22 hours ago, barbz127 said:

Could anyone reccomend an amp)dac combo sub $650 that will pair well with a set of dt880s at 600ohm?

Combo as in all in one unit?

Audio GD NFB11.28

Audio GD R2R11

JDS Labs Element

Topping DX7

Schiit Stack

Then in the used market there a few rare gems too.

On 29/06/2019 at 6:25 PM, Ewok209 said:

I really like DT990 but my left ear touches the driver and causes a hot spot, I'm deciding whether I can deal with that. Too hard to tell with a short demo instore. 

I got a Beyer Lagoon a few days ago, and the somewhat shallow earcups have a projection of some kind inside. It's covered by thick fabric, but the feel of it reminds me of the balanced armature that Final Audio built into their Sonorous VI along with the regular driver. Anyway, I was thinking whatever is inside the earcup, if it was smooth and flat I could deal with it, but the bumpy stuff may yet be a problem.

8 minutes ago, dalethorn said:

I got a Beyer Lagoon a few days ago, and the somewhat shallow earcups have a projection of some kind inside. It's covered by thick fabric, but the feel of it reminds me of the balanced armature that Final Audio built into their Sonorous VI along with the regular driver. Anyway, I was thinking whatever is inside the earcup, if it was smooth and flat I could deal with it, but the bumpy stuff may yet be a problem.

I wasn't aware Sonrous VI used a balanced armature, very unique. 

When I wear the DT990 it doesn't cause much irritation during use, more so after I remove them I feel that area of my ear for a long time after.

There's a fabric there / padding but it seems our ears are so sensitive to this.

I believe with a decent amount of my hair, say 2-3mm surrounding the earpad that would be enough to reduce this problem, that's the amounts but I shave my head lol.

4 minutes ago, Ewok209 said:

I wasn't aware Sonrous VI used a balanced armature, very unique. 

When I wear the DT990 it doesn't cause much irritation during use, more so after I remove them I feel that area of my ear for a long time after.

There's a fabric there / padding but it seems our ears are so sensitive to this.

I believe with a decent amount of my hair, say 2-3mm surrounding the earpad that would be enough to reduce this problem, that's the amounts but I shave my head lol.

I wonder if the padding could be removed, washed, and put back. People who were irritated by some of Grado's wiry earpads would wash them in some kind of solution to soften them up.

I have a set of Brainwavz XL Micro Suede on my DT770 (actually MMX300 gaming, same same). They seem to hold the cups further away. Big comfies. $45 delivered from Amazon.

Just seen an email from massdrop with a $20 discount on hd6xx until the 7th.

Is this a worthwhile deal to jump on? Looking for another set of all-rounders and you can't never have enough...

26 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Is this a worthwhile deal to jump on? Looking for another set of all-rounders and you can't never have enough...

Probably don't want to know this...

There was pair of 6XX on eBay for $260, 3-months old hardly used, but they sold yesterday. I was considering them but just sold my HD600 and not that keen on the Sennhesier tonality. 

If you like cleaner sounding headphones, my pick with a decent amp is DT990, they're tuned very well IMO.

Yeah I think that's a great deal, I think they perform well as all rounders

56 minutes ago, Ewok209 said:

Probably don't want to know this...

There was pair of 6XX on eBay for $260, 3-months old hardly used, but they sold yesterday. I was considering them but just sold my HD600 and not that keen on the Sennhesier tonality. 

If you like cleaner sounding headphones, my pick with a decent amp is DT990, they're tuned very well IMO.

Thankyou, my current is dt880s so I figured this would be a bit of a sidegrade but possibly one worth jumping on for something different.

7 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Thankyou, my current is dt880s so I figured this would be a bit of a sidegrade but possibly one worth jumping on for something different.

I demo'd them both recently 250ohm DT880 / DT990, unless the pair I had was faulty (an old demo set) I preferred the DT990 personally and saved some money.

Everyone is different though.

HD6xx are worth up to $300 I think. Build quality is fine. Comfort is OK, gets better over a long time of softening those pads. Sound is good for price, never really let you down. Also never really WOW the hell out of you.

Overall a solid choice around $300

Guest Music monster

I have a pair of HD6xx and agree with the above.great value for money.gary the music monster 🎶

9 hours ago, Bengineer said:

HD6xx are worth up to $300 I think. Build quality is fine. Comfort is OK, gets better over a long time of softening those pads. Sound is good for price, never really let you down. Also never really WOW the hell out of you.

