Sign in to follow this  
BATMAQN

2 pin polarity

3 minutes ago, A9X said:

Won't make a difference in this case; it's going to a transformer than a small single phase AC motor.

I agree.  That's why I said it's not something that should make any real difference in most instances.  I didn't want to delve into the edge cases where people claim to hear subtle differences.  Even if it were feeding sensitive electronics, a well designed power supply will make the point moot.

10 hours ago, andyr said:

the sound is different depending on how the power transformer primary is connected to mains active & neutral.

And in 20+ years, I've yet to see empirical evidence of this from a reputable source. This is after all a TT driving a small AC motor. Please explain exactly why " it does make a difference, av - in all instances".

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I agree.  That's why I said it's not something that should make any real difference in most instances.  I didn't want to delve into the edge cases where people claim to hear subtle differences.  Even if it were feeding sensitive electronics, a well designed power supply will make the point moot.

Cheers, and I agree.

10 hours ago, andyr said:

So others also believe in it. 

Others also believe in homeopathy, cryptozoology, astrology, psychic healers and all sorts of other rubbish. Doesn't make it true.

11 hours ago, andyr said:

Not just my opinion, av - the first article about mains polarity appeared over 20 years ago.  So others also believe in it.  :)

It's pretty simple to try it out, actually.  But please don't ask me tell you how to do it - you need to figure it out, yourself.

Andy

Andy,

im yet to be convinced.....

why?  

Most gear will require a step down transformer where the mains connect to the primary tap.  The secondary step down winding is always connected to a full wave bridge rectifier that’s followed by filter caps.  Because of the full wave bridge your electronics doesn’t care how you connect that primary winding,  therefore have no effect on the performance technically or subjectively.

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

Most gear will require a step down transformer where the mains connect to the primary tap.  The secondary step down winding is always connected to a full wave bridge rectifier that’s followed by filter caps. 

Then there's the regulator circuitry, and further filtering at the regulator, then there's the interstage filtering.

3 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Because of the full wave bridge your electronics doesn’t care how you connect that primary winding,

Then there's the different ways of constructing a transformer and how the primary and secondaries may be layered or separated.

Just now, aussievintage said:

Then there's the different ways of constructing a transformer and how the primary and secondaries may be layered or separated.

and then there's techniques like in my phono preamps that use back to back transformers to step up the voltage for the valves.

Guys thanks very much for all your reply’s my questions have been answered so I’ll dip out of the conversation now but if you want to discuss anything further that’s up to you. 

Cheers

Seb

Just now, BATMAQN said:

Guys thanks very much for all your reply’s my questions have been answered so I’ll dip out of the conversation now but if you want to discuss anything further that’s up to you. 

Cheers

Seb

Sorry for the side track.  :blush:

Just now, aussievintage said:

Sorry for the side track.  :blush:

All good AV, happens occasionally got some answers I’m happy thanks. 

To be honest if this thread survives I think others in the future searching for similar info will benefit gotta love the internet. 

2 hours ago, A9X said:

Because it's connected to a transformer which means it's connected to a galvanically isolated device that doesn't care about polarity; it's an AC signal.

And you'd be 100% wrong. The A and N terminals are the same size, and looking as you describe, it's the Active on the left. Note the pic. I'm also electrically qualified.

I know you're trying to help in good faith but I gather from your comments and location that you're in the US, please don't comment on Australian wiring as we have a national standard code that is very different from that in the US. Your advice could be very dangerous.

Australian_Socket-Outlet.jpg

By the way @A9X pretty sure @Decky does know a thing or two about electronics he used to live in Australia before as well, I would guess he probably didn’t look at the photo too closely when referring to the bigger prong. 

Not trying to start an argument here just pointing it out. 

@BATMAQN yes, Decky is an expat :thumb:

Also people are human, and to err is human... as they say :wub:

15 hours ago, MikeAu said:

Can you post a photo of the electrical information which will be on the back of the chassis. This should provide information about the grounding in use.

@BATMAQN

look on the back for electrical details of the device, you’ll probably find that there will be a symbol indicating it to be classed for double insulated. 

Heres a pic of a current Apple power brick with the associated classification.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

22E29FC8-96B9-4B53-8E3C-F0A2CCC24649.jpeg

FF157D58-D425-4CD5-B256-C33B73D4C5E0.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@BATMAQN

look on the back for electrical details of the device, you’ll probably find that there will be a symbol indicating it to be classed for double insulated. 

Heres a pic of a current Apple power brick with the associated classification.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

22E29FC8-96B9-4B53-8E3C-F0A2CCC24649.jpeg

FF157D58-D425-4CD5-B256-C33B73D4C5E0.jpeg

Cool I will thanks mate. 

6 hours ago, A9X said:

I know you're trying to help in good faith but I gather from your comments and location that you're in the US, please don't comment on Australian wiring as we have a national standard code that is very different from that in the US. Your advice could be very dangerous.

Australian_Socket-Outlet.jpg

I think @Decky was referring to the U.S. plug and socket.

Nema-5-15-Mains-Plug-Wiring-300px.gif