Sign in to follow this  
nkoulban

Reloop Turn5

The Reloop Turn5 is now available in Australia.  This looks like a very good turntable at a very reasonable price.  kitted out with high quality interconnects, a platter mat like a Achromat and a Jelco headshell this could prove to be an as good but way cheaper Technics alternative.  Curious to see if anyone has had any experience with one?

https://djcity.com.au/product/reloop-turn5-direct-drive-hifi-turntable/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjaPsyu2f4gIVSoqPCh3Y4g0gEAAYASAAEgIeYfD_BwE

I'd wait sl1200 mk7 which is for sale June/July us price is $999 street price which is lower than the announcement early this year

Is it wrong to think that a brand that makes really cheap stuff is never going to be as good, even at their expensive end, as other similarly priced tables from brands that only make good ones at a similar price.

11 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Is it wrong to think that a brand that makes really cheap stuff is never going to be as good, even at their expensive end, as other similarly priced tables from brands that only make good ones at a similar price.

Thats a common perception that usually means they dont hold resale value, also the improvements seem mostly cosmetic rather than anything that will actually have a significant difference. A DD is only as good as its motor and bearing.

2 minutes ago, awty said:

A DD is only as good as its motor and bearing.

Very true.  The Technics DD (SL-150 in my case) was the first I was happy with, having tried other brands back in the 70s and 80s.  

It does look very Technicsey.

What is the difference between Turn5 and RP7000 mk2? They both look identical in terms of tonearm and motor etc. Only difference is actually less feature on Turn5 but more expensive. Please correct me if i am wrong. 

I have a pair of Reloop RP-7000 (original model, not the current MK2 which is what the Turn 5 is based upon) and they are quite solid turntables with low wow and flutter (at least to my ears!) I owned SL1200mk2s about 15 years ago and the Reloops give up very little (if anything) in terms of practical and mechanical performance IMHO.

EDIT: Let me add that I haven't tried the Reloops in my main system against, say, my Technics SL-120 with the same Denon DL-110 cart fitted, so I can't really comment on the audio performance of the Reloops with any recent context, so maybe my comments are a tad useless ;)  They do sound fine to my ears though. I'd expect the Turn 5 to be similar - a solid Hanpin Super-OEM turntable.

reloop1.jpg

Edited by pete_mac

Probably makes more sense to consider the RP7000Mk2 as decent a budget option.  As a Hanpin Super OEM the RP7000Mk2 is closer to a Pioneer PLX-1000 at nearly half its price.  The case for the Turn5 becomes less compelling at its circa $1,000 price tag when a new SL1200 MK7 probably could be had for not much more.  Thanks for the input and thoughts.

On 17/05/2019 at 1:50 PM, pete_mac said:

EDIT: Let me add that I haven't tried the Reloops in my main system against, say, my Technics SL-120

I did compare my RP-7000 to my SL-120 (with SME-3009 MK2) tonearm in my main system, and... The Reloop subtly but noticeably whipped the SL-120 everywhere.

Both were tested with AT-150MLX.

So... the SL-120 went bye byes. 

I don't think a Reloop is as good a a Kuzma or anything more expensive along those lines. But at it's price it's highly functional, super easy to set VTA for each record which can be important for getting the best out of vinyl and probably equals anything else new at its price point and possibly even double or triple it's price point irrespective of brand.

Edited by eltech

On 29/10/2019 at 7:40 PM, eltech said:

I did compare my RP-7000 to my SL-120 (with SME-3009 MK2) tonearm in my main system, and... The Reloop subtly but noticeably whipped the SL-120 everywhere.

Both were tested with AT-150MLX.

So... the SL-120 went bye byes. 

I don't think a Reloop is as good a a Kuzma or anything more expensive along those lines. But at it's price it's highly functional, super easy to set VTA for each record which can be important for getting the best out of vinyl and probably equals anything else new at its price point and possibly even double or triple it's price point irrespective of brand.

I reckon an RP7000 Mk2, with a in-built phono stage bypass, KAB tonearm re-wire, KAB tonearm tubing, a Jelco headshell and good platter mat like the Achromat would kick serious butt.  My sister has the stock RP7000 Mk2 and I'm very impressed by it.