6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I think you got it wrong. Nirvana use ECC82 which is a 12au7 (20 ohms). 12AX7 is 100 ohms and a lot more gain !

https://www.aurisaudio.shop/blogs/reviews/nirvana-review-by-headfonia

'As said the Auris Audio Nirvana uses double EL34 power tubes and a single ECC82 input tube.'

At Minidisc, I was certain I saw a single ECC82 in the driver's or preamp seat. This is the driver used in Elekit TU-8200 but it uses a pair.

You are correct for the stock tubes. The single-ended Auris Nirvana headphone amplifier/preamplifier is specified with optional 12AX7 driver to produce a maximum of 6Wpc into 32 ohms. The stock 12AU7 tube is a medium-mu (20) tube, but a high-mu (60) ECC81/12AT7 or an even higher-mu (100) ECC83/12AX7 tube may be substituted, allowing for increased gain, power, and voltage sensitivity. The Nirvana's input is rated at 1.4V for full output. We found the Nirvana to be very powerful and delivers it in a very controlled manner. Would love to hear Susvara or Abyss on this. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

minunat    

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.   Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

Shootout #2 Previous caveats apply: Gustard A22 vs Sonnet Morpheus So, the Sonnet comfortably saw off the Giesler Kompakt in tonality, imaging and depth, albeit close though. The A22 is

On 27/02/2021 at 9:48 PM, BobbieBeat said:

Question to the group. Have recently got into Headphones and am thinking about experimenting with an upgrade cable. I’m running Focal Stellias from a Hugo2/2go and Roon. Love how portable around the house the Hugo is. Sound is incredible but if I was to be picky I’d like to warm it up slightly....thinking about a cable (or different pads) to see what this does. Has anyone got the same gear/tried the same gear and got any views?

You're going to get far cheaper and better results using parametric EQ via Roon.  The only reason to change the cable on the Stellia is that it's physically awful. I'd recommend grabbing an aftermarket Meze 99 cable and calling it a day - but don't expect it to sound any different. 

1 hour ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

The B Stock are refurbished for the Utopias - I checked with them

Hasn’t  there be strong murmurs (around these parts in other threads) in the past this is just a way for some stock to be sold at a lower price (wink wink)(just between me and you)(just quietly)?

image.jpeg.560bb89675102d9fb9ac322dab9dde20.jpeg

Edited by Ccollins
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ccollins said:

Hasn’t  there be strong murmurs (around these parts in other threads) in the past this is just a way for some stock to be sold at a lower price (wink wink)(just between me and you)(just quietly)?

image.jpeg.560bb89675102d9fb9ac322dab9dde20.jpeg

I was interested in getting some at that price for my brother. So emailed them. "They" said that these were refurbished units with all of the usual accessories. I don't know what "refurbished" means in this context but decided to pass. It's not unknown for Utopias to have driver failures like any manufacturer. The drivers have to be "matched" apparently, so you can't just replace one side.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

I wonder if the Loki Max will be the Bifrost size?

May even be Yggy/MJ2/Freya sized if it's balls to the wall all out EQ

2 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

I was interested in getting some at that price for my brother. So emailed them. "They" said that these were refurbished units with all of the usual accessories. I don't know what "refurbished" means in this context but decided to pass. It's not unknown for Utopias to have driver failures like any manufacturer. The drivers have to be "matched" apparently, so you can't just replace one side.

Neil in case you were still pondering buying one, and in case you weren’t aware, focal do offer a 5 year warranty on the utopias (as per their own posts on the headfi thread)

if you already knew that....

image.gif

• Haha 1

Neil probably knows by now. That would be his 3rd Utopia. Some people trade in stock or vintage watches. Neil just buys and sells Focal and ZMF.

• Haha 4
10 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Neil probably knows by now. That would be his 3rd Utopia. Some people trade in stock or vintage watches. Neil just buys and sells Focal and ZMF.

He’s an authorised dealer, isn’t he?

• Haha 1

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.

Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

• Haha 7

*patiently waits for B-Stock used once Callaway socks and near full Single Malt*

I've been lead to be believe that tomorrow is the date of arrival for my final piece of audio equipment this year

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I've been lead to be believe that tomorrow is the date of arrival for my final piece of audio equipment this year

It’s still early March. 

image.gif.6c71eb6dc04b8f964568555273a550ee.gif

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Delayed until tomorrow according to tracking....

te dracu fedex

Edit: Updated again, in 10 minutes, to say it is. My emotions. They are fragile.

Edited by Bengineer

I'll post up pics in a moment, once I get them off my phone! Will report on thoughts once I have more of a listen. But the most obvious thing about them is that they require a lot of power to run. I don't listen loud but I need to go to 1-2o'clock on Medium Gain on my A90 to get the volume I want. That's the first HP I've owned that required that. Not even LCD4 was that hard.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

HeadAmp in the states.

This stock Meze cable is begging to be chopped up. Has really nice branded connectors and Y splitter, with a basic thin cable. D - i - WHYYYYYYY? Because I gotta!

Edit: Deadset forgot I have that braided tow rope, I mean 18awg copper, cable there that fits. Test time!

Edited by Bengineer
Just now, Bengineer said:

This stock Meze cable is begging to be chopped up. 

Have a listen to it 1st!  It's not that bad

2 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Have a listen to it 1st!  It's not that bad

Snip snip.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Snip snip.

Not sure why I quickly went to cover my front parts at this.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

I think we all do.

I won't chop it up for a while. But I do like the connectors. Not a huge fan of figure 8 / dual run cables in sleeving though. Braided cable might feel a bit weightier in the sound. Brain is in the wrong mood to A/B. Certainly looks cooler.

20210310_131826.jpg

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Snip snip.

14 minutes ago, rand129678 said:

11 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I think we all do.

image.gif.78b906230f12182e9683fb00b13e0385.gif

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, eLicky said:

Are the Empyrean a dark or bright sounding headphone?

Warm Neutral.

Not dark like an LCD-3. Not nuetral bright like a HD800S or Arya. Not very very warm like a Aeolus.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

I was never a fan. But I sort of realised that every time I heard them, it was firstly A/B with a D8000 Pro next to them. And secondly it was off Neil's TT2/MScaler stack. Which I didn't really enjoy anything off, despite how good it is.

After getting the MDR-Z1R and loving them again, figured Empy is the natural companion in open back form. Comfort, supreme build and engineering, warm sound with big hard hitting bass when needed. Not bright.

17 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I was never a fan. But I sort of realised that every time I heard them, it was firstly A/B with a D8000 Pro next to them. And secondly it was off Neil's TT2/MScaler stack. Which I didn't really enjoy anything off, despite how good it is.

After getting the MDR-Z1R and loving them again, figured Empy is the natural companion in open back form. Comfort, supreme build and engineering, warm sound with big hard hitting bass when needed. Not bright.

I do prefer brighter sound signatures in general (HD800) but I've heard some nice warmer/daker headphones.

I think the LCD-2 from some years ago is quite good.

I just stick with HD800 and HD800S these days along with some older Tralucent IEMs.

I still demo stuff at Minidisc sometimes

Your a lucky man Ben Very nice bro, I just got a pair of Fostex th900mk2 Very nice I would say a little bit bright but I love them..

The Red is gorgeous..

• Like 1