11 hours ago, Farpun said:

Hey sorry haven't had a good chance to reply.
I've heard of sonarworks, I'm apprehensive if I have to pay for it, is it free?
I'm quite interested.
The Atom Amp is brilliant and in my opinion all that you need from an amp.
Really happy with how it has improved my portapros I couldn't believe it.
I really want to try/get a HD600 because I love the HD650 so much

No probs. The desktop app has a 10 day trial, and costs 79 Euro. Mine just ran out, so I might check out the 'Reference 4 Headphone Edition' and se if it has more user control. My Atom arrived yesterday, so I'll have a listen tonight. For the life of me, I can't hear a difference between my tube amp and iphone/laptop, so will be interesting to compare. The only difference is that my iphone/laptop run out of volume and the tube amp has tons of power to spare.

7 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Sonarworks has a free trial. You select your headphone and it basically tweaks every aspect of the frequency plot (they measure in their lab) to try make it dead flat. Then you can add more bass. I don't know if the full version has more control?

Seems to had like 3bd or so of volume at the same time, maybe to trick you into thinking it sounds better, when its just louder.

Anyway, didn't like it on the Clear. More bass, but overall worse sound.

Initially I suspected that the volume might be boosted, but it could be that the EQ'ing isn't necessarily flat and is actually boosted in some areas. Or, if the FR is being flattened, and the portion of the FR below the target response, outweighed the portion above the target response; the overall volume will now be louder.

Ah true. What did you like about them?

I think the HD800 mid/treble/soundstage/"air" was all top notch. If you could acheive that with a better bass kick it'd be a truly great headphone.

And the comfort

Can’t knock the HD800 comfort. I had a pair of the HD800s for about a month. Was really hard to go from the Utopia to the HD800s. To be fair, most of my gear has been tuned to run the Utopias at their best. If I can get a pair of HD800 at the right price, I’ll mod them and see how they come up. I’ve got a nice tube amp waiting here for them. Otherwise I probably sell the tube amp and get some HE1000 v2. Would be good to have 2 flagship models in my collection.

Ask @Rickus nicely if you can go demo the Empyrean :|

Is Utopia quite similar to the Clear in general sound? I wonder if the Stellia would be more my thing.

Listen to Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band. Toward the end it gets hectic, and there is this drum fill/run that happens. With the Z1R that was just awesome. Really shone through. The Clear, not so much. Sits in the background a bit too much.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Ask @Rickus nicely if you can go demo the Empyrean :|

Is Utopia quite similar to the Clear in general sound? I wonder if the Stellia would be more my thing.

I'll bring the Empys to the next Brisbane HeadFi GTG.

The Utopia sound is definitely related to the Clear but still quite different.

21 hours ago, Benjet said:

Can’t knock the HD800 comfort. I had a pair of the HD800s for about a month. Was really hard to go from the Utopia to the HD800s. To be fair, most of my gear has been tuned to run the Utopias at their best. If I can get a pair of HD800 at the right price, I’ll mod them and see how they come up. I’ve got a nice tube amp waiting here for them. Otherwise I probably sell the tube amp and get some HE1000 v2. Would be good to have 2 flagship models in my collection.

MMMMM HEKV2, yummy. You think the SE model was a bigger development than from the V1's to the V2's?

MMMMM HEKV2, yummy. You think the SE model was a bigger development than from the V1's to the V2's?

I’ve only heard the V1 so I can’t comment on the differences, although I’ve read good thing about the V2. The SE are too expensive and would need to be a big step up in SQ to be worth considering.