Just to repeat that. I almost bought them at $400. But knew some had got them cheaper again. And now they are well above their worth. The Z1R was cheaper couple weeks ago!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shootout #2 Previous caveats apply: Gustard A22 vs Sonnet Morpheus So, the Sonnet comfortably saw off the Giesler Kompakt in tonality, imaging and depth, albeit close though. The A22 is

The transformers are ginormous. From early listening makes for very effortless sound.   

He1000se arrived and I've been listening for an hour. Initial thoughts are that this is my kind of headphone. Imaging and soundstage stood out but so are details and clarity. Bass is not as pronounced

On 19/06/2019 at 5:29 PM, dalethorn said:

I downloaded Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues a few weeks ago - easy jazz more-or-less, and for sound quality it's one of the best recordings I've ever heard. It's in DSD or PCM from 96khz on up. Anyway, I'm using this album as a final test of new headphones, or how well any headphone responds to mods or EQ. Highly recommended, and hard to believe it was a live audience.

https://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

The Carmen Gomes albums are on sale in various hi res formats  this week at  https://www.soundliaison.com/

But this Friday is a good way to support her directly via https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/  . She sell Red Book CD's and 44.1 flac downloads and MP3's.

as: "Bandcamp will be waiving their revenue share on Friday June 5 as a way of showing support for the music creators. This is a great day to load up on downloads of your fave songs and albums by your fave artists. "

CarmenDYC4.jpg

Edited by Rup
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have Sundara's on the way and am quite looking forward to trying my first Planar Magnetic set of cans. I own DT 770 Pro's (80ohm) and 6xx and power them with the Schiit stack. Anybody want to ruin my hype? or maybe get me more hyped with their personal experiences with the Sundara? :)

Can't ruin it. Sundara is a solid option!

The 770 Pro is a big energy can, V shaped fun. The 6xx is quite nuetral, lovely mids, low end rolls off a bit though. Sundara will fit in nicely with those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Can't ruin it. Sundara is a solid option!

The 770 Pro is a big energy can, V shaped fun. The 6xx is quite nuetral, lovely mids, low end rolls off a bit though. Sundara will fit in nicely with those.

Great to hear :) What's your personal favourite set of cans?

If I had to choose one hey. Hmm. Too hard.

The ones I'm selling are the best ones I've owned. ZMF Verite. Hard to criticise them really, apart from Price.

Also enjoyed a brief demo of the ZMF Aeolus and Meze Empyrean.

Utopia and Stellia not my thing, if the fit and build was different I would probably grow to enjoy the Stellia.

Sony MDR-Z1R was a special can. Shouldn't have sold it.

Alessandro MSPro was rock and roll. Shouldn't have sold it.

HD6XX is enjoyable. It's hard to go back to it though for me, the sheer drop in clarity is a bit stark sometimes. By themselves, awesome though.

HD800 / HD800S has some magic to them too.

11 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

The ones I'm selling are the best ones I've owned. ZMF Verite.

Curious to know what direction you're talking... sticking with headphones? Or moving onto nearfield monitors?

Both. Just not using headphones too much at the moment. Maybe 5 hours a week, and a lot of that is mixed gaming/music.

Going to reduce to some cheaper cans (maybe Aeolus) and speakers during day as I work.

• 1 month later...
On 13/08/2020 at 6:04 PM, Bengineer said:

Been quiet in the ol' headphone forums. Whats new extended Head-Fi family?

I recently purchased HD800 but the dac/amp I was using had problems, so now I'm waiting on a SMSL SP200 amp to arrive through the mail and have nothing here to drive them with except the headphone output of a Pro-ject Box S2 which is ok for IEMs but no power for HD800.

You can get sound from them and its sort of passable but nothing like a dedicated amp from the DAC.

On 14/08/2020 at 10:31 PM, Ewok209 said:

I recently purchased HD800 but the dac/amp I was using had problems, so now I'm waiting on a SMSL SP200 amp to arrive through the mail and have nothing here to drive them with except the headphone output of a Pro-ject Box S2 which is ok for IEMs but no power for HD800.

You can get sound from them and its sort of passable but nothing like a dedicated amp from the DAC.

You SP200 arrive?

51 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

You SP200 arrive?

Yes, quite an accurate sounding amp with good refinement and well controlled highs, but I had problems with my DAC during a firmware upgrade and everything is on hold atm while its away for repair. Spent near $2k recently on audio gear but can't get a clean break from little issues arising.

