21 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Now I am going looking to get a “used pair” of  over ear , large cup , reference or close to reference pair of headphones 

After looking at what’s available especially in the models available with large cups for large ears 

Sennheiser HD 660 S or HD 700 or HD 800 

For comfort, reference sound and big ears, no question in my mind you must get the HD800. 

They have huge cups and barely any clamping force, and fairly light weight.

I would personally steer clear of any Sen hd6xx line, as they all have pretty strong clamping force.

I never tried the HD700. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

minunat    

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.   Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

The transformers are ginormous. From early listening makes for very effortless sound.   

1 hour ago, bruc3 said:

For comfort, reference sound and big ears, no question in my mind you must get the HD800. 

They have huge cups and barely any clamping force, and fairly light weight.

I would personally steer clear of any Sen hd6xx line, as they all have pretty strong clamping force.

I never tried the HD700. 

That’s why I’m leaning towards the HD800 or S

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Arya and He1000se have big egg cups but might be out of your range.

Thanks for the input - will have a look 

I mainly listen to music via the very sensitive speaker system 

The only drawback for me is that the headphones that I  will eventually choose - is that they will be used sparingly and when other occupants in the house don’t want to be distributed 

Hence the reason I added the Philips to the mix 

But if I was to go to reference standard- and like them so much that I may just switch to more headphone listening over speaker listening. 
Who knows ? 

• Like 1

@Full Rangeif you are ever in sydney head into minidisc at chatswood as they have a huge range and it’s a great way to get hands on. They are 15-20 mins by train from city and right next to train station. 
their service is great. Prices are very good too and from my experience i believe they price match

On 11/02/2021 at 6:49 PM, elisix_ said:

Thanks. Just let me know. :)

I'm thinking i'd use this SE copper for my Hugo 2 around the house and buy the XLR silver for my V281 at home. 

It may be different when using the hugo 2 but my experience of the empys was definitely to head more towards silver than 100% copper

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ccollins said:

@Full Rangeif you are ever in sydney head into minidisc at chatswood as they have a huge range and it’s a great way to get hands on. They are 15-20 mins by train from city and right next to train station. 
their service is great. Prices are very good too and from my experience i believe they price match

It may be different when using the hugo 2 but my experience of the empys was definitely to head more towards silver than 100% copper

Is that in reference to using your Empy on your Violectric? If so, I’d agree hence my comment above. However on Hugo 2, I can’t see this being a problem - I may be wrong but we will see.

At our recent meet at Peppy’s I tried both copper and silver Meze cables on the A&S Encore and while I preferred the silver, the copper just sounded different, not ‘worse’ as such.

Pairing the copper on a device like H2 should marry well. If not, the cable can be easily sold on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ccollins said:

I just went to see the online inventory 

They have a fair price on a HD800 S 

19 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

Is that in reference to using your Empy on your Violectric? If so, I’d agree hence my comment above. However on Hugo 2, I can’t see this being a problem - I may be wrong but we will see.

At our recent meet at Peppy’s I tried both copper and silver Meze cables on the A&S Encore and while I preferred the silver, the copper just sounded different, not ‘worse’ as such.

Pairing the copper on a device like H2 should marry well. If not, the cable can be easily sold on.

With my preferences and definitely ymmv

i used my empys with v280 and taurus, and briefly with us4, and i easily preferred my norne silver draug over norne volsund copper or stock (balanced) cable. 

but my preferences almost had me needing/strongly preferring eqing 1khz up by about 3db or so. 

one other factor is also that i was using an nos dac (metrum hex - cheap man’s sonnet :) ) so maybe a less warm dac, like the hugo 2, qutest etc plays better with the empy copper cable.

Just now, Ccollins said:

Edited by Ccollins
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, elisix_ said:

I heard both the Meze silver and copper cable at the meet too. Silver on Empyrean and Copper on Dan Clark Ether 2.  Both are great sounding cable and very good feel and flexible. For me though I prefer my Forza silver / copper blend. That's just right for my LCD-3f and my Noir Hybrid HPC just arrived in 2m length and xlr balance termination for my He1000se. So the Meze copper will go to a you and a good home. ? The price is great of course as Neil sells it cheap.

• Like 1

This is quite interesting. Drop releasing a new phone tomorrow. Lot of Drop members thinking it’s a HD800 variant.

576A63E6-BB86-4122-9C87-364A70BC10EF.png

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Ray H said:

This is quite interesting. Drop releasing a new phone tomorrow. Lot of Drop members thinking it’s a HD800 variant.

Wow, a Drop HD800 is going to get many newcomers into TOTL territory. Anxious to see what it is, but judging from that photo the headband does look like a HD800.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

The comments has a cleared up version. HD8XX for sure. Wonder what price point. $999USD ?

It appears to be a photoshop troll

22 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

It appears to be a photoshop troll

They said it's their most requested headphone.

