Nura / Denon PerL Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

Cancelled my order just after all the shutdowns started, as production had come to a halt & got myself the Sony WF true wireless headphones. Still am curious to see people's opinion on these after a week or 2 of using them.

The early indications reading people's initial thoughts on Reddit have been for the most part positive, but not mind blowing in regards to the sound quality - I think people had expectations they'd get a similar experience to the Nuraphone, which simply isn't going to happen with an in-ear headphone compared to an over-ear headphone.

Look forward to people's thoughts posted in here.

• Like 1

• Administrator

6 tracks in, I'm underwhelmed. I really wanted these to be great as they tick a lot of boxes for me when travelling.

Individual results are going to vary I guess, given the personalisation. It would be good to be able to dig into the profile and see what Nura has 'determined'. I have no idea at this stage, but in Neutral mode with Personalisation turned off, they sound worse than bundled ibuds. Turning Personalisation on, I find I need immersion turned up to at least 90% in order to get some foundation bottom end to balance out the sound.

First tracks off the list came from TIDAL, so thinking that the platform might be compressing data more than usual at the moment (a rumour), swapping to Roon and local content, as well as Qobuz all yielded similar results.

Bass is wooly, cymbals and high hats sound artificial- I'm reminded of high bit rate MP3 sound quality. It's entirely flat, lifeless.

They don't do dynamic swings well at all, and in louder pieces it's just a mishmash of instruments. 

It's possible they need some time to settle down and break in, and experience tells me such, however they've got a long way to be considered worthy of most listeners on this site IMO. 

On the plus side, fit is good, comfort is great, they're lightweight and make a great seal with my ears with the S tips fitted.

Certainly no out of head experiences coming this way soon though I believe. But, I will give them some time - I generally like to leave headphones running on the desk for a few days before judging them. Unfortunately they turn off as you remove them from you ears, so looks like I'll have to use them throughout that process in this case. I do hope to change my opinion overall with some time, in any case.

• Thanks 2

• Administrator

OK just less than an hour later I am hearing very marginal improvement. I ran a second profile and while the image appears the same, the sound is somewhat fuller, and less artificial, but certainly no "audiophile" grade as yet. Will continue monitoring. It's encouraging that they may improve in time though.

• Administrator

They flattened much quicker than expected. Giving them a full charge this time before listening again to see if that makes a difference.

• Administrator

OK these have been stolen by my wife, who immediately warmed to them in every way.

Go figure. Maybe I'm just not the target audience :)

43 minutes ago, Marc said:

OK these have been stolen by my wife, who immediately warmed to them in every way.

Marc

I look forward to advising my experience next week when mine arrive.

I really value honest feedback - it sounds like they could be quite specific to the customer.

I wonder whether your hearing and adjustments are different to your wifes? (apart from the typical male deafness related to the higher frequencies of the wife's vocal chords   :) ).

All good to hear.  My ears are 61 years old.  They are not perfect.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

So are we going to see the review written by Mrs Marc ?? :D 

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Benje said:

Marc

I look forward to advising my experience next week when mine arrive.

I really value honest feedback - it sounds like they could be quite specific to the customer.

I wonder whether your hearing and adjustments are different to your wifes? (apart from the typical male deafness related to the higher frequencies of the wife's vocal chords   :) ).

All good to hear.  My ears are 61 years old.  They are not perfect.

As I mentioned, everyone's experiences will differ due to the personalisation but I'm very familiar with MIY and Beyerdynamic (similar personalisation/testing) and they're fantastic (Lagoon ANC are still my go-to travel 'phones). 

I think it's more to do with the fact that she cares much less about the sound quality, and digs the form, features and functions.

8 minutes ago, Martykt said:

So are we going to see the review written by Mrs Marc ?? :D 

Not likely :)

• Like 2

I know it's been only a day or 2 since some of you have received them..

I am very keen to hear from anyone who have used them in noisy environments and how well the active noise cancellation and phone mic works (they have both out those, yes?) 

I work in Data Centres a fair bit and my old LG round the neck earbuds did a rather good job in both.. I lost them just in Aug last year and have been waiting for for these to come out to replace (have a cheap set that do OK on the cancellation, but crap on the phone mic) 

• Administrator

I haven't used the microphone yet, but I can report the ANC is very, very good - heading towards best in class I think but I'd need to jump on a plane to make that final judgement.

• Like 1

Ahhh, don't you just love tracking cookies... 

Jumped on to Facebook straight after I posted the above and what was the first sponsored ad on my Facebook feed.. 

A review for nuraloop

https://www.slashgear.com/nura-nuraloop-review-the-sound-of-custom-earbuds-without-the-price-14620476/?fbclid=IwAR0DVw_nf4W8zFBad4vYwuorK7qXSxvHv7l9f6Gqhq3aXPIr0ML2r_taJ1M

It's not a bad review actually.. 