• 2 months later...
On 05/06/2020 at 12:59 AM, Rup said:

The Carmen Gomes albums are on sale in various hi res formats  this week at  https://www.soundliaison.com/

But this Friday is a good way to support her directly via https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/  . She sell Red Book CD's and 44.1 flac downloads and MP3's.

as: "Bandcamp will be waiving their revenue share on Friday June 5 as a way of showing support for the music creators. This is a great day to load up on downloads of your fave songs and albums by your fave artists. "

CarmenDYC4.jpg

CarmenUJTD300shadowDXD.jpg  

Her albums just keeps getting better and better.  Check her latest DXD recording. The music is great and sonically this is maybe the best I have ever heard;

I bought the Red Book CD at her Carmen Gomes Inc. BandCamp site

And now the DXD master download is available from  SOUND LIAISON

Carmen Gomes Inc.
Up Jumped The Devil

A song is like a dream, and you try to make it come true. They're like strange countries you have to enter. - Bob Dylan

Discovering the Music of Blues Legend Robert Johnson

By framing each of Robert Johnson’s songs with small instrumental miniatures, Carmen Gomes Inc. have created an album that sounds like an imaginary road movie. Listening one perceives Robert walking late at night, en route in the Mississippi Delta, reflecting back on his life.
The low A, 27.5 Hz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind.

Edited by Rup
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, gzbaga said:

This is part of a big liquidation, as I believe to have found my perfect set - the HE6SE and HE1000 V2.

@gzbaga, curious, how are you finding the HE6SE? Especially in terms of weight compared to the HEK? One being 500g the other ~450g?

Edited by deafenears
1 hour ago, deafenears said:

@gzbaga, curious, how are you finding the HE6SE? Especially in terms of weight compared to the HEK? One being 500g the other ~450g?

The HEK is indeed one of the most comfortable planars I've ever tried. Suspension headband + large earcups + some 400g weight make them enjoyable even over long listening sessions. 

The HE6SE on the other hand is a bit less comfy. I have the Adorama V2 with old school hifiman headband, but it has a lot more padding than the original one. If you are ok with Audeze weight, you should be able to handle the HE6SE as well.

Tonally the HE6SE to me is also for shorter listening sessions - a lot more intense, meaty and forward comparing to the HEK. By conparison the HEK has this ethereal, soft and pleasing sound. If you want a slightly darker sound with plenty bass impact and luscious vocals, the LCD series is great.

• Like 2
  • Marc pinned this topic

Autuer/Verite Open (again)/Verite Closed

And..... not sure what else.

A Grado maybe, would need to compliment another though, they can't be your only can....

5 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Believe it or not, I'm currently headphoneless. Won't last long, but still.

Your ears are getting cold mate,  need some ZMF to keep them warm, maybe the Aeolus again?

5 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Your ears are getting cold mate,  need some ZMF to keep them warm, maybe the Aeolus again?

It's quite hot in QLD, Aeolus a bit too warm ;)

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

It's quite hot in QLD, Aeolus a bit too warm ;)

Serious issue.  I love the sound of headphones but have never found something comfortable that doesn't get too hot in QLD weather in Summer.   

Best I have found is frog-skin leather on-ear pads of a cheapish JBL bluetooth set.  The velour (?) soft pads of a Sennheiser over ear, make my ears too hot.    

There's always ear buds, but the change in bass level depending on how you settle them in your ear is quite annoying.

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Or a Grado.

Have a cheap Grado.  Horrible peak at an annoying frequency.  Not sure the foam feels as nice either :(  

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Try an open headphone. Real leather pads that are perforated (full of small holes)

I will look for something like that, not too expensive, to trial.

On 15/12/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bengineer said:

Hey, we got stickied. Noice.

What's news with the Head-Fi crazies?

Believe it or not, I'm currently headphoneless. Won't last long, but still.

Won't be for long. 🙂

I have 6 headphones in my collection right now. Beyer T1.2 is sold and will be posted out this Sat. More changes on the way but for now, the Audeze LCD-3f and LCD-X are rocking my boat. I keep hanging on to my HD800 but I don't know for how long more. 🙂 No point in selling the HD650 because it won't get me much. Might as well use it to test headphone tube amps. 🙂

On the eve of my headphones family changes, I thought I'll post some pictures of what I have. I have enjoyed these for the variety of tones that they bring to my palate. 🙂

I can't believe that I've sold off the T1.2 and Verite and will be sending it off tomorrow. Oh well maybe I'll buy another Verite later in another wood.

