Sign in to follow this  
Bengineer

General Headphone Chat

I probably sound like a broken record but get the Koss Portapros, really bang for buck for sound quality. They're $69.95 at mindisc and well worth the money, you'll also be supporting an Australian small business at the same time.

Anyone rate these for under $60 delivered?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lindy-HF-20-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones/391565908918?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

I only use cans in short in-frequent bursts of under an hour, to A-B vinyl in my setup at home.
I guess I could take these on PT weekdays too, but at the moment I'm just using IEM's and they are fine.

2 hours ago, Farpun said:

I probably sound like a broken record but get the Koss Portapros, really bang for buck for sound quality. They're $69.95 at mindisc and well worth the money, you'll also be supporting an Australian small business at the same time.

Wow - they ain't gonna win any beauty contests, are they?!?  :no:

OK - and where should I buy?

Wow - they ain't gonna win any beauty contests, are they?!?  :no:

OK - and where should I buy?
Haha they're not the best looking

https://www.minidisc.com.au/koss-porta-pro-headphones-classic

You can buy them cheaper from Drop.com but they come with an inline mic that doesn't play well with some amplifiers.
They're a great headphone I love em

Hi Everyone, please excuse be for butting in. I have been looking for a decent pair of BT headphones for home and the yearly overseas flight junket. Where l live, it is very hard to demo headphones...the old hygein bugbear. But l had heard a friend's Bose and Sony BTs. But wasn't overly impressed with the sound signature.

So have pulled the trigger solely on the back of reviews. Narrowed it down to three. The Sennheiser PXC550, Sony 100 and Bose QC 35 Il. JB HIFI had the 3, but l came away with the PXC. Mainly on price.
Got them for $280, significantly cheaper than the others.

Got them home and paired. Great sound, but the volume seems to be lacking. Not sure if this has been covered before, so apologies up front if it as. It's comfortably loud, but would have liked a good tad more. I noticed the same issue with the Sony's and Bose on the same phone. So I'm thinking it's a phone issue, not the headphone? The phone is a Samsung A5.

I have tried setting the volume on high with the headphones, and my phone on the lowest volume setting. But both equal simulationaly when l pair them.

Can this be rectified?

Or do l have to go the dac/amp thing. Which l don't want to do. Trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible. Plus l have a really good pair of Audio Technica wired cans that l use on my main system.

Would l l have to buy another phone such as the LG V30+ which l believe has a built in amp? I love the sound, but the volume issue is almost a deal breaker.

19 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Hi Everyone, please excuse be for butting in. I have been looking for a decent pair of BT headphones for home and the yearly overseas flight junket. Where l live, it is very hard to demo headphones...the old hygein bugbear. But l had heard a friend's Bose and Sony BTs. But wasn't overly impressed with the sound signature.

So have pulled the trigger solely on the back of reviews. Narrowed it down to three. The Sennheiser PXC550, Sony 100 and Bose QC 35 Il. JB HIFI had the 3, but l came away with the PXC. Mainly on price.
Got them for $280, significantly cheaper than the others.

Got them home and paired. Great sound, but the volume seems to be lacking. Not sure if this has been covered before, so apologies up front if it as. It's comfortably loud, but would have liked a good tad more. I noticed the same issue with the Sony's and Bose on the same phone. So I'm thinking it's a phone issue, not the headphone? The phone is a Samsung A5.

I have tried setting the volume on high with the headphones, and my phone on the lowest volume setting. But both equal simulationaly when l pair them.

Can this be rectified?

Or do l have to go the dac/amp thing. Which l don't want to do. Trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible. Plus l have a really good pair of Audio Technica wired cans that l use on my main system.

Would l l have to buy another phone such as the LG V30+ which l believe has a built in amp? I love the sound, but the volume issue is almost a deal breaker.

Do the headphones have an option to use a wired connection instead of Bluetooth or do you have access to another source? I'd try different source just to rule out the headphone limitation. 

Could also be volume on device. It can still control.

And they have an app? Make sure no kids mode on.

Ok it’s a couple of weeks in and time for me to give some impression on the HD800 with the SDR mod. I’ve been fine tuning a rig to run these on a have got them pretty much sorted.

The Rig:

Amp: Bottlehead Crack (clone with few upgrades). 5998 power tube and Mazda blue print 12au7 driver tube.

DAC: PDX. This one is my latest modded one with the all the bells and whistles. Running in non-oversampling with Duelund output caps. Very nice pair of Voskhod 75’ Silver Shield tubes driving the output stage.

Headphones: HD800 with SDR mod. Black Dragon cable.

Source: Music server running Roon and steaming Tidal. JCat USB interface piping the magic through a Curious Cable.

It’s been a bit of a journey to audio Nirvana with these cans. They are so revealing that if something is just slightly off with your system, it really throw things out of whack, but get it right and the rewards are significant. I’ve found a conservative approach works well with selecting tubes. The tubes I ended up using gave the sound signature a gentle push in certain directions. No need for a heavy handed approach, the modded HD800 sound darn fine and the addition voicing done with the tubes needs to carefully considered. One wrong tube and you’ll be miles from where you want it. 

