On 20/06/2019 at 12:24 PM, Ewok209 said:

I don't know yet, nothing too expensive hopefully. :P 

Have you heard anything about these?

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/fostex/products/fostex-tr-90-professsional-semi-open-headphones

I have a pair of them, initally when I bought them I was pretty happy with them. But after buying the Dekoni Blues, I find the tr-90 to be too sharp. But I suppoose the tr-90's are inteneded as monitoring headphones.

6 minutes ago, PUNCHiiT said:

I have a pair of them, initally when I bought them I was pretty happy with them. But after buying the Dekoni Blues, I find the tr-90 to be too sharp. But I suppoose the tr-90's are inteneded as monitoring headphones.

Makes me wonder how my T50RP MK3 would sound with the Dekoni blue pads, A2A seems to sell them separately.

I wasn't aware this Dekoni Blue version existed until now so thanks.

1 minute ago, Ewok209 said:

Makes me wonder how my T50RP MK3 would sound with the Dekoni blue pads, A2A seems to sell them separately.

I wasn't aware this Dekoni Blue version existed until now so thanks.

Grabbed my ones from Addicted to Audio. The Elite Hybrid pads that come on them are great.

2 minutes ago, PUNCHiiT said:

Grabbed my ones from Addicted to Audio. The Elite Hybrid pads that come on them are great.

Bit of a Fostex fan yourself hey? ;) 

Unsure  what you guys may think of him, but I watch Z Reviews quite a bit and find his reviews helpful.

3 minutes ago, Ewok209 said:

Bit of a Fostex fan yourself hey? ;) 

I have four of them and already eyeing off more..

I'm not a big fan of Z but Josh Valour, Metal 571 and DMS are far more informative for me.
Also Currawong and Lachlanlikeathing are good when they put out a review.
I also recently stumbled on Bert Reviews which is odd but entertaining and gives history of the headphone, you can tell they are passionate about headphones

Unsure  what you guys may think of him, but I watch Z Reviews quite a bit and find his reviews helpful.

[/url]  

2 minutes ago, Farpun said:

I'm not a big fan of Z but Josh Valour, Metal 571 and DMS are far more informative for me.
Also Currawong and Lachlanlikeathing are good when they put out a review.
I also recently stumbled on Bert Reviews which is odd but entertaining and gives history of the headphone, you can tell they are passionate about headphones

Will check them out. Only recently stumbled across Lachlanlikeathing, I liked his stuff.

20 hours ago, PUNCHiiT said:

Will check them out. Only recently stumbled across Lachlanlikeathing, I liked his stuff.

He is the guy from Minidisc yeah?

Yeah he is

He is the guy from Minidisc yeah?

On 15/05/2019 at 8:05 PM, Bengineer said:

As for the Clear. Completely different sound. They are clear and airy, separation is crazy good. Low end is there but always feels in the background a bit in most tracks. Heavier than the Sony, start to feel it after a while. Can see why people love them. I think with a bit more ooomph down there they would be close to perfect.

I recently picked up the Clear and I'm loving it so far. Compared to my HD 600s it offers more detail and the bass is more present (fuller with more punch, but not heavy or overly saturated). And the 600s ain't no slouch.

But now I'm considering an upgrade to my system. In order of preference:

• Schiit stack: Modi Multibit and Vidar 2 (detail, instrumental separation, good soundstage, articulate bass, vocals sound terrific)
  • PS Audio Sprout 100 (plenty of detail but cooler than the Schiit stack)
  • Marantz PM 6006 (warm and lush in comparison to the other two setups, with good dimensionality - quite gorgeous in fact)

Maybe a Jotunheim or Lyr? The THX AAA 789 reviews well but might not suit my cans - perhaps a full-on tube amp?

Anyhow it's happy days - loving my music all over again.

Went back to MInidisc today with intention to purchase DT880, I tried the DT1990 and a few others, it became a stand off for me between the 250ohm DT990 and DT880. The tonality and coherency of the open air DT990 was more inline with what I wanted and $80 less money wise.

After my visits to Minidisc I'm starting to question if more expensive is always better. There's a difference between a headphone displaying a lot of detail that blinds you and actually ticking more boxes such as tonality (preference related) coherency and timbre to name some areas.

I listened to the Fostex TH900 MK2, was very good, up there with HD800s but perhaps a little heavy on the bass as an investment.

Edited by Ewok209

Dt880 600ohm is meant to be really good, did you try that?

Went back to MInidisc today with intention to purchase DT880, I tried the DT1990 and a few others, it became a stand off for me between the 250ohm DT990 and DT880. The tonality and coherency of the open air DT990 was more inline with what I wanted and $80 less money wise.

After my visits to Minidisc I'm starting to question if more expensive is always better. There's a difference between a headphone displaying a lot of detail that blinds you and actually ticking more boxes such as tonality (preference related) coherency and timbre to name some areas.

I listened to the Fostex TH900 MK2, was very good, up there with HD800s but perhaps a little heavy on the bass as an investment.

2 minutes ago, Farpun said:

Dt880 600ohm is meant to be really good, did you try that?

From what I could tell only the 250ohm DT880  was available to demo on the racks. Not sure how my Aune T1SE would fair with 600ohms.

Have you heard a DT990 before?

Guest Music monster

I have a pair of focal utopia reference headphones. very happy in all departments and very comfortable. I still use my akg k340 from the late 70s and enjoy them.gary the music monster 🎶

11 hours ago, Music monster said:

I have a pair of focal utopia reference headphones. very happy in all departments and very comfortable. I still use my akg k340 from the late 70s and enjoy them.gary the music monster 🎶

Welcome aboard mate!

I was into IEMs and portable gear mostly, 5-years worth, took a break for 2-years then fell back down the rabbit hole.

Trying my luck with mid-range deskstop gear this time round.

Hardly tried any headphones, I need a trip to mindisc haha

From what I could tell only the 250ohm DT880  was available to demo on the racks. Not sure how my Aune T1SE would fair with 600ohms.

Have you heard a DT990 before?

1 minute ago, Farpun said:

Hardly tried any headphones, I need a trip to mindisc haha

I really like DT990 but my left ear touches the driver and causes a hot spot, I'm deciding whether I can deal with that.

Too hard to tell with a short demo instore. 

That's a shame about touching the driver it would probably only increase with the pads wearing in

I really like DT990 but my left ear touches the driver and causes a hot spot, I'm deciding whether I can deal with that.

Too hard to tell with a short demo instore. 

15 minutes ago, Farpun said:

That's a shame about touching the driver it would probably only increase with the pads wearing in

I get really distracted by this kind of thing as well.

We'll see how it goes, there is the option to exchange for another headphone, I would prefer not going back, its very dangerous there cost wise.

I went orginally to purchase an $80 adapter as a one off and have spent over $500 there in 3-weeks.

Edited by Ewok209

Yeah you might just grow to get used to it, comfort is a major factor for me with headphones.
Haha yeah mindisc is a good shop and easy to overspend

I get really distracted by this kind of thing as well.

We'll see how it goes, there is the option to exchange for another headphone, I would prefer not going back, its very dangerous there cost wise.

I went orginally to purchase an $80 adapter as a one off and have spent over $500 there in 3-weeks.

Could anyone reccomend an amp)dac combo sub $650 that will pair well with a set of dt880s at 600ohm?

I think a brilliant dac amp combo is the Grace SDAC and the JDS Labs Atom Amp, basically all you need out of an amp and dac and I'm sure the Atom will power the 880 fine

Could anyone reccomend an amp)dac combo sub $650 that will pair well with a set of dt880s at 600ohm?