Left to right - Beyer T1.2, ZMF Verite LTD Pheasant Wood, Audeze LCD-3f

IMG_0511.jpg

• Like 1

These 2 headphones plus HD650 make up the 6 headphones in my collection to date. 🙂

HD800 and Arya. Some similarities in terms of clarity, details and soundstage but that's where it ends... they are still 'different' as far as I'm concerned. Strangely I had HD800 new in 2017 from A2A and I've not sold it. Perhaps I just view it as an iconic headphone that I should keep. It is a milestone for Sennheiser and a headphone that was much talked about when it was released in 2009. Wow so long ago. 🙂

IMG_0525.jpg

• Like 1

Audeze LCD-X has joined the ranks recently and as I've said, I'm gravitating towards Audeze now. With these 4 headphones, I could have said, 'yeah that's enough'. They are as different as chalk and cheese and as interesting as blood diamonds. Of course, other TOTL headphones beckons. In the ever changing world of headphones, these heavy weights are probably considered mid tiered headphones now but as far as I'm concerned, they are top of the class for tonality and yes I've heard the competition, the likes of Utopia, LCD-4, Susvara and Abyss ab-1266 phi. 🙂

IMG_0573.jpg

• Like 1

Arya is as interesting as it is comfortable. It is actually my son's but in the few days that he let me use it, I claim it as my own. 🙂 I probably wouldn't buy a Arya though as much as I like it. If I wanted to venture into the world of HiFiMan, I will get the HE1000se purely for the class it exudes. 🙂

Arya straight out from Yggdrasil and Oblivion is simply such a fresh, airy tone. A bright Spring day.

IMG_0574.jpg

• Like 1

I feel my HD800 is an amazing headphone but only find myself using it for a quick buzz rather than a daily driver.

I mainly listen to music in the morning while browsing Instagram and HD800 is too polarising for a morning session.

I use it to get my fix of detail when in the mood 

1 hour ago, eLicky said:

I feel my HD800 is an amazing headphone but only find myself using it for a quick buzz rather than a daily driver.

I mainly listen to music in the morning while browsing Instagram and HD800 is too polarising for a morning session.

I use it to get my fix of detail when in the mood 

What's the daily driver then?

I find the HD800 too busy for my music. Too wide and spaced out. Brain focusses on the headphone, not the music.

4 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

What's the daily driver then?

I find the HD800 too busy for my music. Too wide and spaced out. Brain focusses on the headphone, not the music.

I use IEMs mostly, own a couple by Tralucent Audio, 1Plus2 and 1Plus2.2, theyve kept me happy for several years.

I've been into portable audio since 2011 mainly on Head-fi, wrote reviews did the rounds there for 5-years but it just got silly, too expensive for my wallet to continue.

Spending $1000+ to 'taste test' candy isn't my style.

Here's one of the IEMs I use.

1plus5.jpg.ffbee9d11bc2b02106dbe55c6184eb9d.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I can't believe that I've sold off the T1.2 and Verite and will be sending it off tomorrow. Oh well maybe I'll buy another Verite later in another wood.

Wow - the pheasant wood gone! That's been in your lineup for so long. As always, I've followed you down the next rabbithole. LCD-X has joined the team. You'll see what a bad person I am from the photo. 

A+S Mogwai SE, LF339i, Gustard A22, Kompakt, Stax 353, node 2i with a Roon core via Matrix SPDIF2

HD800s, VC, Utopia, LR-700 Mk2, LCD-3, LCD-X. How much is too much?

IMG_1071.jpeg

• Like 2

I know - it's a cheap Selby thing - like $149! I got it when we moved as my desk area isn't big enough for all of the candy. Probably should get something nicer. Want to settle on the ultimate gear selection first. Who am I kidding!

3 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Wow - the pheasant wood gone! That's been in your lineup for so long. As always, I've followed you down the next rabbithole. LCD-X has joined the team. You'll see what a bad person I am from the photo. 

A+S Mogwai SE, LF339i, Gustard A22, Kompakt, Stax 353, node 2i with a Roon core via Matrix SPDIF2

The next rabbit hole is Head-Fi rack rolling. 🙂 Who would have known that you need a rack for Head-Fi?

So here's 2 choices of many.... you can go up or go expensive. 😄

610qCfcAJGL.jpg

Quadraspire-X-Reference-Audio-Rack_Main-1_2048x.jpg

3 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

You're very very bad Neil. 🙂

The Pheasant wood has flown up the border. 🙂