Correction: Output switch on front turns them on or off. Indicates they all run at once. So your active montiors you need to switch off their power when using the headphone tube amps. If you usually have them on and in sleep mode, that won't work. But if you turn them off anyway, all good.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

minunat    

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.   Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

Shootout #2 Previous caveats apply: Gustard A22 vs Sonnet Morpheus So, the Sonnet comfortably saw off the Giesler Kompakt in tonality, imaging and depth, albeit close though. The A22 is

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Maybe something like the Jotunheim 2. Good preamping. XLR outputs for your actives. RCA output for your tube amps. You just split the RCA outputs either with a adapter plug, or adapter cable, to both the tube amps. You can split the RCA signl just fine, it will obvisouly only play whichever amp is one and cans plugged into.

The Jot 2 volume pot is nice, it'll do well as preamp. Its also a nice SS options regardless. And now comes with output swtich on the front panel.

Oh great, didnt know you could split the RCA up. I think the Jotunheim sounds like it may do the job and would look nice on my desk. I will check it out now. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Correction: Output switch on front turns them on or off.

Yep all good, I will have my speakers off when not using it anyway.

Yeah. I've used adapters before, solid ones straight into the back of the unit, but I think if I was to do again I would just make a custom Y split RCA cable.

21 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah. I've used adapters before, solid ones straight into the back of the unit, but I think if I was to do again I would just make a custom Y split RCA cable.

Thanks will look into this.

Yep looking at it, your suggestion of  Ares II > Jotunheim > amps/speakers is a very nice solution.

NVM

Edited by bruc3

Used Bifrost 2. New Jot 2. They stack perfectly. And be down for about $1450 or so. Sell CMA12 for say 1700. Winrar.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah that's all fair.

So you either need;

1. SS Amp with good preamp functionality and the outputs you need

2. A splitter / switch that is high quality

3. A straight up preamp that has the input and outsputs you need

Maybe something like the Jotunheim 2. Good preamping. XLR outputs for your actives. RCA output for your tube amps. You just split the RCA outputs either with a adapter plug, or adapter cable, to both the tube amps. You can split the RCA signl just fine, it will obvisouly only play whichever amp is one and cans plugged into.

The Jot 2 volume pot is nice, it'll do well as preamp. Its also a nice SS options regardless. And now comes with output swtich on the front panel.

Second that from Ben. Splitting RCA and XLR seems to be fine if you have good quality adaptors - Mogami and above. IME, you don't seem to lose any output voltage, that would affect your volume control on the amp side. Plenty of really great SS DACs (Topping, SMSL, Gustard etc) at very nice price points or MB like Schiit Audio.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, many things to think about.

@Bengineer agreed, the schiit bifrost + jot is more appealing due to the wonderful stack they make, and keeping in mind my limited desk space.

Pontus is nice, but I am not willing to spend that much on a DAC just yet.

To be honest, not sure if my ears are even good enough to pick up the differences between DACs yet. Will find out I guess once I get another DAC.

1 hour ago, bruc3 said:

Thanks guys, many things to think about.

@Bengineer agreed, the schiit bifrost + jot is more appealing due to the wonderful stack they make, and keeping in mind my limited desk space.

Pontus is nice, but I am not willing to spend that much on a DAC just yet.

To be honest, not sure if my ears are even good enough to pick up the differences between DACs yet. Will find out I guess once I get another DAC.

IMO Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 would be better and more versatile 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

IMO Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 would be better and more versatile 

No it wouldn't !

Lyr 3 is a hybrid tube amp. It has one RCA input and one RCA output. His RCA requirements are for tube amps. So he would be tube buffering a tube amp? I know you like your tubes, but now I'm wondering if you just have them all plugged in together ahha.

Then on top of that it has no XLR output for his active montiors.

Sorry Matt, I have to agree with Ben on this one. For my requirements the Jotunheim would be the better solution.

But the Lyr 3 is the more versatile amp as its hybrid, but honestly dont think I want a hybrid amp now that I have gone full OTL.

I don't think Lyr 3 is versatile though. It's neither the strength of a full SS nor of a proper tube. At this level of gear it sort of sits in no-mans land as most here seem to have various amps. As a single box solution yeah maybe, might suit someone.

Anyway!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

It's neither the strength of a full SS nor of a proper tube.

Hence for me now that I have a proper tube amp, I would much rather get a SS amp then a hybrid.

If I could only have 1 amp, maybe a hybrid might be good option. But then again, I still rather have a really nice SS amp over a hybrid.

Here is my plan, I want to get the R2R DAC first to compare side by side with my CMA12 DAC, if I prefer the R2R then I will sell my CMA12 and get a ss amp/preamp.

If for whatever reason I end up preferring my CMA12, then probably not gonna bother changing anything and sell off the R2R.

Edited by bruc3

By the way, who has owned or heard both the Bifrost 2 and Ares II? How do they compare?

Heard both and I prefer the Ares II. I didn't compare them side by side, so going off memory, but the Ares really impressed me for the money.  If I had a Schiit amp I might be inclined to go Bifrost. 

Have you watched the review by MidFiGuy on YouTube?

Edited by elisix_
17 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

Have you watched the review by MidFiGuy on YouTube?

Thanks Jay, I will check that review and a few others.

19 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Desktop size - BiFrost 2, Ares II, Audio-gd R2R-11 or R-1, Holo Audio Cyan, Soekris 2541

Thanks Neil, many others I did not even know about. So good to have options.

2 hours ago, bruc3 said:

Sorry Matt, I have to agree with Ben on this one. For my requirements the Jotunheim would be the better solution.

But the Lyr 3 is the more versatile amp as its hybrid, but honestly dont think I want a hybrid amp now that I have gone full OTL.