Might wait until the first month to see what problems surface, if any 

But I think I am sold. 

• Administrator

I've got a problem with the left earphone touch pad not working correctly. It's an intermittent problem and have to keep taking it out and reinserting it to get it to work.

Looks like I'll be raising the issue with Nura.

• Administrator

Yeah did receive that. I'll run the update in the morning.

Meanwhile, have contacted Nura about my faulty touch sensing, no response yet.

On 16/05/2020 at 6:07 PM, Marc said:

As I mentioned, everyone's experiences will differ due to the personalisation but I'm very familiar with MIY and Beyerdynamic (similar personalisation/testing) and they're fantastic (Lagoon ANC are still my go-to travel 'phones). 

I think it's more to do with the fact that she cares much less about the sound quality, and digs the form, features and functions.

Not likely :)

Little off-topic, but what do you think of the Beyerdynamic Lagoon headphones? I've started looking around the past few days at possibly a BT set & have been reading up about these. I own the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, so like the sound signature.

Can you compare them to any other BT phones, if at all the Sony's?

On 16/05/2020 at 10:25 PM, Marc said:

I've got a problem with the left earphone touch pad not working correctly. It's an intermittent problem and have to keep taking it out and reinserting it to get it to work.

Looks like I'll be raising the issue with Nura.

Have been following the Nuraloop sub-thread on Reddit & seeing a fair few people post different technical issues. Not great.

• Volunteer
On 16/05/2020 at 10:07 PM, Hytram said:

Ahhh, don't you just love tracking cookies... 

Jumped on to Facebook straight after I posted the above and what was the first sponsored ad on my Facebook feed.. 

A review for nuraloop

https://www.slashgear.com/nura-nuraloop-review-the-sound-of-custom-earbuds-without-the-price-14620476/?fbclid=IwAR0DVw_nf4W8zFBad4vYwuorK7qXSxvHv7l9f6Gqhq3aXPIr0ML2r_taJ1M

It's not a bad review actually.. 

Might wait until the first month to see what problems surface, if any 

But I think I am sold. 

Just read that review. Given what people are saying here, it's almost as if its a different product :(

On 16/05/2020 at 10:07 PM, Hytram said:

But I think I am sold. 

I'm certainly not. 

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Just read that review. Given what people are saying here, it's almost as if its a different product :(

I'm certainly not. 

I think a lot here are looking at and comparing it to an audiophile product, myself and probably a majority of its buyers are probably not. Its very rare for me to do so, but competing for best is class for best sound is not a major concern for me, it's the mic capabilities in noisy environments, the Bluetooth plus wired capability and ANC. Sound is almost the last thing.. (but the better, the better) 

The only place I will use these are on the job and in a plane where critical listening isn't that important to me. 

I think if are worried 'only' about sound quality, these are not for you. 

Is there another inner ear earphone that does Bluetooth and wired? Thats what sold me. 

Anywho, ordered a pair last night. Will know shortly. 

Mine arrived today.

Put them in my ears straight out of the box, just to see what they feel like.  Hmm, feel like they feel like? :blink:

They didn't feel too bad.  Fitted okay, although there did seem to be a fair bit of noise from the cable when I moved my head around which was a bit worrying.  They just kept repeating saying charge for an hour or whatever it was. 

No worries, plugged them into a 5V charger for a couple of hours.

Downloaded the app on my phone, put the earphones in and tried to connect.  They just don't show up.  Checked what version of Bluetooth my phone had, 4.2, yep all good.  Can't connect them to anything because they don't seem to be turning on.  Even using the 3.5mm plug attached to my computer, there's just no sound.  Connecting them back to the charger doesn't appear to reset them either.

*sigh*

I guess I shouldn't be surprised really.  

FFS.

Well, the first hour was frustrating.

I am now in love.

I haven't had anything like this before - others with more headphones and in-ears migh have, but not me.

I am surprised at how comfortable they are, once you get them on and in your ear (not easy).

I am fascinated by the social mode - so silent, then one tap and you are back in the conversation.

I was really taken by the difference in sound using my brother-in-laws setting, then mine.  We hear things somewhat similarly but oh so differently.

Haven't used the microphone/call side of it yet.

The noise cancelling is significant.  And the immersion if you want some more or less base.

It does take an hour to get into them, and I don't think I have a fault with mine.  I might be lucky.  The instructions are pretty thin - all intuitive stuff.

So light.  Only used bluetooth so far, with TIDAL.

I did try the TV with bluetooth - that was patchy.  Could be the television....

Well done NURA.  And, one day, I'll try those other headphones which are better.  12 months was worth the wait.

Benje

ps  all I need now is a plane or a bus or train to catch.

These nuraloops would be terrible on a bike or running - you wouldn't hear anything around you.

Edited by Benje