new. Little shop but niche, non-mainstream which I like. 

The following I have only bought used records from:

The Vintage Record - Small shop has a range of genre, good collection if you like old stuff. I like that staff leave me alone so I can sit on a stool and get my hands dirty looking at those dusty cheaper records under the shelves. Gives some discount when buy multiples. Staff/owner are knowledgeable.

Halcyon Daze Records - Small collection of random records of any genre. Soul, jazz, rock, etc. Owner/shop keeper is friendly and record lover, never in a rush and will vacuum clean every one of your purchase and put them in new sleeve for you all included in the price. 

Egg Records - Rock mainly and some jazz. Staff at counter are polite even when I only buy the cheapest used records.

Cottonmouth Records - Jazz, soul and other genres too. Only bought there once, since they opened not so long ago. Owner is friendly. 

RPM - mainstream rock, indie, pop.  Only bought there once. 

Edited by att23
  • Like 1

Record Exchange in Brisbane is severely overpriced. I went there back in Jan this year and I could not believe the prices he was asking for used records.

There is one near Fortitude Valley but I can’t remember the name.

If you are in the Parramatta area in Sydney, visit Beatdisc Records.

In Sydney I buy my vinyl from Beatdisc records. While they carry many genres, punk is a speciality as well as Australian punk / post punk era. Their second hand stock is regularly refreshed through purchased collections. The owners are easy to communicate with and I have ordered obscure pressings via Facebook Messenger at all hours and they are highly responsive. Their prices are also reasonable.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, liemjerry said:

my favourite and the only one I ike just jazz, so maybe the match one only Birdland Records?

Many thanks for all suggestion

Yeah, for brick and mortar store, hardly any choices. Definitely Birdland for jazz.  If you buy used jazz records, also visit The Vintage Record.

22 hours ago, Souwalker said:

Record Exchange in Brisbane is severely overpriced.

Sadly this is true.  I've been going there close to 25 years but lately he's just gone crazy with pricing.

Rocking Horse Records in the City has a good selection especially since they merged with Egg Records from West End.

Rockaway at Carindale Shopping Centre has some great second hand selections as well.

16 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

Sadly this is true.  I've been going there close to 25 years but lately he's just gone crazy with pricing.

Rocking Horse Records in the City has a good selection especially since they merged with Egg Records from West End.

Rockaway at Carindale Shopping Centre has some great second hand selections as well.

So Record Exchange are pricier than Rockaway would you say?

Also wanted to mention  Audio Tailor on Old Cleveland Rd have a fair bit of secondhand.

On 19/05/2019 at 11:26 AM, att23 said:

Yeah, for brick and mortar store, hardly any choices. Definitely Birdland for jazz.  If you buy used jazz records, also visit The Vintage Record.

many thanks, I'll visit Birdland and Vintage Record

both located in Brisbane?

2 minutes ago, att23 said:

Both Sydney. 

ok noted..I'll visit. For price and pressing..

Pressing : many of Australian Record store sell UK/USA Press or there's also available Japan pressing?

Price : How about comparin if we buying online or in Japan, maybe?

1 minute ago, liemjerry said:

ok noted..I'll visit. For price and pressing..

Pressing : many of Australian Record store sell UK/USA Press or there's also available Japan pressing?

Price : How about comparin if we buying online or in Japan, maybe?

In Australia, there’s all sorts.  It’s up to the buyer to check the back cover or label before deciding if that’s the pressing or country they wanna buy. Most sellers or shops are honest and fair in their pricing to reflect pressing or country of origin...

To give you an idea, for example: Brand new jazz records at $35 or so are usually cheap European reissues (Waxtime, DOL), sometimes these cheaper ones are worthwhile, like certain Verve or Blue Note reissues.  The new jazz records at $90+ are generally 180g reissues from the likes of Analogue Production or MSFL. Occasionally there could be new Jap import, may have obi strips, and will be priced accordingly (high side). 

Used records can be anything pending on condition, pressing, rarity, country of origin, etc. 

Don’t get your hopes up too high. Personally I don’t find Sydney to be that great for record shopping.... but some of my overseas friends (e.g. from Hong Kong) thinks it’s great compared to what they have back at home.