No need to be sorry. 😀

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

@franky995 can you answer this one?

I had both and kept the Ares 2. Both are excellent at the price point and similar in performance. The Ares is a bit more laid back, BF2 possibly a bit more detailed. I would say they are roughly at the same performance levels, just different flavours.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, franky995 said:

I had both and kept the Ares 2. Both are excellent at the price point and similar in performance. The Ares is a bit more laid back, BF2 possibly a bit more detailed. I would say they are roughly at the same performance levels, just different flavours.

Thanks Frank, that pretty much sums it up from what I have been reading too.

I think I am currently leaning towards Bifrost.

• Like 1

Can’t go wrong with either! I bought the Bifrost 2 twice already so maybe I’ll end up with one again at some point.

• Haha 1

Bifrost 2 is the works. 🙂 Just before buying, I ran that past Neil because he has heard that before and he said go for it. True enough it's the tone I want and that makes me arrange for my Yggdrasil to be upgraded to analog 2 and unison usb as soon as I can with A2A because that's where my Yggy comes from.

In others news, Neil's Meze copper cables for Audeze arrived today and I'm now trying it out with LCD-3f into Elekit TU8200. Thanks for the express delivery Neil. 👍

The copper cable was just right with LCD-3f, presenting a good balance of very slight warmth and clarity. Just a shade darker than my Forza Claire Hybrid HPC that has a blend of silver / copper but it's a good tone.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, elisix_ said:

I knew I shouldn’t have hesitated on that Meze copper cable 😂 

Dibs if you move it on @Odyssey? 😊 

Jay, certainly. As it is I might move it on because I do want 4 pin xlr balance termination and also I may be looking for a silver or silver / copper cable. So I'll certainly keep you in mind. Cheers.

It is a very nice, soft and flexible cable though. Won't coil and fall nicely.  Oh you have seen it that day at Peppy's place.

As good as the LCD-3f sound, I know I needed the LCD-4 and Utopia. As soon as I switch from LCD-3f to He1000se, I know it's no contest. He1000se wins by a mile. It's probably the only headphone I need but I want to try the Abyss 1266 phi TC. 🙂

Edited by Odyssey
18 hours ago, bruc3 said:

By the way, who has owned or heard both the Bifrost 2 and Ares II? How do they compare?

Personally, if you were likely to get the Jot2 amp I would get the Bifrost 2. Great dac by all accounts and they will match in looks as well. To me that's important.

I was looking at these 2 dacs myself but up with a Chord Qutest after liking the Mojo.

The Gieseler Kompact is also great for the money and @BlueOceanBoy rated this dac highly and I would agree with his thoughts.

FYI I have not demo'd either of the 2 dacs you mention.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Personally, if you were likely to get the Jot2 amp I would get the Bifrost 2. Great dac by all accounts and they will match in looks as well. To me that's important.

I was looking at these 2 dacs myself but up with a Chord Qutest after liking the Mojo.

The Gieseler Kompact is also great for the money and @BlueOceanBoy rated this dac highly and I would agree with his thoughts.

FYI I have not demo'd either of the 2 dacs you mention.

Big fan of Qutest! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tarzan said:

I agree, hence why I am leaning towards the Bifrost.

I know Chord gear always gets rave reviews and is well loved, but they always look so strange (ugly) imo lol. Aesthetics is pretty important to me too, but obviously sound takes priority.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Big fan of Qutest! 

Yup at Minidisc, Qutest - Auris Nirvana - LCD4 was a nirvana moment.

13 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Jay, certainly. As it is I might move it on because I do want 4 pin xlr balance termination and also I may be looking for a silver or silver / copper cable. So I'll certainly keep you in mind. Cheers.

It is a very nice, soft and flexible cable though. Won't coil and fall nicely.  Oh you have seen it that day at Peppy's place.

Thanks. Just let me know. :)

I'm thinking i'd use this SE copper for my Hugo 2 around the house and buy the XLR silver for my V281 at home. 

Edited by elisix_

All this talk of Jot 2/Bifrost is confirming where I will probably end up. I have the Bifrost 2, but a phono-equipped Jot 2 will give me 3 x analogue inputs as well as proper pre-amp switching capabilities for my near-field set-up. Plus, more headphone power than I'll ever need. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mightygrey said:

All this talk of Jot 2/Bifrost is confirming where I will probably end up. I have the Bifrost 2, but a phono-equipped Jot 2 will give me 3 x analogue inputs as well as proper pre-amp switching capabilities for my near-field set-up. Plus, more headphone power than I'll ever need. 

Make sense. I have Bifrost 2 connected to my Elekit preamp / phono / amp combo and that works for me too except I still have a big custom amp coming up in June. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I have Bifrost 2 connected to my Elekit preamp / phono / amp combo and that works for me too except I still have a big custom amp coming up in June. 

Oh didn't know you also had a Bifrost 2. When did you get one?

40 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Oh didn't know you also had a Bifrost 2. When did you get one?

When Schiit was born. It’s yours for $999

• Like 1

I am getting back into headphones again 

In the recent past I have sold all my headphones and associated gear 

The problem laid in comfort 

I have larger ears and after a short hiatus I am going to choose a set with my eyes fully open

Now I am going looking to get a “used pair” of  over ear , large cup , reference or close to reference pair of headphones 

After looking at what’s available especially in the models available with large cups for large ears 

Sennheiser HD 660 S or HD 700 or HD 800 

AKG - K702 ( but I don’t like the steel wire head frame ) 

On the budget end that also punches above there weight in sound quality reproduction ( as the reviews say ) with extreme comfort 

Philips Audio SHP9500 

All recommendations and opinions on the listed models above welcome 

PM me if you have a pair for sale - but again they must have large ear cups