Overall a solid choice around $300

With the right amp they are quite good. Got mine running off a tube hybrid amp with excellent results.

I’m pre-ordering NuraLoops - anyone else having a swing?

11 hours ago, candyflip said:

I’m pre-ordering NuraLoops - anyone else having a swing?

Not heard of that brand before!

1 hour ago, Ewok209 said:

Not heard of that brand before!

They're based on the concept that we all hear differently, so our headphones and earphones should change the sound to accomodate our hearing differences.

This may go against the basic concept of high fidelity reproduction.

If you and I have reasonable undamaged hearing, and we both like the sound of live music "as is", and if our headphones are accurate high fidelity reproducers, then we should hear the same with those headphones more-or-less as at the live music venue (acoustic music).

It's always good to be able to tweak a headphone, either through custom mods, or equalization, since no headphone is perfect. But if you make very significant changes to a headphone's sound to accomodate your supposed hearing deficiencies, or "tastes", then you will not hear music the same as you hear live at the event. I prefer the original sound of live music.

I have a new v-moda M100 "Master" on the way (I was the first independent reviewer who got the original M100 moved from the headfi Portables topic to Full-size headphones, before v-moda signed on there and took over the heavy lifting). This has an all-new driver by Roland, so I'm hoping the narrow 5 khz recess doesn't exist in this new Master edition.

On 12/07/2019 at 2:26 AM, dalethorn said:

I have a new v-moda M100 "Master" on the way (I was the first independent reviewer who got the original M100 moved from the headfi Portables topic to Full-size headphones, before v-moda signed on there and took over the heavy lifting). This has an all-new driver by Roland, so I'm hoping the narrow 5 khz recess doesn't exist in this new Master edition.

Let us know your thoughts!

Where do I start with Custom IEMs?

Literally haven't used IEMs for over 5 years, so no idea what is what now.

@Bengineer

It's something I've also been looking into for a while but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. There are plenty of good reviews on theheadphonelist at 
https://theheadphonelist.com/category/reviews/ciem-reviews/

Mostly depends on how much you want to spend and what sound signature you're after. If you have an idea of the price range and sound qualities you want you can usually narrow it down by going through some reviews and seeing which IEM's might suit your needs. You usually aren't able to have a listen to custom IEM's as there aren't demos available, with the exception of some of the 64 Audio or Empire Ears IEM's that have a universal and custom option. I'm pretty sure you're in Queensland which means a trip to Minidisc is out of the question, which is unfortunate as they have a pretty decent range of both.

Another option I've been considering is custom tips for the IEM's I already have. I'm pretty happy with the sound of my Campfire Andromedas but the housing is a bit uncomfortable. There are a few options to have custom tips made but they seem to vary in regards to quality and price. Bit hard to lock down a preferred option. 

Second hand custom IEM's can be a bit difficult. Most companies will have a re-shelling option which requires you to send the headphones in with your ear impressions and they'll re-shell them to suit, but it can be pricey which negates some savings from buying used.

Yeah, basically.

Some decent options seem to be 64 A3e ($1200), JH 3x ($820...) and UE 7 ($1300) approx. Obviously a bunch of other options.

Don't want bright, don't want bass monster. I think fairly nuetral with a slight bass emphasis / darker tone would suit. Narrows it down a lot though.

One of the things I have found when looking into custom IEMs is that there are a lot of smaller brands out there that seem to be reviewed very well. I would suggest checking out some companies like CustomArt, Jomo Audio and Lime Ears if you haven't already. 

On 28/07/2019 at 11:17 AM, Snrub said:

@Bengineer

You usually aren't able to have a listen to custom IEM's as there aren't demos available, with the exception of some of the 64 Audio or Empire Ears IEM's that have a universal and custom option. I'm pretty sure you're in Queensland which means a trip to Minidisc is out of the question, which is unfortunate as they have a pretty decent range of both.

We have universal demos for all the 64 Audio and Empire Ears range :)

@Bengineer The A3e has a nice balance to it but not too balanced that its not enjoyable to listen to.

EDIT: I realise this post may have violated the forum rules, please remove if appropriate. 

Edited by Minidisc

@Minidisc Look who chimed in. Hello either Lachlan or Wing.

Unfortunately I can't come demo anything, Brisbane has zero stores. Zero.

Any have a slight nod to the darker tone? Or just a decent bass hit without the exaggerated highs too.

Edited by Bengineer