• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

minunat    

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.   Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

Shootout #2 Previous caveats apply: Gustard A22 vs Sonnet Morpheus So, the Sonnet comfortably saw off the Giesler Kompakt in tonality, imaging and depth, albeit close though. The A22 is

Alright alright. Once all the crap comes, will make myself the following;

1.3m to 1.4m 4-wire silver plated litz braided cable (have copper litz coming too)

Furutech or Rean 4pin Mini XLR (Empyrean) - Furutech looks nicer, but ultimately they sound the same for a large difference in price

Heatshrink splitter to keep as light as possible

4.4mm Pentaconn @ amp end (copmact balanced, but not near impossible to solder like the 2.5mm trrs ones)

Then a 4.4mm female socket to 4pin XLR adapter, 20-30cm long

And a 4.4mm female socket to 6.35mm stereo adapter, either straight or right angled plug depending on what tube amp I get

And then maybe a 3.5mm version of the main cable for the Z1R, but thats less important

Then you end up with a shorter cable with 4.4mm for running off a DAP on holiday or on the lounge, and the two adapters to leave plugged into your main amps, without the bulk of the 4pin XLR to 4pin Female XLR setup

I had figured out how to do the above using Lemo (or Hirose) connectors, keeping it balanced and lightweight and compact, but then figured whats the point, just use 4.4mm then you have a working cable from the get go.

• Like 2

After watching this I think I'll change my approach to cable making. I've been making them too simple, not enough things or buzzwords.

Some years ago there was a crazy cable maker / company called 'Coconut Audio', if you goto Google images and search you'll see some old photos, super expensive super bizzare with special crystals and all this magic going on, they were also extremely expensive. There was a website you could buy them and promo vids on youtube but the owner went silent and removed the website, videos and basically vanished. Around 2014-2015 it was.

Well worth googling the company name still.

Coconut_Audio_Megalodon_Cable.jpg.40df27376a094810446b3dd0a388658b.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, eLicky said:

Some years ago there was a crazy cable maker / company called 'Coconut Audio', if you goto Google images and search you'll see some old photos, super expensive super bizzare with special crystals and all this magic going on, they were also extremely expensive. There was a website you could buy them and promo vids on youtube but the owner went silent and removed the website, videos and basically vanished. Around 2014-2015 it was.

Well worth googling the company name still.

Coconut_Audio_Megalodon_Cable.jpg.40df27376a094810446b3dd0a388658b.jpg

Looks like it could have a number of uses, not all of them HiFi.....

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

This ones more your style mate.

screenshot-www.google.com-2021_04.06-19_31_12.jpg.6784561f8273cf33bbf1b82f7d2ffef6.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Maybe it’s just me but I’m thinking that regardless of whatever other uses it may be fit for it will still need plugging in

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Ccollins said:

Maybe it’s just me but I’m thinking that regardless of whatever other uses it may be fit for it will still need plugging in

So is it anal-ogue or digital?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ColdsnapBry said:

Anyone know a place in NZ that can repair Grado headphone wires? Asking for a friend.

If the wires broke off inside the earpiece it's a pretty simple repair. I did my pair of 80s myself, and I'm not a tech at all.

• Like 1