Sign in to follow this  
Bengineer

General Headphone Chat

Which mod? Dupont one?

I did like the HD800. Just so very open, need the right setting

Yep, also got some Black Dragon cables on the way. I’ve always liked the HD800 but couldn’t get over the shrillness of its mids. Mod had gone a long way to fixing this and hope the cable puts it across the line. Loving the pairing of the tubes and these cans.

Awesome :)

Might own a pair again one day!

Anyone in Melbourne may wanna go to David Jones on Bourke Street,  Men department on level 3 where they have the HD800S and HD820 side by side for comparison in their audio demo room. 

I picked up a pair of HD800 after having the Audeze LCD2C for a bit and decided to keep both! They complement each other quite well. HD800 is reference, super detail and massive sound stage. The Audeze is intimate and warm, bit better bass. 

Legit. Your David Jones has headphones?

We have like one store up here now that has the odd Audeze model. That's about it.

Legit. Your David Jones has headphones?

We have like one store up here now that has the odd Audeze model. That's about it.

Which store are you taking about?

3 hours ago, Benjet said:

Which store are you taking about?

Federal Audio have a few Audeze models you can demo. Think they are Geebung area.

Audio Tailor has stopped stocking headphones, so only have a few models left, but not many.

JB Hifi sells iBuds too if you're keen.

Posted (edited)

I live 40-minutes from MInidisc in Chatswood NSW, I went there last week and demoed HD800s using a Sennhesier amp.

They're very detailed headphone, worth of a purchase. I used my own music and there was some areas I felt were slightly weak.

Some tracks during impact sections the soundstage explodes outwards on the  left/right channels, I didn't feel the full experience from that with HD800s. Overall, I would buy a pair in the used market because with the time I spent they impressed me with their detail and vocals.

At Minisic they have every headphone brand/model on racks, you can grab any model to sit down and listen.

The one that impressed me most for the price of $200 was Fostex T50 RP MK3 I preffered that over the newer T60 RP.

Some that were less impressive were the Shure models.

Edited by Ewok209

Thanks for the great impression of hd800, I'm really interested in getting an Modhouse Argon mk3. It's a T50RP mod and meant to be a big improvement over standard and good value for the money.
I would love to visit mindisc one day

I live 40-minutes from MInidisc in Chatswood NSW, IU went there last week and demoed HD800s using a Sennhesier amp.

They're very detailed headphone, worth of a purchase. I used my own music and there was some areas I felt were slightly weak.

Some tracks during impact sections the soundstage explodes outwards on the  left/right channels, I didn't feel the full experience from that with HD800s. Overall, I would buy a pair in the used market because with the time I spent they impressed me with their detail and vocals.

At Minisic they have every headphone brand/model on racks, you can grab any model to sit down and listen.

The one that impressed me most for the price of $200 was Fostex T50 RP MK3 I proffered that over the newer T60 RP.

Some that were less impressive were the Shure models.

Just now, Farpun said:

Thanks for the great impression of hd800, I'm really interested in getting an Modhouse Argon mk3. It's a T50RP mod and meant to be a big improvement over standard and good value for the money.
I would love to visit mindisc one day

I'll be heading back over soon I imagine to grab those Fostex. Its a really big deal being able to test headphones like this, you can narrow down what you want without playing mind games online. The only problem is,   if you go there too much without buying something you do  feel cheap, its a small store run by one guy mostly.

But damn yeh, they have every popular headphone, IEM, DAP, dac/amps,  I took my iBasso DX90 and listen to what you like, only the high-end models are behind the counter, you just ask.

I watch Lachlanlikeathing on YouTube who now works at mindisc so they have great staff.
I asked them about ordering in a hard to find headphone and they were really helpful.
I really want to support them because there's not many stores like them these days.

I'll be heading back over soon I imagine to grab those Fostex. Its a really big deal being able to test headphones like this, you can narrow down what you want without playing mind games online. The only problem is,   if you go there too much without buying something you do  feel cheap, its a small store run by one guy mostly.

But damn yeh, they have every popular headphone, IEM, DAP, dac/amps,  I took my iBasso DX90 and listen to what you like, only the high-end models are behind the counter, you just ask.

Just now, Farpun said:

I watch Lachlanlikeathing on YouTube who now works at mindisc so they have great staff.
I asked them about ordering in a hard to find headphone and they were really helpful.
I really want to support them because there's not many stores like them these days.

He turned up about 10-minutes before I was leaving. :) 

They're nice guys, very helpful.

If I go over again, I"ll grab some photos of the headphone racks, when you're addicited to audio gear its like heaven there lol. :P 

You guys suck :P

We literally have nothing up in Brisbane.

And the ZMF Ori look pretty awesome, if I had the money and was going a T50 mod, be a set of those. Not cheap though.

Yeah that would be great, since moving to south coast NSW it's alot harder to get there

He turned up about 10-minutes before I was leaving. [emoji4] 

They're nice guys, very helpful.

If I go over again, I"ll grab some photos of the headphone racks, when you're addicited to audio gear its like heaven there lol. [emoji14] 

I picked up a pair of Focal Clear from Minidisc on Friday. I'm amazed by how easy they are to drive. I've been using my Ak240 and my Note 9.

My Chord Hugo has recently been sent back to the UK for repairs. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a quote, hopefully it's only the batteries that need to be repaired.

I'm sure that they will sing with the Chord Hugo.

I'm tempted to buy the Chord Mojo to as a tempory solution.

Wing at Minidisc is great to deal with.

Which mod? Dupont one?

I did like the HD800. Just so very open, need the right setting

I’ve been messing around for the last few day rolling some tubes through my amp. The 800’s really need the right combination of tubes to sound their best but once you find it... oh Lordy these thing sing. Mind=[emoji2962]

Anyone rate these for under $60 delivered?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lindy-HF-20-Lightweight-Stereo-Headphones/391565908918?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 

I only use cans in short in-frequent bursts of under an hour, to A-B vinyl in my setup at home.

I guess I could take these on PT weekdays too, but at the moment I'm just using IEM's and they are fine.