6xx has sold 10x everything else.

I'd be surprised if it isn't a HD800 Drop Edition. Surely 

44 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

They said it's their most requested headphone.

6xx has sold 10x everything else.

I'd be surprised if it isn't a HD800 Drop Edition. Surely 

Interesting! Are Drop editions rebadged OEMs?

9 minutes ago, cassmobian said:

Interesting! Are Drop editions rebadged OEMs?

Mostly, yes.

They do have some bespoke designs, even if some of the tech is by others. Such as the THX 789 amplifier, Drop Panda etc.

But their bread and butter is a Drop "tweaked" version of a popular unit. So the HD6xx is the HD650, but in all black, basic cable and low price point. They've done this to a fair few headphone related things now. Take the unit, make it mostly all black, stick a "x" in the name somewhere, and tweak something small. Either to reduce price (so packaging or bundling or metal to plastic tweak) or to fix / give a drop spin on something (such as a slight tuning tweak).

• Like 1

And the 6XX has sold way way more units than anything else. They took a classic headphone that was getting long in the tooth, and sold 120,000 units by lowering its price to the point where everyone could afford it.

So when they say "this is our most requested headphone" all I can see it to be is the HD8XX. People are commenting its a AT or Hifiman or Audeze, but none of those are selling like the 6xx did.

Plus the photo looks like the HD800 headband and front housing.

Happy to be wrong, but I dont see anything else being "most requested"

Edited by Bengineer
3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Plus the photo looks like the HD800 headband and front yolk.

Yep its definitely the HD800.

Kind of hurts for guys like me who just paid full price for the HD800S only recently, and will hurt resale value too :(

It'll smash resale yeah. But you got at a decent price, they used to be over $2k.

Also you have local warranty, not Drop warranty on a expensive item.

I wonder what the tuning difference is. For me the HD800S was a bit lean down low, and always always stupidly wide soundstage, which hurts some music for me.

Well I’m glad I paid $1450 new locally for my HD800S then ? 

I still think it’s the best value headphone period.

2 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Yep its definitely the HD800.

Kind of hurts for guys like me who just paid full price for the HD800S only recently, and will hurt resale value too :(

Potentially true, but we don’t know how much and what they have done to it. If it’s USD 1K,  like Ben mentioned, it won’t be a massive saving over the original HD800. Also if they go for more bass and butcher the soundstage or something similar it may be a bit of a fail. Pure speculation though on my part.

If its USD $900 or less and has slight tuning to the bass, ie more, it will be impossible to resist to me personally.

• Like 1

Agree Ray.

I’d likely buy it to go alongside my HD800S for a difference flavor.

Really love this headphone. 

If it's $900 USD and they've managed to give it bass impact, I'm in.

If its just blacker, 1 cable, cheap box and a slight treble peak dampening added for $900-999 I'm not in.

3 minutes ago, skyliner34 said:

Seriously, when Audeze will cross over with Massdrop.  

Rumour has it they already did. Massdrop did the work on the LCD-2C, and Audeze took it and ran.

If that's true, I don't think you'll see another collaboration

Edited by sakabatou
spelling
11 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Rumour has it they already did. Massdrop did the work on the LCD-2C, and Audeze took it and ran.

If that's true, I don't think you'll see another collaboration

No wonder why LCD cheaper range is black. that sucks.

The bit glistening on the left side of the earcups had me thinking it was the hd800. Maybe deliberately done like that. 

however when i look at the right side of the right earcup i see a hifiman earcup holder/yolk (or whatever it is called). 

so maybe a he560 or a real he500 (and not he5xx)?

Headband looks HD800 though.

Plus they say most requested. Plus "Endgame Openbacks" and the promo email mentions legendary soundstage.

Putting $100 credit as a bet on HD8XX or whatever they call it.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

They onsold the HD820.

This is *hopefully* a Massdrop product. So expect cheaper.

They wouldn't cause this much fuss simply onselling HD800S. Must be 8xx.

• Like 1

I think your right @Bengineer, they would need to tweak it though which they get somewhat right. It'll probably all black with superdupont mod installed and different pads.

I'd have to borrow Ben's pair and see what his sound like on my gear first but I would be interested.

Realistically I don't see the 800S and 800 costing different.

So what do they do with a 8xx. 800 with DuPont and all black is essentially just a 800s. Anyway they do it, if it's done cheap enough, ruins Sennhiesers own 800S sales.

Edited by Bengineer
15 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Anyone have a, or know who has a, ADX5000 ? Want to try one, but ain't none around.

If you find someone let me know, I am still itching for it after all these Months passing, as much as I love my HD800S.

They are hard to come by due to low sales in Australia, most stores barely even have any stock for them. Last time I checked, Minidisc had no stock, and had to wait a few Months for them just to get 1 or 2 back in stock.

Edited by bruc3