Anyhow enough about that, now how does it sound? Well to me it sounds exactly the way I wanted the HD800 to sound. The HD800 held so much promise, but I feel it was let down by it’s notorious frequency spikes. I always felt that it needed more in the bass department, but in reality it wasn’t the whole truth. Taming those fly away frequencies allows you to dial in some more volume which in turns increases the bottom end. Then just add a touch more (my 5998 power tube helped here) and there you have it, bass is sorted.

As for the mids, these headphones can sound a little analytical at times and need a touch on warmth in this area to sweeten them up a bit. The Voskhod Silver Shield tubes in the DAC provide great mids with touch of warmth whilst still having enough grip keep things from getting too wooly.

Top end. Well this is an area that was pretty sorted already and the main reason I wanted a pair of these cans. Out of the box these have an amazing top end, super wide soundstage, excellent separation. Probably the closest to “listening to speakers” sound out there. What they lack in intimacy is made up for with spatial detail. These cans are a great compliment to my Utopias. The Utopias create a amazingly detailed intimate sound scape that sounds like it’s a few metres from you, whilst the HD800 sound like everything has taken several steps back and several steps apart. Both are incredible at what they do and I’m glad to have such contrast between them. Picking which one is better is like picking out a favourite child.

I’m so glad I gave these cans another go. I’ve always though they held some treasures, I just had to do some digging. These are on the “keeper” list and along with the Utopia, cover all the bases for me. Feels like I’ve just finally finished a challenging but rewarding computer game, so roll the credits while I listen to the soundtrack, job done!!

That's awesome mate. Would love to hear them. I really liked them, but needed a closed pair at the time I had them.

I salute your quest for individual sonic reception. Your one resourceful mofo. 

I salute your quest for individual sonic reception. Your one resourceful mofo. 

Obsessed would be a better word [emoji6]

I went back to Minidisc today and got some photos for you guys.

I went there to purchase the Fostex T50RP MK3, while I was there demo'd Focal Clear and Utopia.

64536334_414542005801442_3443642028460605440_n.thumb.jpg.a64102e0eda7778685d09aa045eaf293.jpg

64831181_303382563903748_5438262816823836672_n.thumb.jpg.68c12b8bffa2a7350ae06f9bd91624c3.jpg

64486712_2166884053418553_6266061997272465408_n.thumb.jpg.62e19ab48e0f2c37f32728c03ba9e747.jpg

65091899_381084775847292_2009917945748127744_n.thumb.jpg.d335e52206f1199a681ba75a0d1504b2.jpg

Definitely an obsession!

Also something that you need the time to do, and a healthy budget helps.

I'll get there one day, two young kids and running a business leaves me with neither time nor spare money. Both due to the children actually...

Not minding the Nighthawks at the moment. The fit is a bit odd, quite loose feeling. But light and you do forget about them, I just prefer a bit more clamp force and big soft pads for use with glasses. Pretty easy listening can. Obviously better than the HD650, clearer, airy, more detailed. But not to the point of like the Clear where some stuff just sounds ****.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Definitely an obsession!

I'll get there one day, two young kids and running a business leaves me with neither time nor spare money. Both due to the children actually...

Not minding the Nighthawks at the moment. The fit is a bit odd, quite loose feeling. But light and you do forget about them, I just prefer a bit more clamp force and big soft pads for use with glasses. Pretty easy listening can. Obviously better than the HD650, clearer, airy, more detailed. But not to the point of like the Clear where some stuff just sounds ****.

Don't discount the HD650's. With the right gear, these really shine!! I love mine.

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Definitely an obsession!

Find the time. Save yourself from online curiosity!

To be honest I wasn't blown away by the Focal lineup...

39 minutes ago, Benjet said:

Don't discount the HD650's. With the right gear, these really shine!! I love mine.

I haven't! I like them. Merely saying that a quick A/B between them is night(hawk) and day. If you wanted a casual laid back headphone, never really sounded bad, and you didn't mind the fit, the Nighthawks are great option. If they were the same price as the HD6xx, its a no brainer. HD6xx is stupid value though.

If someone can suggest to me the perfect closed can I would appreciate that. Also then send it to me to demo, ta.

Do the headphones have an option to use a wired connection instead of Bluetooth or do you have access to another source? I'd try different source just to rule out the headphone limitation. 
Thanks for input.
Haven't had BT headphones for a while and only in ear buds.

I think maybe l under estimated what these PXCs can do. Also a bit of buyer's remorse. I expected more from a pair of $500 cans, even though l payed a lot less. Also my wired speakers at $400 are far superior.

Anyway after a few days burn in, they are sounding better and better. And for some reason sound loud enough. Way better sound then anny of the Bose, Sony equivalent...by a far margin.

So all In all I'm very happy. They seem to get better with each listen. Still think a good amp phone like the LG V30+ will really make them shine.